Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Where's the AppleTV subsection?

Where's the AppleTV subsection?
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 11, 2014, 11:11 AM

I'm having trouble with one of my AppleTVs - all of my devices, wired or wireless, can see my wired Family Room AppleTV for AirPlay. But none of them show the option to use my wifi Bedroom AppleTV. Both AppleTVs are fully updated. All devices are able to ping both AppleTVs. The Bedroom AppleTV can play content from the iMac, but whenever I open up AirPlay, the Bedroom AppleTV is never shows as an option.

Most of the searches I did turned up people that couldn't see the AirPlay icon on their computer/phone, which isn't my issue. There were a couple people that seemed to have the same issue, but their questions went unanswered.

Any thoughts?

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Jul 11, 2014, 11:26 AM

What's your Wi-Fi configuration? Is it possible you're on double-NAT? Is your wireless network on a different subnet than the wired one (e.g., 192.168.1.1 versus 192.168.0.1)?

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 11, 2014, 12:35 PM

Same subnet. If I disconnect my iMac from its ethernet connection and connect via wireless, I can still only see the wired Family Room AppleTV. And everything can ping the Bedroom, but it doesn't show up for me in AirPlay.

reader50
Administrator
Jul 11, 2014, 01:57 PM

AppleTV falls in Consumer Hardware, assuming a hardware issue. A software issue might go in iDevices, since the modern AppleTVs run iOS. Your issue could be networking- or OS-related.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2014, 02:30 PM

Hence my confusion. If I knew which part of the system the bug was in, I could put it in the proper subsection. Of course, all of that was a farce to excuse my putting this in the Lounge.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2014, 09:19 PM

Have you tried a settings reset? Can the AppleTV load content from its internal channels?

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 12, 2014, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by abbaZaba View Post
Have you tried a settings reset? Can the AppleTV load content from its internal channels?
I haven't tried a settings reset. The AppleTV can play Netflix and YouTube content just fine.

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2014, 02:24 AM

Did it ever work? Have you tried ethernet for the non working device (perhaps your router is blocking bonjour on wifi clients but not wired.) Are you using an airport router?

If all else fails, try this on the Mac:

sudo launchctl unload /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist

sudo launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2014, 07:41 PM

I pulled the ethernet from the working Family Room ATV so that it had to use wifi and I was still able to see it from my other devices in AirPlay. Maybe I'll bring the non-working ATV down here so I can connect it to ethernet and see what's up.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2014, 07:50 PM

Tried a Network Test while hooked up to ethernet. Couldn't communicate with Apple. I'm doing a full restore to see if that improves anything.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2014, 08:30 PM

Did a clean restore and setup, works now. Don't know why I didn't try that first.

Forum Links
Forum Rules