Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Recommend touch screen gloves

Recommend touch screen gloves
Langdon
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 14, 2013, 07:15 PM

I was wondering what success and problems people have had with particular brands of winter gloves that are made to work with touch screens like those on cell phones and tablets.

I am not looking at gloves able to withstand fridge alpine climates but rather something that one may wear on their daily commute.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 14, 2013, 07:23 PM

Agloves work. Definitely not for arctic conditions, there's no shell.

The only problem is delicate touch activities are tough with cloth covering the tips of your fingers. I assume this is a general problem.

Langdon  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 14, 2013, 07:29 PM

I did see those. I was hoping to find something that has at least some wind proofing. Something that keeps the touch screen technology confined to the area of the finger/thumb that actually come into contact with your iphone. I don't see much point (other than ease in manufacturing) of having silver filament woven into the back of the hand of a glove the way aglove does.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 14, 2013, 08:01 PM

They fill a niche. Since there's no shell, they're very light and smushable. You're taking up negligible weight and space throwing a pair in a jacket pocket.

Full disclosure: I hate gloves. This year I said "screw it" and bought a giant box of chemical handwarmers.

That's the trick BTW. You need to buy in quantity. If you buy only one or two, you end up hoarding them.

andi*pandi
Dec 14, 2013, 09:42 PM

last year we tried these doohickeys that you insert into your own gloves, and some cheapo stretchy gloves with stuff on the index and thumb. Both worked as a cheap solution, but the cheapos were of course not very warm. The doohickeys didn't work with thick leather gloves, but worked fine with fleece mittens. The metal studs get chilly in cold.

This year DH is getting a pair of leather gloves from glove.ly, I will report back on their functionality, they are wrapped. For >$80, they should work.

Forum Links
Forum Rules