Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > similar 256MB problem imac333mhz

similar 256MB problem imac333mhz
popheader
Oct 10, 2001, 12:25 AM

I also have had problems after installing a 256 chip in the upper slot. My imac will crash after a few minutes of working mainly while using IE 5 or Netscape or outlook express. I have zapped the pram soooo many times it's getting routine! I pulled the chip out and put the 64 MB back in and it worked ok. I sent the chip back to the place I got it and got a new one. It seemed to work better for a while a few days or so? then back to the same problems. I went as far as reinit. the hard drive and reinstalling all the software no luck same problem. I'm running 9.2 waiting patiently to install my copy of OSX but am reluctant to try. Could this also be a firmware problem PLEASE or am I just getting bad RAM? Also regarding firmware how important is it to install the correct version? Can I just run the firmware installer from the OSX CD or could I ruin my imac? Any help very much welcome. Thanks!
If it wasn't for cynicism, I wouldn't have anything good to say at all

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 10, 2001, 01:30 AM

Originally posted by popheader:
<STRONG>I also have had problems after installing a 256 chip in the upper slot. My imac will crash after a few minutes of working mainly while using IE 5 or Netscape or outlook express. I have zapped the pram soooo many times it's getting routine! I pulled the chip out and put the 64 MB back in and it worked ok. I sent the chip back to the place I got it and got a new one. It seemed to work better for a while a few days or so? then back to the same problems. I went as far as reinit. the hard drive and reinstalling all the software no luck same problem. I'm running 9.2 waiting patiently to install my copy of OSX but am reluctant to try. Could this also be a firmware problem PLEASE or am I just getting bad RAM? Also regarding firmware how important is it to install the correct version? Can I just run the firmware installer from the OSX CD or could I ruin my imac? Any help very much welcome. Thanks!</STRONG>

Hi,

In the future, it's okay to use the same thread when you have a similar problem- it's okay to start a new one, but it's just as good to keep using the current one started by someone else.

This problem is not related to your firmware. If you're running 9.2, you already have the newest firmware your machine can handle.

You may or may not have bad RAM (it's a possibility) - but you haven't mentioned if you've tried all combinations of RAM- what happens if you use only the 256mb and remove the 32mb from the bottom slot? You shouldn't have to, but I wonder...

My iMac 233mhz machines have 512mb in them, and work fine. You didn't mention where you got your RAM from, or who manufactured it, but at least they're decent enough to take it back and let you try another. I hate to ask the obvious, but are you getting the memory seated properly in the slot? before you rock it down into the side-clips, press firmly on the back edge while it's still up at an angle.

You're right to hesitate on installing OS X before getting this resolved- if you can't get 9.2.x to run with stability, OS X won't be much fun either.

I'm curious to know which company manufactured your RAM. I use IBM modules and ones I buy from crucial. They're 32Mx64, 144 pin, 4k refresh.

Victor Marks
[email protected]
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

popheader  (op)
Oct 10, 2001, 08:09 AM

Hi Victor the ram is from mac solutions fut of L.A. I may have to try a new vendor? Thanks for the advice I will let you know what happens.

Thumannator
Oct 10, 2001, 10:03 AM

<STRONG>Hi Victor the ram is from mac solutions fut of L.A. I may have to try a new vendor? Thanks for the advice I will let you know what happens.</STRONG>
I have a 256 MB DIMM from Macsolutions that I use in my rev. B iMac. I have never had problems with it. I installed it a long time ago and it was good to go from the first time I booted up with it. So, I wouldn't necessarily say that it is Macsolutions fault, though you may just have a bad module.

vmarks, are you in possesion of any low profile 256 MB DIMMs you might want to be getting rid of? I think you mentioned something about it on the other post similar to this one. I'm curious to know how much you are willing to part with them for. Feel free to e-mail me.

~Thummanator
[email protected]

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 10, 2001, 10:08 AM

<STRONG>Hi Victor the ram is from mac solutions fut of L.A. I may have to try a new vendor? Thanks for the advice I will let you know what happens.</STRONG>
Go ahead and try the 256 module without any other module in place, and see if it works or not.

I've had success with IBM modules, and I have a few extra, email me if you need one.

The modules that I use are the same as the ones here: http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?model=ThinkPad+T20+Series+%28Type+26 47% 29&x=0&y=0

Go ahead and get them to swap it again, or get them to take it back and try one from another vendor?

Victor Marks
[email protected]
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

<bozo the clown>
Oct 10, 2001, 05:40 PM

This is interesting. There's a 333Mhz iMac here at work. It initially had 32MB RAM. It was running slowly (due to heavy VM requirements) but was quite stable.

I put in a 128MB module, and it began crashing all the time. Returned module, new one did same thing.

OK, then third module from another source had the same problem. Clearly NOT the RAM.

I tried every combination I could think of top slot, bottom slot, whatever, the 128MB would crash the iMac like nobody's business.

This machine may not like more RAM, for whatever reason.

And if anyone has suggestions as to fixing this, please let me know. I've install RAM on many other machines, and never had a single bad chip or any problems related to the RAM installation...

Cipher13
Oct 10, 2001, 09:49 PM

Anyone tried DIMM Doctor by any chance? Just a thought... probably won't help.

popheader  (op)
Oct 10, 2001, 11:39 PM

Well I pulled the 256 chip out of the mac and reinstalled "my " original 64 MB chip back in now 96MB total. I have not had any problems now for over an hour. Looks like I will try another brand of memory. I have access to "NewerRam"? I believe locally 256MB suggested by a 14 year veteran Mac repairman. If this doesn't work I may consider tying my machine to the nose of a Tomohawk missle and saying goodbye!
I really want to thank you all for the help! After I get the new chip in I will post the results here. Seems bizare to have received 2 bad chips in a row I really hope this finally works! By the way Victor the suspect ram numbers all I can see on the chip no names, are 0133prthen under that is v54c3128804vat7. I'm not sure of the manufacturer. By the way I don't want to trash Macsolutions they have been very nice with customer service something, rare these days.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 11, 2001, 12:36 AM

<STRONG>Well I pulled the 256 chip out of the mac and reinstalled "my " original 64 MB chip back in now 96MB total. I have not had any problems now for over an hour. Looks like I will try another brand of memory. I have access to "NewerRam"? I believe locally 256MB suggested by a 14 year veteran Mac repairman. If this doesn't work I may consider tying my machine to the nose of a Tomohawk missle and saying goodbye!
I really want to thank you all for the help! After I get the new chip in I will post the results here. Seems bizare to have received 2 bad chips in a row I really hope this finally works! By the way Victor the suspect ram numbers all I can see on the chip no names, are 0133prthen under that is v54c3128804vat7. I'm not sure of the manufacturer. By the way I don't want to trash Macsolutions they have been very nice with customer service something, rare these days.</STRONG>
Don't trash macsolutions. It sounds like they're being very good to you.

Bad RAM happens. Getting two bad in a row is unlikely but possible. I still want to know what happens if the 256 is the only module installed. Modules with different chips on them can conflict, although it's not something that happens often.

According to the numbers on your module, that's a Mosel Vitelic (moselvitelic.com) part, with the following spec:
16Mx64, PC133, 4k refresh.

I'm using parts from IBM that have the following spec, same as the crucial I mentioned above:
32Mx64, PC100, 4k refresh.

So it sounds like the DIMM you're using is of the wrong spec. This explains your crashes. (Truth is, I had EXACTLY the same problem in a G4 desktop. I used a DIMM with the wrong 'geometry', the (variable)Mx64 number, and the G4 recognized the memory, but threw up all over the place.

I'm convinced that if you get ram with the specs I mentioned above, you'll be fine.

If Mosel Vitelic is the only supplier that Macsolutions carries, get them to get you chips with this part on it: 32M x 64 PC100 V436632Z24VATG-10PC Sync 3.3V 32M x 64 SODIMM using 32M x 8, 8K Ref
4 Banks TSOP, Gold, PC100
V54C3256804VAT8PC

I got that from this PDF: http://www.moselvitelic.com/selection.pdf

[ 10-11-2001: Message edited by: vmarks ]

popheader  (op)
Oct 11, 2001, 12:47 AM

Originally posted by vmarks:
<STRONG>

Don't trash macsolutions. It sounds like they're being very good to you.

Bad RAM happens. Getting two bad in a row is unlikely but possible. I still want to know what happens if the 256 is the only module installed. Modules with different chips on them can conflict, although it's not something that happens often.

According to the numbers on your module, that's a Mosel Vitelic (moselvitelic.com) part, with the following spec:
16Mx64, PC133, 4k refresh.

I'm using parts from IBM that have the following spec, same as the crucial I mentioned above:
32Mx64, PC100, 4k refresh.

So it sounds like the DIMM you're using is of the wrong spec. This explains your crashes. (Truth is, I had EXACTLY the same problem in a G4 desktop. I used a DIMM with the wrong 'geometry', the (variable)Mx64 number, and the G4 recognized the memory, but threw up all over the place.

I'm convinced that if you get ram with the specs I mentioned above, you'll be fine.

If Mosel Vitelic is the only supplier that Macsolutions carries, get them to get you chips with this part on it: 32M x 64 PC100 V436632Z24VATG-10PC Sync 3.3V 32M x 64 SODIMM using 32M x 8, 8K Ref
4 Banks TSOP, Gold, PC100
V54C3256804VAT8PC

I got that from this PDF: http://www.moselvitelic.com/selection.pdf

[ 10-11-2001: Message edited by: vmarks ]</STRONG>
Hey thanks for the quick reply and the great info! I wasn't trying to trash macsolutions however I just felt maybe I neede to try someone different. But now what you pointed out really clears the air. I will call them to see if they have the correct spec. They swore up and down though that this chip would work
Thanks again for your help! Hopefully soon I can put my osx to work. Take care time for bed.

popheader  (op)
Oct 11, 2001, 11:46 PM

Victor you were right again I pulled both the top and bottom ram chips from my imac and put the 256 in alone. The machine booted ok but as soon as I launched Netscape it locked up. Iput the 64mb in the top slot alone and it works fine. Next step is new ram maybe the 3rd time will be a charm. Thanks again for the great advice!

popheader  (op)
Oct 15, 2001, 10:59 PM

Anyone who is interested the ram I installed after the 3rd attempt has seemed to take care of the problem. I just wanted to add the final chapter (I hope) to my nightmare novella. It was the wrong ram architechture that was the problem.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 16, 2001, 04:43 PM

I'd buy from Crucial, I just installed a 256 MB chip in my 333 iMac and it runs like a tangerine charm.

Plus I've always got my memory from them and no problems what-so-ever.

[ 10-16-2001: Message edited by: sek929 ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules