Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Cook: mind-blowing products this year

Cook: mind-blowing products this year (Page 2)
Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2012, 05:51 AM

What do people think of those ads on Youtube that you have to watch in order to get to your content? I find them annoying when I'm watching small clips but I think a well-targeted ad that makes you watch it (or maybe a couple of them) before you watch a downloaded movie or TV ep would be much more effective than the current model.

When you watch something you downloaded, you settle down, get comfy and hit play. When you flick across on normal TV, you expect 3-5 minutes of ads (mostly for feminine hygene products when you are about to watch Wrestlemania 25) so you go make a drink, pop some corn, take a bathroom break while the ads are on. If you just sat down and you know there is only one or two and they have a 75% chance of being of interest to you, then you won't mind and might actually pay attention.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2012, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
From what I understood a few years ago the supreme court ruled that MP3 file sharing was legal for personal use. IE you could sue somebody if they were selling your stuff, but if they were just downloading a copy you didn't have to worry about it. Which makes a lot of sense given that studies show that most people who buy the most content also tend to pirate stuff.
There are some exceptions for audio files, such as "private copying." But that involves only the downloading for personal use - Bittorrent is, quite specifically, not only downloading but distribution and communication of the file, as well. I'm not up on my IP but last I checked it seemed likely that Bittorrent was copyright infringement.

But you specifically said that your mom was torrenting shows/movies. There is no "private copying" exception for video files. It's illegal copyright infringment.

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
But there is no specific legal mechanism to deal with online infringement. In Canada, they would have to take every person sued to small claims court. The situation where thousands of American homeowners and students receive threatening settlement letters in the mail can't happen here.

So it's not legal, but it's not effectively enforceable either.
Yeah. So basically, everyone's going to do it until finally the Powers That Be have had enough and they start cracking down - and then everyone's going to whine like a bitch about it.

To add to that, I think our RCMP have come out and said that they don't have the resources to actively track IP infringement - it's tough for companies to monitor this sort of thing in Canada.

At the end of the day though, a sudden change in policy/legislation could turn things on its head - and I'd hate to be Salty's mom (generally, but specifically in relation to this) if I suddenly got sued because he told me to download stuff.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 28, 2012, 01:25 PM

Dat screen.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2012, 03:02 PM

My proverbial chequebook is ready.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

lpkmckenna  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2012, 09:34 PM

Apple announces iPad event for March 7 in San Francisco

"We have something you really have to see. And touch."

I guess it's "mind-blowing" then?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 29, 2012, 03:10 AM

Maybe Apple is going to announce little explosive pellets that you can lodge into your skull?

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 29, 2012, 04:28 AM

The iPad 3 will now include a can of Old Spice body spray.

Old Spice | Blown Mind - YouTube

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 29, 2012, 04:30 AM

Your signature never fails to amuse me, and amusing me is a noble feat

lpkmckenna  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2012, 07:21 PM

So I just finished watching the new iPad keynote, and at the end Cook again said that there are several more amazing products to come this year, that they are "just getting started."

I guess we are gonna see some significant movement in the Mac product line then. And maybe they really are gonna make a television.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2012, 08:44 PM

Fingers crossed for smell-o-vision

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 7, 2012, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
So I just finished watching the new iPad keynote, and at the end Cook again said that there are several more amazing products to come this year, that they are "just getting started."
Just remember, in Apple-Speak, *every* product they make is an "amazing" product. Last year, Steve spent a fair amount of time telling us how amazing the Smart Cover was.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 8, 2012, 12:19 PM

It amazes me that this surprises people. Did anyone really expect them to say "This is the 16GB iPad Wifi, but its a bit shit. The only amazing one is the 64GB 4G" or something like that?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Salty
Professional Poster
Mar 8, 2012, 10:57 PM

I ordered 2 16 gig iPads how would either be a bit shit?

macintologist
Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2012, 01:12 AM

I thought the "mind blowing" comment was very un-Steve like. Steve wouldn't have ever given anything away or hinted at anything.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2012, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
I ordered 2 16 gig iPads how would either be a bit shit?
Sorry, I forgot my [sarcasm] tags. There is absolutely nothing wrong with 16GB iPads, if anything they are better value than the more expensive ones. I was just pointing out that even to try and push higher end models of a product, the company making it is not going to refer to any of its products in a negative light, doing so would be madness.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 9, 2012, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Just remember, in Apple-Speak, *every* product they make is an "amazing" product. Last year, Steve spent a fair amount of time telling us how amazing the Smart Cover was.
I dunno about you, but first time I saw the Smart Cover in person, I found myself agreeing.

I'm a sucker for "So how do I—oh. That's neat", though.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2012, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
I dunno about you, but first time I saw the Smart Cover in person, I found myself agreeing.

I'm a sucker for "So how do I—oh. That's neat", though.
Sure, it was neat. All I'm saying is that I wouldn't be surprised to learn that use of such words as "amazing" are in Apple's branding guidelines.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2012, 10:57 AM

You know what would really be mind-blowing?

Multiple user accounts or a guest setting on iOS.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 9, 2012, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by SSharon View Post

Guest setting would be awesome.

Multiple user accounts would probably cut into sales pretty heavily.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 9, 2012, 12:29 PM

Heh. I've been saying this for the last two years. And no, a guest setting is not good enough. There should be full support for multiple user accounts.

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
Fingers crossed for smell-o-vision
That's so last year.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 9, 2012, 12:30 PM

Has anyone considered it might just be a fan for your brain?

SSharon
Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2012, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Multiple user accounts would probably cut into sales pretty heavily.
Really? I guess it depends on the device. A cell phone is inherently personal to me so having another username for my wife wouldn't cut into any sales since I have the phone with me all day. A family or bunch of kids sharing an iPad or iPod Touch would probably happen, but I don't think it would hurt sales that much.

My use case is my nieces and nephew that always ask to play games on my phone and I have to watch them like a hawk to make sure they don't mess with my work email.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2012, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Heh. I've been saying this for the last two years. And no, a guest setting is not good enough. There should be full support for multiple user accounts.
This has been something I've wanted since I got my first iPhone. That was before the app store even existed!

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 9, 2012, 12:36 PM

This has been something I've wanted since I got my first iPhone. That was before the app store even existed!
Actually, I was talking more about the iPad. For an iPhone, yes, a guest account would be sufficient. However, for the iPad, it's inadequate.

P.S. Mildly off topic but I somehow unlocked my phone in my pocket by accident, and managed to delete my native phone app somehow and couldn't get it back. I tried a bunch of different things and then finally had to reset my home screen to get it back. Unfortunately, that meant losing all my file folder structure and having to redo that. I wonder if I missed a setting somewhere but I just couldn't the phone app back otherwise. It was in that icon strip at the bottom, but I couldn't drag it out of there.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2012, 01:08 PM

How in the world did you manage to do that? Its impossible to delete the Phone app in the usual way. And doing it with your thigh?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 9, 2012, 01:08 PM

Really? I guess it depends on the device. A cell phone is inherently personal to me so having another username for my wife wouldn't cut into any sales since I have the phone with me all day. A family or bunch of kids sharing an iPad or iPod Touch would probably happen, but I don't think it would hurt sales that much.
I don't think multiple user accounts are necessary or desirable on an iPhone, at all.

The only thing of interest there would be a sort of "guest" mode, so I could hand it to my kid for a game or two, without having to figure on it coming back to me eventually with a random passcode set or, as you say, weird e-mails sent to colleagues.

As for iPad, right now, the multiple-account solution is "I haven't seen my iPad in days, as my wife and kid are hogging it. Give me another one, and make this one 64 GB please."

I imagine this works quite heavily in Apple's favor at the moment.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 9, 2012, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
How in the world did you manage to do that? Its impossible to delete the Phone app in the usual way. And doing it with your thigh?
No idea. It was with my hand in my pocket because it was cold outside, with my hand just resting on top of the phone.

I have never seen a deleted phone app before. My dock only had 3 apps, and they were centered. I should have taken a screengrab. Apparently I'm not the first one though, since there are how-to pages out there on correcting this problem. Unfortunately none of the solutions worked for me, except resetting the home screen.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2012, 05:13 PM

Hmm, wonder if there's some sort of secret combinations of button pushes that will allow you to delete those stock Apple apps. That would be good to know.

Or, you have magical pockets!

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2012, 05:31 PM

Guest mode would be great for everyone if only to prevent gratuitous fraping.

Forum Links
Forum Rules