Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Quark pic nightmares!!

Quark pic nightmares!!
red_shoes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2002, 09:05 PM

Help!
My quark is not happy!
Every time i import pics they take ages to appear in my pic box. The pics vary from tif, jpeg and lay files. They are not high res and usually pop in straight away. I have trashed prefs, checked everything in quark relating to pics and no joy!

I am using PhotoShop 6, most files are being opened and resaved, could it be something in my p.shop?

Please help!
Cheers!

PS: i am also getting an "out of memory" message in quark

digimage
Banned
May 9, 2002, 10:31 PM

Originally posted by red_shoes:
<STRONG>Help!
My quark is not happy!
Every time i import pics they take ages to appear in my pic box. The pics vary from tif, jpeg and lay files. They are not high res and usually pop in straight away. I have trashed prefs, checked everything in quark relating to pics and no joy!

I am using PhotoShop 6, most files are being opened and resaved, could it be something in my p.shop?

Please help!
Cheers!

PS: i am also getting an "out of memory" message in quark</STRONG>
Um. Stop using Quark?

Seriously, Quark has some issues with graphics. I've called tech support in the past when I used quark and was either hung up on or cursed at.

Unfortunately, you'll need to call them.

I'd reinstall the system software first tho. Because thats exactly what the'll tell you to do.

I can't wait to hear Quark's excuses when they port to OSX and the app still doesn't work.

buchrob
Forum Regular
May 9, 2002, 11:33 PM

Originally posted by red_shoes:
<STRONG>Help!
My quark is not happy!

Please help!
Cheers!

PS: i am also getting an "out of memory" message in quark</STRONG>
Your PS is the clue to everything, and no one learns anything from just slinging mud at Quark, Adobe, etc. One bad font or picture can cause Quark to panic badly.

What you would probably hear from Quark technical support (and which you should do by yourself rather than holding forever on a non-tool-free phone line) is:

1) trash Quark and re-install.
2) allocate at least 64 mB to the Quark application in the "Get Info" dialog box when single-clicking the application.

The following are entirely on my shift, and not yours or Quark's:
1) Do a Command-Shift-3 to do a screen grab of your desktop. This will create a file called Picture1 in your root folder in the mac's native picture format, PICT.
2) Launch Photoshop, open Picture1 and Save As... TIFF, making sure your options indicate Mac file format, not PC, under a different name.
3) Then do a save as EPS, again making sure that the file format is mac, again under a different moniker.
4) Launch Quark, start a new document and try importing all of the above. Make sure that in the document preferences that pictures are being displayed normally, and not greeked or low-res. If Picture1 looks correct, and all of the others are wrong, then you have a Photoshop problem. You should probably re-install.
5) If all of them are wrong, then it's Quark or a basic system setting for sure.
6) If the test document is fine, but the original one is still a problem, then it may be a bad font or picture in that original one.

Finally, try printing your test Quark file and see if it matches what you see on screen.

red_shoes  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 10, 2002, 02:53 AM

Thanks for the help but amazingly I think I fixed it myself!!
In the document prefs my picture import verification was switched on. Do not ask how this happened, I never go in there!
Since the big crash and my "fixing" of the prefs, I haven't had a problem!

I still love Quark �warts and all!

Forum Links
Forum Rules