Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Constructive Crit Requested: PDF Design

Constructive Crit Requested: PDF Design
duoikari
Forum Regular
Jul 6, 2011, 02:46 PM

I create a pdf based on the concept of the Lionel Richie song "hello" (This was advised by my tutor), however i have applied to over 30 jobs and have not got any responses. Now i don't know if it's my work, or the way it is laid out, or the concept behind the pdf, was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers, i am looking for a job near and around London and i apply for all low levels graphic design jobs

Sarah Jones pdf

andi*pandi
Jul 6, 2011, 03:07 PM

The lionel ritchie isn't really coming through as a concept. Maybe a change of font or some artwork. A photo of you, or a sunset? I'm not sure if concept is the way to go, or present info more up front. It would be a good idea to have interactive links on the first page that go to the CV or portfolio pages.

Did your tutor review this with you? Why not a webpage? Is this the link you are giving to apply with, if so, most hiring managers are not going to sit through the "wait 60 seconds and look at our ads" kind of hosting. Find another host.

1) Typo on the first page. What's wrong with this sentence? "Hello, is it me your looking for?"

2) Punctuation on the CV. Be consistent. You need punctuation if your sentence is complete.

3) Verb tense agreement. My favorite aspects ARE x, y, and z.

4) Get rid of double spaces. No longer needed after a period, and completely wrong mid-sentence.

5) aN excellent. have workED.

6) CorelDraw is one word, but I'm surprised to find they are still in business.

I do like the Alice in Wonderland with the measuring tape. That works on several levels, since Alice grows and shrinks, and makes a clever bookmark. I'd love to see your illustrations since that's what your CV touts strongly.

duoikari  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 11, 2011, 07:08 AM

I believed that the lionel Richie thing didn't work, although my tutor loved to the concept. I discussed with him several options, such as making the colours connect with the song.

I am unsure on how to put direct links on a pdf, as i created this in indesign and ones that i looked at and that they sent us as example didn't have interactive links. And the pdf is normally directly sent in a email to people, i couldn't work out how to create a link which you guys could view, i tried photobucket but it wouldn't take the whole pdf and wanted it in pages.

Do you think that the way the work is displayed, such as the layout is a problem, as we was told not to have a consist layout as it would be boring, but i did think otherwise.

I actually don't have any illustration, my course was purely based on graphic design and if you done anything beside that you were pulled back around to doing something graphic related.

andi*pandi
Jul 11, 2011, 08:33 AM

Here is how to make a URL in InDesign:

Making URLS

For hosting, you should try DropBox. It's free. You put your file in the Public folder and ctr-click on it, you can pull down the menu to see the "copy public link" option.

duoikari  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 11, 2011, 08:41 AM

aww thank you, any ideas on how to improve the design of the cv, or shall i go with something simpler ?

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2011, 09:02 AM

Your link to your CV is broken.

duoikari  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 11, 2011, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Andy8 View Post
Your link to your CV is broken.
try this link http://dl.dropbox.com/u/34929476/Sarahjonespdf.pdf
( Last edited by duoikari; Jul 11, 2011 at 09:49 AM. )

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2011, 06:46 PM

It is too tedious to read with the font sizes, kerning and layout as is, especially pages 2 & 3.

andi*pandi
Jul 11, 2011, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by duoikari View Post
I actually don't have any illustration, my course was purely based on graphic design and if you done anything beside that you were pulled back around to doing something graphic related.
But now you are applying for jobs. You can show more than what you did in your course. Even better.

If you didn't do any illustration in your course, if you say:

"I am a versatile designer who enjoys working with different media, such as photography and a range of printing methods. My drawing skills are quite advanced"
Then you need to show it. Otherwise, is your CV truthful? Show it, don't say it. Maybe it's a personal project. Maybe it's a doodle or old Polaroids. If you keep with this theme, maybe draw Lionel Ritchie.

Back in my day, <cough> part of a graphic design program included illustration and photography classes, and you were expected to show drawing and photography in your design portfolio.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 11, 2011, 10:02 PM

1) Fix you're spelling. <-- see what I did there ?

-t

duoikari  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 12, 2011, 04:07 PM

Then you need to show it. Otherwise, is your CV truthful? Show it, don't say it. Maybe it's a personal project. Maybe it's a doodle or old Polaroids. If you keep with this theme, maybe draw Lionel Ritchie.

Back in my day, <cough> part of a graphic design program included illustration and photography classes, and you were expected to show drawing and photography in your design portfolio.
Well in the poster for the hrc exhibition was photographed and composed by myself, but i was advised by tutors not to include that particular poster and any other work i had not done on the course. And to be honest the work in the pdf i have shown is much better then any of the work i have produced. However on my course we wasn't really encourage to use illustration, as they didn't believe it was part of graphic design at all and photography was up to us really.

This was my old pdf, which at the time i thought was good, but was told by tutors that it wasn't i am wondering whether to mix the work together
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/34929476/sjonesPDF.pdf

andi*pandi
Jul 13, 2011, 10:05 AM

If that guitar/drawing tablet mural is your own illustration, it already shows more personality and creativity than your other CV. I would drop the adobe icons though, otherwise it looks like an adobe flyer.

I think Spring Concert and Monsters in the Closet deserve a spot in the portfolio. They are much more indicative of work you will do in the real world (flyers/posters vs artsy interpretations of alice in wonderland). I'm unsure how much of the magazine spread is your own art. I would leave out the zombie poster on the chance that hiring managers are browsing resumes over lunch.

Both of these could use a paragraph or two of explanation, description of design objective, list creative tools used to produce, etc like in the other PDF. Clearly delineate any "student" work from any "paid" work.

And all the good design in the world will get tossed if you have typos and bad grammar in your CV.

Forum Links
Forum Rules