Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Mozilla 1 for Classic Mac OS

Mozilla 1 for Classic Mac OS
hempcamp
Forum Regular
Apr 28, 2002, 02:07 AM

I guess this is the best MacNN forum for this...

I want to encourage any Mac OS 8.x users to e-mail Mozilla.org or post to the Mozilla newsgroups support for an OS 8 version of Mozilla 1. I was dissappointed to learn that it would not run on my OS 8.6 box, especially since it is supported on so many other much more obscure platforms (I mean, come on guys, how many people seriously browse the web with a VMS or AIX box?).

The problem seems to be with a bug that the main team seems to have decided not to address, and (lazily) they just made the official release require OS 9 and up. If it were any platform but Mac OS I might be able to find that bug and fix it myself; however, CodeWarrior Pro is required to compile Mozilla on the Mac.

(Dubious, eh, for an open-source browser to require a specific non-free compiler? Back in the day the *nix gurus working on an open-source browser would have never allowed this! It kinda defeats the purpose...)

Anyway, if you have the means and the knowledge to work on this bug yourself, I would applaud you heavily for doing so. Otherwise, write to Mozilla.org!!!

Thanks for your support,
Chris
Current: iMac 20" 2.4/4/320 / iMac G4 800
Portable: iPhone 3G White/16 / 12" PowerBook 1.5/1.25/80
Former: PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8 / iBook G3 700 / PM 7500, 3G iPod 10GB, 5.5G iPod 30GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules