Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Best drawing software?

Best drawing software?
Grauniad
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2001, 02:17 AM

I am looking for a Macintosh application to create and edit object-oriented line drawings. I would like something with similar capabilities to the X Windows program xfig. That is, the ability to draw freehand lines, straight lines, arrows, rectangles, polygons, ovals, text (in wide range of fonts), color, maybe splines, to snap to a (fine) grid, to group and ungroup objects (for moving, copying), to scale/rotate, to intelligently move points (with incident lines), to output in different open formats such as EPSF (for LaTeX docs) and GIF/PNG (for HTML docs), etc. The drawing tools in Microsoft Office are too primitive for my needs. I've heard that CorelDraw is very good, but it's commercial and very expensive. What is the drawing component of AppleWorks like? What other commercial or shareware applications do you recommend?

Gregg
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2001, 10:30 AM

Design Workshop Lite is a small freeware program that might suit your needs. I know of it, but have never taken the time to learn to use it. You can probably find it by searching the software archives at www.machome.com since they have placed it on one of their bi-monthly CDs that come with the hardcopy magazine subscription.
Ya gotta applaud those bunnies for sacrificing their hearing just so some guy in Yonkers can have better TV reception.

Indigo Boy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 30, 2001, 12:07 PM

Not long ago (perhaps November of 2000) Corel was offering CorelDraw 8 LE as a free download. Check out their site; I'm pretty sure it's still available. It obviously isn't the full CorelDraw, but from the MacWorld.com review (which I can't seem to locate now--you might be able to find it, though), it was pretty capable.
http://www.corel.com/draw8mac_le/index.htm

drfrank
Forum Regular
Feb 4, 2001, 11:45 AM

Have you tried Canvas? You can download a demo from their website. There is also a lite version of the software available. You can always go to Adobe Illustrator (what I currently use). I believe there may be a demo of it available at the Adobe website.

Good luck,

Frank

Forum Links
Forum Rules