Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Really locked out of my MacBook.

Really locked out of my MacBook.
dzp111
Senior User
Nov 4, 2010, 06:28 PM

I played around password stuff -again. But as long as I have a couple of backups I'm not too concerned when I totally screw up. I just need to know how to get out of this latest mess.

The problem it seems; I'm locked out of my Mac's HD (10.6.4). It won't boot up from any startup device. Every username/password I know and tried won't release a thing except for the one account I'm using. I noticed that the Accounts pane shows me as having a Standard Account. There is no longer an Administrator there.

Tried:
• Booting from Install CD
• Booting from a friend's CD
• Time Machine
• Carbon Copy
• Target Mode
• Single User
• Cuddling it

help?

(keyboard works fine)
.................................................. .................................................. ..................................www.DNCH.com

.................................................. .................................................. .......................www.daniel.poirier.com

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Nov 4, 2010, 06:42 PM

Tried deleting the AppleSetupDone file. start in SUM and follow these steps:
10.5: How to reset Leopard back to the Setup Assistant - Mac OS X Hints
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Person Man
Professional Poster
Nov 4, 2010, 07:42 PM

Did you play around with passwords or with permissions? What you are describing sounds more like a permissions issue.

dzp111  (op)
Senior User
Nov 4, 2010, 09:21 PM

Didn't play with Permissions...or maybe I did.

Now my name is showing as an Admin, but opening that lock is not possible. It shows that it has something to do with System Preferences itself.

This is what I get whenever I try my password(s):

.................................................. .................................................. ..................................www.DNCH.com

.................................................. .................................................. .......................www.daniel.poirier.com

dzp111  (op)
Senior User
Nov 4, 2010, 09:39 PM

Yes!!

I was able to get in using 'root' as an admin.

What happened?

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 5, 2010, 08:11 AM

FIRST THING: set up a new user account that has admin privileges and see if you can log in with that account. This will probably help demonstrate whether your password antics caused the problem or if something also happened to permissions on the way. It'll also give you another avenue to log in with (if it works) so you're not only logging in as "root," which is in my opinion kind of risky for regular use.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

-Q-
Nov 5, 2010, 12:13 PM

Second Glenn's recommendation. Since "playing around with password stuff" got you locked out of your machine, being logged-in as root and not having the required experience can really hose your system (and open you up to some serious security issues).

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2010, 09:31 PM

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2010, 09:36 PM

Open the Console application which is in your Utilities folder, then try the "lock" auth panel again. Perhaps something useful will show up in the console.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Forum Links
Forum Rules