Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Best Buy and tv purchase

Best Buy and tv purchase
macfantn
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2009, 08:01 PM

I bought a 32" insignia 720p tv 12/5 for my bedroom, decent tv for the money $349. My dad liked it so much he went out and bought one for himself. I've already mounted this on my wall btw, so he gets his last week 32" insignia 720p $349, I help him mount his, and when I opened the box his comes with a much nicer remote that controls other devices even has dvr controls. I don't want to go through the hassle to take my tv down to return it. Do you think best buy would just swap out the remote? I tried calling them, and they didn't understand what i was talking about. I don't want to drive to the store to just get denied. (it's kinda far from my house)
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later"

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2009, 08:21 PM

You have to be willing to go all out to get what you want. Doesn't BB have a return fee if nothing is wrong?

Did you verify that your dad bought the exact same model? Don't be embarrassed by them when they point out it isn't the same model. Verify 100% up front you are right before you go.

I'd say it's not worth the effort. Be happy with what you have and not unhappy because your dad got a slightly better version. Don't be envious. Just enjoy what you have. It will save you a lot of trouble.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

macfantn  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2009, 08:26 PM

his model # is slightly different, probably just a replacement for the model I have. It's not that I'm envious, my remote sucks it's big bulky and poorly designed, his is smaller, well thought out and also controls other devices.
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later"

macfantn  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2009, 08:35 PM

btw they don't offer my model anymore.

EndlessMac
Senior User
Dec 29, 2009, 09:38 PM

I have a feeling Best Buy isn't going to just trade out the remote for you because this means they would have open a brand new box and then reseal it. This is not even considering that it's a different remote model, which might get Best Buy into trouble for not selling original parts. Customers are kind of sensitive to buying new things marked as new when it's been opened and obviously used as in your case. The next customer might figure it out and complain. Probably your best chance for an exchange would be to return the whole unit.

The other option you can try is eBay or basically find the other remote elsewhere. If Best Buy does end up taking just the remote back then be sure to let us forum members know which Best Buy you got it from so that we don't buy that TV from them.

reader50
Administrator
Dec 29, 2009, 10:09 PM

Find the part number for the new remote. Then order a replacement remote from Insignia. Oh, and make sure your Dad's remote works on your TV first.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Dec 30, 2009, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Find the part number for the new remote. Then order a replacement remote from Insignia. Oh, and make sure your Dad's remote works on your TV first.
it would work; same brand TV so factory would have it programmed with the Insignia codes. not to mention, the remote his dad has, is programmable; all remotes in the last 20 years that have device buttons; allow you to program the manufacture for them. so the one in a billion chance it wouldn't work, you program the code in for the TV button

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Dec 30, 2009, 07:51 PM

and to the OP; not worth the time/effort/fees to take yours back to get a that different remote.

insignia and other brands (even sony), simply rebrand. most common for the cheaper companies, is One-For-All. bet if you look on the back in the molded plastic or in the battery compartment/back of hatch either label or molded in, you will find the true manufacture and model number of it. google that, and order

just checked all my sony's; the case has sony part number (for replacements) on the front in off white lettering and molded into the plastic; but a couple of them had another manufacture part number with it.

my insignia remote, is the same that ships with LG TV i got in a bedroom...can't ascertain the manufacture by the model number...and they work with their old nameplate, Zenith, according to google hahaha

clarity: LG owns/sells Zenith branded products; hence why it google says it my LG remote would work. but either way, it is the same physical remote that came with my insignia (which is best buy's house brand).
( Last edited by residentEvil; Dec 30, 2009 at 08:24 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules