Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Thinking of buying a Macbook Air

Thinking of buying a Macbook Air
sothos
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 23, 2009, 05:56 AM

I am having a bit of trouble deciding what to buy.

I am a university student, so I switch frequently between classes. Portability is one of my priorities, so I am leaning toward the Air with the ff. specs:

2.13 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor
Nvidia 9400M Graphics Processor
128GB Solid State Drive
2GB RAM

I have the following concerns:

1. I will be creating the occasional video every now and then (sometimes it's needed for school), so will the system be able to handle that? It's just light editing and I don't mind if it's slow, but can just finish it. I also want to do some gaming, but I'm not too much into that.

2. Is 2GB RAM enough for current processing needs and for the next two years? I don't like doing too much multitasking (makes you less productive.)

3. I do not mind not having an optical drive as I have an external one. Will an LG optical drive work with the Air or do I need to purchase the SuperDrive?

4. Is the screen really better than the one on the MBP 13"?

5. I do not mind the lack of ports.

6. I really prioritize portability, and price is not much of an issue.

7. I might use it on a bed or couch, does it heat up that much?

8. Do rev C MBAs suffer from the hinge problem, and the screen lines problem?

These considerations in place, should I buy a macbook air? I'm leaning on it and would probably choose it, but I'm just making sure there is no compelling dealbreaker to make me go with the second lightest option (MBP 13")

Cold Warrior
Dec 23, 2009, 12:13 PM

For the SSD: the one apple gives you sucks. We had a good discussion recently here, http://forums.macnn.com/57/consumer-...ats-the-point/

SSDs are great if you get the right one.

The 2 GB RAM is a bit limiting, especially if you plan on multitasking between a number of apps. Since money isn't really a concern, max it out (to 4 GB, the MBA limit, IIRC).

EndlessMac
Senior User
Dec 23, 2009, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
The 2 GB RAM is a bit limiting, especially if you plan on multitasking between a number of apps. Since money isn't really a concern, max it out (to 4 GB, the MBA limit, IIRC).
I believe the max RAM for the MBA is 2 GB. I do agree that 2 GB is rather limiting if a person wants to multitask but sothos said he doesn't. Some applications will use up a lot of RAM but it doesn't sound like sothos will use those type of apps.

Sothos, you might want to go to the Apple store and see if the weight and size of the 13" is really a problem for you. If it's not then you get more for your money with the 13". If you indeed like the size and weight of the MBA more then that is a legitimate reason to get it. It will be slower for some things but it doesn't seem like you are going to be using your computer for many intensive tasks so the MBA might work well for you.

joe
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2009, 09:42 AM

sothos: I bought a refurb 2.13GHz MacBook Air direct from Apple a few months ago. Portability was right at the top of my list. But I also wanted faster performance. That's why I choose the faster CPU and SSD model. The SSD drive in particular seems to make the MBAir feel faster. I'll try to address some of your concerns based on my experience:

1 - I don't edit video but I have tried to run older games. The NVidia 9400M seems to be able to handle that surprisingly well for an integrated chip. I previously had a black MacBook with Intel integrated graphics which were unusable by comparison.

2 - 2GB is barely enough these days IMHO. I haven't run into any issues running Parallels 4 and WinXP programs. Video editing may require more tho.

3 - Any USB drive will work if it has it's own power supply. The main advantages of the MBAir superdrive is that it does not require a power supply and is very compact. It is powered through the MBAir USB port.

4 - I've compared both displays side by side in an AppleStore. The contrast and color quality are far better on the Air. Also, while the Air has a glossy display, it is nowhere near as refelective as the regular MacBook or Pro. This is probably because the Air does not have a sheet of glass glued to the display. You may want to visit an AppleStore and judge for yourself.

5 - I've gotten use to the lack of ports. My printer, disc sharing, and internet are through WiFi. I occasionaly use a flash drive via USB. I'm not against having more ports but I prefer the smaller form factor.

6 - You can save $250 if you wait for a refurb at the online AppleStore. That gives you the best of both worlds. My refurb MBAir was indetectable from new. Apple does a great job with their refurbs.

7 - Mine has never overheated. But I'd be careful to avoid blocking the vents on the back on this or any notebook computer.

8 - I travel extensively and have taken my MBAir on the road every day for months. No problems with either hinge or screen so far.

You may want to look into the MacWorld review of the Mid 2009 MacBook Air. It includes performance comparisons of previous MBAirs as well as MacBook and Pro models:
MacBook Air (Mid 2009) Review | Laptop | Macworld

Bottom line, there are performance tradeoffs to having the small MBAir form factor. But unless you're contantly rendering or number crunching the Air seems unexpectedly and surprisingly fast. A good part of that is the SSD drive. Maybe the extra L2 cache (6MB vs 3MB) helps as well. Good luck with whichever notebook you decide!

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Dec 24, 2009, 10:55 AM

I find Air's intensely irritating to work on. The RAM limit is far too low, the proc isn't fast enough and the weight and size don't offset the lack of ports or optical drives enough. The 13in MacBook Pro is near enough in size/weight for 95% of the time and it's a way more competent performer. (Of course all this is just my opinion)
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

pcryan5
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 24, 2009, 11:58 AM

If money "is not much of an issue" buy two laptops. (I have a MBP as well.)

I love my first generation Macbook Air for travel and meetings.

However with a 150GB iTune library it's limited storage alone would be a deal breaker if I had to pick one device only.

~P

sothos  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 25, 2009, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by joe View Post
sothos: I bought a refurb 2.13GHz MacBook Air direct from Apple a few months ago. Portability was right at the top of my list. But I also wanted faster performance. That's why I choose the faster CPU and SSD model. The SSD drive in particular seems to make the MBAir feel faster. I'll try to address some of your concerns based on my experience:

1 - I don't edit video but I have tried to run older games. The NVidia 9400M seems to be able to handle that surprisingly well for an integrated chip. I previously had a black MacBook with Intel integrated graphics which were unusable by comparison.

2 - 2GB is barely enough these days IMHO. I haven't run into any issues running Parallels 4 and WinXP programs. Video editing may require more tho.

3 - Any USB drive will work if it has it's own power supply. The main advantages of the MBAir superdrive is that it does not require a power supply and is very compact. It is powered through the MBAir USB port.

4 - I've compared both displays side by side in an AppleStore. The contrast and color quality are far better on the Air. Also, while the Air has a glossy display, it is nowhere near as refelective as the regular MacBook or Pro. This is probably because the Air does not have a sheet of glass glued to the display. You may want to visit an AppleStore and judge for yourself.

5 - I've gotten use to the lack of ports. My printer, disc sharing, and internet are through WiFi. I occasionaly use a flash drive via USB. I'm not against having more ports but I prefer the smaller form factor.

6 - You can save $250 if you wait for a refurb at the online AppleStore. That gives you the best of both worlds. My refurb MBAir was indetectable from new. Apple does a great job with their refurbs.

7 - Mine has never overheated. But I'd be careful to avoid blocking the vents on the back on this or any notebook computer.

8 - I travel extensively and have taken my MBAir on the road every day for months. No problems with either hinge or screen so far.

You may want to look into the MacWorld review of the Mid 2009 MacBook Air. It includes performance comparisons of previous MBAirs as well as MacBook and Pro models:
MacBook Air (Mid 2009) Review | Laptop | Macworld

Bottom line, there are performance tradeoffs to having the small MBAir form factor. But unless you're contantly rendering or number crunching the Air seems unexpectedly and surprisingly fast. A good part of that is the SSD drive. Maybe the extra L2 cache (6MB vs 3MB) helps as well. Good luck with whichever notebook you decide!
Wow that was really helpful advice! I'm glad that it's a competent computer. I would probably be much happier with the MBA rather than this scholarship-issued HP Mini 1001TU,which was painfully limited but really portable (which is why I was really intent on keeping the portability factor.) I would go and buy it on January 30. Thank you everyone! Merry Christmas!

msuper69
Professional Poster
Dec 27, 2009, 07:16 PM

The MBA (I have the 2nd gen, 1.83Ghz, 2GB RAM) is great for traveling use.

The only function that is suboptimal on mine is iMovie when working with HD. It is slow and you get the busy cursor a lot but it is possible to edit HD on it.

jogi
Dec 28, 2009, 08:15 AM

Based on my MBA ownership last year. Owned it for 10 months and sold it off to an MBP as it was capable as a primary computer.

Originally Posted by sothos View Post
I am having a bit of trouble deciding what to buy.

I am a university student, so I switch frequently between classes. Portability is one of my priorities, so I am leaning toward the Air with the ff. specs:

2.13 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor
Nvidia 9400M Graphics Processor
128GB Solid State Drive
2GB RAM

I have the following concerns:

1. I will be creating the occasional video every now and then (sometimes it's needed for school), so will the system be able to handle that? It's just light editing and I don't mind if it's slow, but can just finish it. I also want to do some gaming, but I'm not too much into that.

----
The system is way to slow to allow you to edit videos in a reasonable time. The main reason is that the processor is throttled down to 800mhz when at 100% full load for more than a few minutes to prevent overheating. This occurs with Youtube videos, skype calls and movies.
----

2. Is 2GB RAM enough for current processing needs and for the next two years? I don't like doing too much multitasking (makes you less productive.)

---
If you are not running parallels/vmware for Windows XP/Vista there shouldn't be any issues with 2GB ram. If you however you do any of the following then 2GB are not enough:
a. Edit photos in Lightroom/Aperture
b. Open more than a browser, mail, calendar and chat client at the same time
c. Install and run Windows XP in a virtual machine
The main issue is that the hard drive is so slow when used as swap file. Might be better with the SSD.
---

3. I do not mind not having an optical drive as I have an external one. Will an LG optical drive work with the Air or do I need to purchase the SuperDrive?

---
It should work. I've tried with a Lenovo drive and it worked.
---

4. Is the screen really better than the one on the MBP 13"?
---
It was. I dont think it is any more after Apple's upgrade of the 13 Inch Unibody to Macbook Pro. Best check it out for yourself.
---

5. I do not mind the lack of ports.
---
Me neither. But it is certainly good to have two USB ports instead of one! the biggest compromise was the awefull speaker. It is not even stereo and its placement below the keyboard produces horrible sound.
---

6. I really prioritize portability, and price is not much of an issue.
---
Buy the 13 inch MBP. You loose about 400 grams but get a more competent computer, i.e."
- upgradeable to 8gb ram
- whatever hard drive you want.
Just these two upgrades are enough to extend the life of a computer from a year to more than 3.
---

7. I might use it on a bed or couch, does it heat up that much?
---
Yes it does. The vents are on the bottom of the computer and are easily blocked. My MBA was stuttering when in a room with more than 25-30 degrees C and was unusable in bed. In contrast the MBP's (both 13 and 15 inch) have the vents on the back which allows them to be used on the bed with no issue whatsoever .
---

8. Do rev C MBAs suffer from the hinge problem, and the screen lines problem?

These considerations in place, should I buy a macbook air? I'm leaning on it and would probably choose it, but I'm just making sure there is no compelling dealbreaker to make me go with the second lightest option (MBP 13")
Macbook Pro Unibody 2.4Ghz

pcryan5
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 28, 2009, 02:06 PM

As an aside - my wife purchased me a new Macbook Air for Christmas. In spite of our accounts shows we own a MB, MBA and MBP the sales rep was adamant I would not be happy with the Air. She almost had to arm wrestle for the right to buy one.

Which of course I would never think of exchanging now!

EndlessMac
Senior User
Dec 28, 2009, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by pcryan5 View Post
She almost had to arm wrestle for the right to buy one.
That is one dedicated anti-salesman!

Originally Posted by pcryan5 View Post
Which of course I would never think of exchanging now!
The MBA does work for some people. It's similar to how laptops in general work for some people while it's a waste of money for others who prefer desktops. The MBA is a different kind of laptop for a different niche of customers. You know yourself better than other people so it really comes down to each person to answer the question themselves.

NeverTriedApple
Forum Regular
Jan 6, 2010, 10:30 AM

I bought an MBA few days back. I had 13.3 MBP before which is, apart from sharp edges cutting in the hand, a very sound laptop. I was quite happy with the latter but curiosity got the best of me so I made the move. Out of two moderate yet expensive configs available for MBA I went for 2.13/SSD version which is even pricier.

A few things that were immediately obvious (not that I didn't know of them prior to purchase, but):

1. Top spec MBA is slower than lowest spec 13.3" MBP (June 09 rev.)
2. MBP's new smooth glass trackpad wins over MBA's hands down
3. During intensive tasks MBA tends to heat up quicker. Cooling down with fully blowing noisy fan(s?) takes time.
4. Memory limit - biggest drawback (at least for me running WinXP in Parallels + SQL Server + ERP App, some light Photoshop and Illustrator from time to time).

Of course all above is a compromise due to size of the laptop. However big the compromise is - it's for buyer to decide. Main question though: with all the dissatisfaction will I ever want to go back to something thicker and heavier than MBA?

N E V E R !

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2010, 10:51 AM

I bought mine the first few weeks they came out. After two years, it still has the nicest screen of any laptop that I've ever seen. As for the processor, many laptops had the same one at the time. As for the ram, many laptops had 2 gigs at the time and many still come standard with two gigs even today. It's plenty powerful for I use it for. I love mine.

dedalus
Forum Regular
Jan 6, 2010, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by EndlessMac View Post
The MBA does work for some people. […] The MBA is a different kind of laptop for a different niche of customers. You know yourself better than other people so it really comes down to each person to answer the question themselves.
Exactly. If you test a MacBook Air in store, you will realise quickly enough whether it is the right machine for you, or not. I love the damned thing, personally, but, ultimately, it really is down to you. Everyone has different needs. Bon chance.

crazeinc
Jan 6, 2010, 10:08 PM

There's 8 people that work in my company and we have a fairly even split between the 13" MBPro, 15" MBPro, and MBA. I've spent time on each and I ended up buying a 13" MBPro.

The guys with the Airs will swear up and down it's the greatest laptop ever, but then they'll complain about heat, performance, and how applications like VMWare are basically unusable. In my opinion, the 1.5 pound difference doesn't matter when you consider all of the compromises Apple made for that to happen.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 6, 2010, 10:15 PM

I wouldn't buy a MBA until I know what the iSlate looks like.

-t

EndlessMac
Senior User
Jan 7, 2010, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
I wouldn't buy a MBA until I know what the iSlate looks like.
For any serious computer work I know I personally would hate to not have a true keyboard. I don't mind typing on something like the iPhone screen for text messages and short emails, but I prefer a real keyboard for any kind of long typing.

Some people might not have a problem with that but for me the keyboard alone would mean that a tablet would never replace a laptop for me. I guess we do have to wait and see what Apple will give us but I have a feeling that the tablet will cater to a different market than the MBA.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 7, 2010, 08:39 PM

For any serious computer work I know I personally would hate to not have a true keyboard.
True, but for *serious* computer work, I would also hate to have a MBA.

-t

EndlessMac
Senior User
Jan 7, 2010, 08:53 PM

True, but for *serious* computer work, I would also hate to have a MBA.

-t
That's also true but I was talking more about serious typing as opposed to serious work. For example, simple things like replying to emails and forums is kind of a pain on the iPhone but can easily be done on the MBA and they are not CPU intensive serious work. Maybe that's just me but I prefer a real keyboard for even those simple typing activities.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 7, 2010, 09:06 PM

That's also true but I was talking more about serious typing as opposed to serious work. For example, simple things like replying to emails and forums is kind of a pain on the iPhone but can easily be done on the MBA and they are not CPU intensive serious work. Maybe that's just me but I prefer a real keyboard for even those simple typing activities.
I think it will largely depend on what you use it for.

I'm pretty sure the iSlate will allow BT keyboards to be used. So put it in a stand at home to do more serious typing, while enjoying all the mobility you can get.

-t

EndlessMac
Senior User
Jan 7, 2010, 09:15 PM

I think it will largely depend on what you use it for.
I agree. This is why I said it wouldn't work for me personally. I'm sure other people will feel differently.

I'm pretty sure the iSlate will allow BT keyboards to be used. So put it in a stand at home to do more serious typing, while enjoying all the mobility you can get.
I was also thinking the same thing. My brother's Palm PDA had the ability to attach an external keyboard which made things very nice when he had to do some serious typing.

joe
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2010, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by crazeinc View Post
...The guys with the Airs will swear up and down it's the greatest laptop ever, but then they'll complain about heat, performance, and how applications like VMWare are basically unusable.
My NVidia based MBAir does not have these problems. WinXP/Parallels on my Air runs everything from work very well. And as a goof, I recently installed Doom3 and found my MBAir can play full screen at a decent clip.

No, my MBAir can never pass for a gaming notebook and I would not recommend it. This was only to demonstrate 2nd/3rd gen MBAirs can be VERY usable. Tho still slower than Apple's other notebooks (except perhaps models w/Intel graphics).

NeverTriedApple
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2010, 05:59 AM

see below.

NeverTriedApple
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2010, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by joe View Post
My NVidia based MBAir does not have these problems. WinXP/Parallels on my Air runs everything from work very well.
That depends on how many and what guest OSes one is running doesn't it.

Single instance Win XP with SQL Server 2K5 and ERP runs same on my MBA and all my other/former Macs but I wouldn't dare switching to Windows 7 or Windows Server 2K8, let alone running more than one of them concurrently on MBA. Not that I need to but for argument's sake.

Helmling
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2010, 06:25 PM

Okay, I too am thinking about an Air. I don't have any concerns about its features, but I am concerned about when the next update's coming. Does anyone have a sound projection for the next upgrade?

dedalus
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2010, 06:53 PM

For any serious computer work I know I personally would hate to not have a true keyboard. I don't mind typing on something like the iPhone screen for text messages and short emails, but I prefer a real keyboard for any kind of long typing.

Some people might not have a problem with that but for me the keyboard alone would mean that a tablet would never replace a laptop for me. I guess we do have to wait and see what Apple will give us but I have a feeling that the tablet will cater to a different market than the MBA.
Of course it will. You have people who type a lot, or fast, (who will want a proper keyboard, the kind who use Apple Extended keyboards via ADB adapters and such) on the one side, and everyone else on the other.

As Steve said, people don’t read.
People who do not read do not write, either. It’s a whole other market.

EndlessMac
Senior User
Jan 8, 2010, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
Of course it will. You have people who type a lot, or fast, (who will want a proper keyboard, the kind who use Apple Extended keyboards via ADB adapters and such) on the one side, and everyone else on the other.
I guess we will see once it comes out.

Originally Posted by Helmling View Post
Okay, I too am thinking about an Air. I don't have any concerns about its features, but I am concerned about when the next update's coming. Does anyone have a sound projection for the next upgrade?
The MBPs are rumored to be updated fairly soon so the MBA might possibly be updated as well. If you are willing to wait then it might be a good idea to do so.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2010, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by dedalus View Post

As Steve said, people don’t read.
People who do not read do not write, either. It’s a whole other market.
Wrong. I didn't read what you said, but I still responded in writing.

-t

Chinasaur
Senior User
Jan 8, 2010, 09:42 PM

Yep LOL
iMac - Late 2015 iMac, 32GB RAM
MacBook - 2010 MacBook, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM

joe
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2010, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by NeverTriedApple View Post
That depends on how many and what guest OSes one is running doesn't it.

Single instance Win XP with SQL Server 2K5 and ERP runs same on my MBA and all my other/former Macs but I wouldn't dare switching to Windows 7 or Windows Server 2K8, let alone running more than one of them concurrently on MBA. Not that I need to but for argument's sake.
Well for argument's sake I agree, (not much of an argument, eh?). But my comments were in response to a previous post about low performance and overheating. And those are true for the original MBAir with Intel Integrated graphics. Heck, they were true of my older 2GHz Black MooBook w/Intel graphics - you could cook dinner over it's keyboard.

The MBAir is not Apple's fastest notebook. And my 2.1Ghz model is not even Apple's fastest MBAir; the previous rev 1.86GHz is actually faster according to MacWorld testing. But the combination of SSD, NVidia graphics, and (to a lesser extent) faster 2.1GHz cpu, all contribute to my MBAir's faster performance, MUCH lower operating temps and ability to run XP and older games at a decent clip. YMMV so best to demo one at an AppleStore and judge for yourself.

Forum Links
Forum Rules