Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > The Question Mark of Death (Is it a Vision of the future?)

The Question Mark of Death (Is it a Vision of the future?)
Mallrat
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 8, 2005, 11:54 PM

When I restart my computer, I see a blue folder with a blinking question mark which I thought meant very bad things, but it vanishes quickly and the apple logo appears. It restarts just fine.

I'm running Mac OS 10.3.8.

I was wondring if seeing this folder/question mark is a bad sign and how I can resolve it.

thank you.

-Matt

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2005, 12:08 AM

Probably just means you don't have a specific startup disk selected. Open system prefs, click on startup disk, then choose your disk.
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

Mallrat  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 9, 2005, 01:32 AM

Originally posted by OptimusG4:
Probably just means you don't have a specific startup disk selected. Open system prefs, click on startup disk, then choose your disk.
Perfect. Worked like a charm. Thanks.

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2005, 10:15 AM

Glad to help

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2005, 06:09 PM

Originally posted by OptimusG4:
That is exactly it. You can also force it to scan the primary disk for systems by holding down option (I think, someone correct) at boot. I used to do this all the time back in the 10/10.1 era.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2005, 07:05 PM

that is correct. holding option will make it scan for all bootable volumes and let you choose one.

holding x will force it to boot os X

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2005, 07:16 PM

Originally posted by mdc:
holding x will force it to boot os X
This one never seems to work for me. Are there only certain specific machines that it works on?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2005, 09:07 PM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
This one never seems to work for me. Are there only certain specific machines that it works on?
I think its for machines that have OS 9 installed as well. I've never gotten it to work with my G5 or even my Powerbook G4 that can boot into OS 9.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Mar 9, 2005, 10:22 PM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
Not that I'm aware of, but do you have OSX and OS9 on the same volume, or do you have them on different volumes? I know the Option-key trick only works if they're on different volumes, and although I haven't tested the X and 9 tricks I suspect that they might be the same way.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2005, 10:43 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
Not that I'm aware of, but do you have OSX and OS9 on the same volume, or do you have them on different volumes? I know the Option-key trick only works if they're on different volumes, and although I haven't tested the X and 9 tricks I suspect that they might be the same way.
I think I've tried it both ways, although maybe I'll have to give it another shot. I do remember trying it with both on the same volume a while ago, and it didn't work.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

SS3 GokouX
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 10, 2005, 12:39 AM

If it's a very old machine, the option trick won't work. I think Macs after B&W G3s have it.

"And I will rule you all with an iron fist! You! OBEY THE FIST!" -Invader Zim

benb
Mar 10, 2005, 12:01 PM

Originally posted by SS3 GokouX:
If it's a very old machine, the option trick won't work. I think Macs after B&W G3s have it.
It must be a New-World (Open Firmware) Mac to work.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Mar 10, 2005, 12:42 PM

Originally posted by SS3 GokouX:
It's not that it doesn't work; it's that it works differently. I've done it on a Beige G3; what happens is that holding down Option forces the machine to boot into OS9 (like the 9-key trick on New World machines). I don't know if the X-key and 9-key tricks work on Beige machines, though; I wasn't aware of them until that machine had already died.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Forum Links
Forum Rules