Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > should I use OSX or OSXServer for remote connections?

should I use OSX or OSXServer for remote connections?
michael_rc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2011, 09:00 AM

Hi,

I have two old ibooks that are very slow and near their end. Rather than replace them with new laptops, I'd like to buy a MacMini and have my old ibooks act as "thin clients" to connect to the Mini. Basically, I'd like all applications, storage, and documents to reside on the Mini. I'll use my iBook to simply connect to the Mini and then remotely control and interact with it. What program(s) would I use for this?

Should I get a Mini with OSXServer on it? Or can I simply have OSX on the Mini and still allow two different laptops to connect in and control it?

Thank you in advance for any advice.

-Michael

Mac Write
Mac Elite
May 4, 2011, 12:29 AM

Doing a VNC type system would be slow display with no audio. What exactly do you want to do with the ibooks? Also Lion will have OS X Server included as part of it when it comes out later this summer. What are the specs on the ibooks? Maybe as you say they've reached the end of their useful life and can't be used with newest software.
Get busy living or get busy dying
--Stephen King

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 4, 2011, 01:13 AM

What it sounds like you are looking for is something like Windows Terminal Services (or whatever it is called now) or SSH X11 forwarding. Alas, no such solution exists on the Mac. You could setup access to launch apps and store stuff remotely via a VNC based solution or the like, but you will not be able to have two users on different machines using the same apps at the same time. You won't even be able to share the GUI environment, as VNC will monopolize the GUI as if you are physically at the Mac Mini - you cannot have two users using this simultaneously.

If there are solutions to do this, they aren't bundled with OS X. The best you could do is share X11 based apps, and there would be limitations there as well.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
May 4, 2011, 01:14 AM

I would wait for Lion and see what that brings to the table.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 4, 2011, 05:40 AM

Screen sharing and ARD are both limited to one at a time. Lion may change this. May.

The only way I can think to do it now is to run two virtual OS X Servers on the mini and remote into one from each iBook. You still won't get any audio though.

Unless you are talking about running a directory service. You could hold user data on a server and bind your iBooks to it. Give them portable home directories and then they will sync up on login and logout when the server is available. That could be done with a Mac Mini Server right now. I'm not writing instructions for that here though sorry. Gotta make a living somehow.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 4, 2011, 01:38 PM

Two OS X Server VMs would indeed work for sharing apps, but chances are having both VMs running will probably require more RAM than the Mini will support to run optimally.

I doubt Lion will change this, but we'll see...

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 4, 2011, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by michael_rc View Post
Hi,

I have two old ibooks that are very slow and near their end. Rather than replace them with new laptops, I'd like to buy a MacMini and have my old ibooks act as "thin clients" to connect to the Mini. Basically, I'd like all applications, storage, and documents to reside on the Mini. I'll use my iBook to simply connect to the Mini and then remotely control and interact with it. What program(s) would I use for this?

Should I get a Mini with OSXServer on it? Or can I simply have OSX on the Mini and still allow two different laptops to connect in and control it?

Thank you in advance for any advice.

-Michael
You're overthinking this.

Buy a MBP and be done with it.
The iBooks are too old to be of any use.

-t

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 4, 2011, 02:22 PM

It's a legitimate question, it would be lovely if we could do what the original poster wanted in OS X, but I guess Apple is mostly concerned about maximizing hardware sales rather than providing this utility. A similar rationale may exist for virtualizing OS X client.

Solutions exist on the Windows and Linux side.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 4, 2011, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
It's a legitimate question, it would be lovely if we could do what the original poster wanted in OS X, but I guess Apple is mostly concerned about maximizing hardware sales rather than providing this utility. A similar rationale may exist for virtualizing OS X client.

Pfff.

The battery run-time for an old iBook will be less than 1 hour. No software solution would make that better.
Using the old iBook as a "mobile" reader is a very sub-par solution, no matter if it theoretically would work or not.

-t

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
May 4, 2011, 03:41 PM

I've never seen a windows terminal server setup the was "snappy".

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 4, 2011, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
I've never seen a windows terminal server setup the was "snappy".
Yes, let alone on 5-10 year old hardware.

-t

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
May 4, 2011, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post

Solutions exist on the Mac side, but it will not provide the experience that the original poster is looking for. Mac Terminal Server - Mac Remote Desktop - Virtualization - RDP - OS X Terminal Services

Doc HM
Professional Poster
May 4, 2011, 05:40 PM

I think it's probably best to acknowledge that although the OP would rather not replace the iBooks, in reality this is by far the best/most practical solution. Considered getting used Macbooksor MBP's as an alternative to new hardware?
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 4, 2011, 06:17 PM

Terminal services on Windows is generally much snappier than Apple Remote Desktop. Especially over the internet. Still not exactly snappy though.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 4, 2011, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Yes, let alone on 5-10 year old hardware.

-t

Your point about battery life might be valid if a replacement battery is not a possibility and it is important to run without AC, but a thin client doesn't need fast hardware, this is the whole point. It would run fine on old hardware, in theory.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 4, 2011, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
I think it's probably best to acknowledge that although the OP would rather not replace the iBooks, in reality this is by far the best/most practical solution. Considered getting used Macbooksor MBP's as an alternative to new hardware?

Yeah, AquaConnect looks promising. One nice thing about RDP based solutions is that audio is forwarded on to the client.

Forum Links
Forum Rules