Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > cheapest way to add 802.11b to a beige G3?

cheapest way to add 802.11b to a beige G3?
Gerson
Nov 16, 2002, 01:49 PM

Hi,
Apologies if this has been covered already...the search function is down, and I don't remember seeing this topic in the past.
I have a beige G3 minitower, 266MHz, 224 MB, running OS 8.6 with a USB PCI card installed. My housemate wants to switch to a wireless router--what's the cheapest way (PCI card, USB device, whatever) to get wireless ethernet access on my Mac?
Thanks in advance--I've always found the MacNN community to be very helpful.

rambo47
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2002, 03:47 PM

I was using the Proxim SkyLine PCI card and Wireless PC card (sold together as a bundle) with my B&W and OS 8.6 through OS 9. You might remember this company as Farallon. Anyway, operation was flawless and connection to both an AirPort Base Station and a generic wireless access point was a snap.

When I was using this product there was no support for Mac OS X, and so I replaced it with a Cisco Aironet card. Cisco's card was expensive but had support for OS X in older non-Airport machines. Now, however, the Proxim card has available third party drivers for Mac OS X and even works with Jaguar. Either way, the Proxim gear seems to be the way to go. I have my old PCI card with PC card here somewhere and I'd be willing to sell it for $110 shipped. Proxim lists the bundle on their online store at $160 plus shipping.

Another cool thing about the Proxim SkyLine unit is that you can pull the PC card from the PCI carrier in the PowerMac and slip it straight into the cardbus slot on the side of a laptop and use the laptop on your wireless lan. Then eject it from the laptop and it slips right back into the PowerMac for instant wireless connectivity. I used my SkyLine PC card on both a Wallstreet Powerbook and Sony Vaio notebook on my home network.

Gerson  (op)
Nov 16, 2002, 11:33 PM

Thanks for the reply! The list of machines that the Proxim gear won't work with is a little unnerving. My computer has the same machine ID and ROM revision as one of the unsupported computers, except it's a beige *minitower* instead of a *desktop*. So it should work, no? Or am I misreading the page?

Anyone know of something even cheaper, perhaps a PCI card-only solution, instead of a PC card with carrier? (I don't have a laptop and don't intend to buy one any time soon).

mac-at-kearsarge
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2002, 12:03 AM

Get the Linksys WET11 wireless ethernat bridge it works without drivers on ANYTHING with an ethernet port. check out the actual product here: http://www.linksys.com/products/prod...id=22&prid=432 . after looking If you follow think "where to buy" from the top of the page, then then got Etailers you can get it for $95.91 (US) from amazon.com (It suggested prices is $190.00US). this is definatly the cheapest option, and it garenteed to work.
iGeek

Forum Links
Forum Rules