Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Getting stuff out of trash

Getting stuff out of trash
duoikari
Forum Regular
Dec 19, 2011, 06:38 PM

Hi guys, i know this may sound so stupid but how do i get a file out of the trash?. I had some files on a memory stick that a moved to the trash, ejected the stick and ever since the files that I moved off the stick to the trash have remained in the trash as the files are locked and can not be deleted.

I have tried plugging the memory stick back in and moving the files back onto to it, which works but files don't actually move and still remain in the trash.

I didn't know if there was a way i could restore the files like on windows

reader50
Administrator
Dec 19, 2011, 06:58 PM

They're in the hidden Trash folder on the memory stick. You'll need to plug the stick in. Once it's plugged back in, there are several ways you can deal with them.

Get Info on each, and unlock them. Empty Trash should work afterwards.

If you want them out of the Trash, drag the files to another location on the memory stick. If you drag them to your Desktop (which is located on your boot drive) it will only make copies of the files, leaving the originals where they are.

Or you can get rid of them the quick way. Force Empty the Trash while the memory stick is plugged in - hold down Option while giving the empty command. You could also try a secure delete by holding down Command while giving the empty trash command.

If those don't work, have Disk Utility do a quick check of the memory stick. If no problems are found and the files still won't go away, you can either reformat the memory stick or use a Terminal command to delete them.

duoikari  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 19, 2011, 07:06 PM

oh thank you very much, holding down option down it in the end. Those files have been on my mac for like 8 months

Forum Links
Forum Rules