Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Google, TP Link reveal OnHub smart 802.11ac router

Google, TP Link reveal OnHub smart 802.11ac router
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Aug 18, 2015, 01:38 PM

Advancing its smarthome agenda, Google partnered with networking company TP-Link to debut the OnHub smart router. The new router, controlled by the iOS or Android Google On app, supports Bluetooth Smart, ZigBee/Thread 802.15.4, and Google's Weave, in addition to boasting wireless networking across 2.4 and 5GHz frequencies.

The router is powered by an IPQ8064 dual-core processor at 1.4Ghz. Wired networking is provided by a single Gigabit WAN port, and a single Gigabit LAN port. Additional connectivity is a single USB 3.0 port. Wireless networking is supported by six 2.4Ghz, six 5Ghz, and a congestion-sensing antenna. An ambient light sensor controls six tri-color arrays for status broadcasting, as well as for decorative reasons.

The Google On app provides initial setup of the router, as well as for monitoring of connections, and used bandwidth by each. Firmware updates for the router will be performed automatically, with the companies claiming that the user experience will not be interrupted by software revisions.

The router is available for pre-order for $199, and will ship "in the coming weeks." Retail stock will be had before Christmas at all major electronics retailers.

macdude22
Forum Regular
Aug 18, 2015, 02:06 PM

The media is swooning over this thing! So when apple makes a high quality, ultra easy to use router it's an overpriced rip off but when Google does it WOW THIS IS GREAT.

Mind you I'm not against this thing, I just find the hypocracy in the industry staggering.
"Don't try to be a great man, just be a man."

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Aug 18, 2015, 02:30 PM

I'm not super jacked about the one Gigabit LAN port. Nor the now universal Google monitoring of Internet traffic.

prl99
Senior User
Aug 18, 2015, 04:09 PM

So nobody thinks I'm just criticizing non-Apple products without any justification, I went to the OnHub website and grabbed some more tidbits of information. "OnHub speaks human." "The Google On app guides you through an easy-to-follow setup, so you'll be online in minutes." "Choose a password you can remember, and share it with a friend using the Google On app." (immediately captured by Google during their "universal monitoring of internet traffic") "Infineon SLB 9615 trusted platform module" I haven't tested this trusted platform but when you combine anything with Google, you end up having to trust Google, which in this day and age, is foolish. As @Mike mentions, one LAN port means you'll need to connect an ethernet switch for those non-wireless items (yes, people like me still use wired ethernet).

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2015, 08:31 PM

I'm a little surprised they didn't opt to sell it for $99 "with special offers."
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Forum Links
Forum Rules