Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > CarPlay - Do aftermarket installs retain access to car settings and buttons?

CarPlay - Do aftermarket installs retain access to car settings and buttons?
Gametes
Mac Elite
May 15, 2015, 02:55 PM

As the title says, I'm considering replacing my current radio head unit with a CarPlay, and am having trouble determining from the scant reports and documentation how much, if any, of the existing vehicle functionality will carry over. I'd like to hear from actual owners, if anyone is one.

I've read that steering wheel controls are retained, if properly configured, but I'm also wondering about all the myriad buttons on the center dash, such as 'Config" and "Tone" and "Back", and even more so if there will be access to car settings, such as "how long should the lights stay on after the driver door closes" and "how intense should the fan be when automatic climate controls are on". These seem like pretty obscure, model-specific things, but I can also see the car's computer feeding such settings to any unit according to a standard.

Anybody with an existing high-complexity system (with lots of physical buttons, and car settings accessible via the screen) replaced it with CarPlay? What's your experience?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 22, 2015, 09:58 AM

Communication standards will vary by automaker and model. What do you have?

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
May 22, 2015, 12:45 PM

I'm wondering the same- I have a 2014 Mazda 6 Touring.

I have controls on my steering wheel and a "knob" near my shifter that controls the infotainment center by spinning and pushing down to click.

P
May 22, 2015, 01:11 PM

I don't have first hand experience, but I have heard good reviews of installation kits from

Car Audio Accessory Manufacturer

They sell connection kits based on the car you have so an aftermarket head unit can work with car's controls.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2015, 05:37 AM

I had this unit dropped into my 2005 VW GTI last week.

The buttons on the wheel work. Looks like it's always been there. Even has a GTI theme and a VW logo at startup. After driving around for years with a radio and a 6CD stacker, I suddenly have satnav, mp3, bluetooth...! I can finally use that damn phone button on my wheel that I've been looking at for ten years.

YMMV. It'll depend on your car and the system.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2015, 07:35 AM

Who makes that behemoth?
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2015, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
Who makes that behemoth?
It's a Hoff9000.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 29, 2015, 12:47 PM

I can't believe I didn't notice it was right-hand drive the first time through this thread. So perceptive.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
May 29, 2015, 02:29 PM

Find what fits your car - Crutchfield

I used this site to find the parts for my car. I retained steering wheel controls with my carplay setup (Alpine iLX-007).

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 29, 2015, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Face Ache View Post
It's a Hoff9000.

Rumor
May 29, 2015, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Face Ache View Post
I had this unit dropped into my 2005 VW GTI last week.

The buttons on the wheel work. Looks like it's always been there. Even has a GTI theme and a VW logo at startup. After driving around for years with a radio and a 6CD stacker, I suddenly have satnav, mp3, bluetooth...! I can finally use that damn phone button on my wheel that I've been looking at for ten years.

YMMV. It'll depend on your car and the system.
If I had to drive your car...

I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Gametes  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2015, 11:46 PM

I'm surprised the materials from Apple, Pioneer, et al are so scant on this subject. I can't see anyone being willing to render half the buttons on their car useless or outright eliminate functionality such as "whether the car honks or not when remote locked". For me, this was the first question that came to mind (other than "where do I sign up?"), yet I can't find the answer anywhere. Guess I'll have to actually consider calling someone...
you are not your signature

Forum Links
Forum Rules