Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Mac OS Tiger on a BW G3?

Mac OS Tiger on a BW G3?
I WAS the One
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 5, 2006, 04:22 PM

I split a 12g drive in two partitions, in one of them I install Mac OS 9.0, and in the other I try to install Tiger, almost everything went well, but suddenly a kernell panic screen show up in front of me! please help me here, I want to install both systems in that Mac.
Enjoy My Mac Comic @ BLAST COMICS

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 5, 2006, 04:36 PM

Weren't those machines in the pack of the ones that needed OS X to reside in the first 8GBs of the disk otherwise it wouldn't boot?

I think it could be that.

EFFENDI
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 5, 2006, 05:50 PM

I'd like to know the answer to this as well, as I am planning on buying a B&W for my younger brother...

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2006, 06:51 PM

Weren't those machines in the pack of the ones that needed OS X to reside in the first 8GBs of the disk otherwise it wouldn't boot?

No, that is the Beige G3's. But you do need to install Tiger first, then OS 9 2nd for it to work. Your machine may also need a firmware update, which will REQUIRE OS 9 to execute, so do that first, then back-up, erase & repartition the disk, install OS X, reboot, re-install OS 9, reboot, and be happy

And 6GB is just BARELY enough for the OS X partition......10 would be way better......
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 5, 2006, 08:36 PM

Actually is not the Beige G3s only, as I am sure the Bondi Blue iMacs needed it. May be wrong about the B&W G3 though.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2006, 10:01 PM

I installed tiger on a 40gb drive in an enclosure and then put it in my g3 with no problems at all. I don't have os 9 on there though.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

lothar56
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 6, 2006, 12:01 AM

The Beige G3's and some of the iMacs did require it, but definitely not the B&W. I installed 9.2/10.2 on one, then later upgraded to Tiger without a hitch.

JKT
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2006, 08:55 AM

Whatever you do, I would highly recommend not partitioning a 12GB hard drive if you plan on using OS X on it. You will inevitably end up expanding to fill that space and it will give you severe headaches in the long run. There is absolutely no need at all to partition such a small hard drive.

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2006, 09:37 AM

Seeings how I am typing this on a B&W that is running 10.4.4, and has ran EVERY version of OS X since day 1, I can, without ANY doubt, tell you that they do NOT require the OS to be on an 8GB first partition
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

I WAS the One  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 6, 2006, 10:04 AM

geez... I didn't knew about that, but maybe you guys are right, it will be better not partitioning the disk, and install both OSs in the same HD, but if I install both in the same drive, would I be able to reboot only in OS 9 without problems? or I will be using OS 9 as Classic inside Tiger? anyone?

JKT
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2006, 10:30 AM

You can easily boot into OS 9 from OS X (and vice versa) should you need to, but if you have to use Classic apps, it is easier to do it from within OS X using the Classic environment (for one thing, when Classic or the app you are using crashes, which it inevitably will do being OS 9, you can carry on doing things in OS X while you wait for Classic to restart). Personally, unless you have a specific requirement for Classic apps, I wouldn't even bother installing OS 9.

Edit: I would also recommend doing a custom install of OS X to avoid installing printer drivers and language packs that you don't need. This can save a significant amount of HD space on such a small hard drive.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 6, 2006, 02:37 PM

I would recommend partitioning it 9GB for OS X and 3GB for OS 9. OS 9 really doesn't need much space.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

I WAS the One  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 6, 2006, 02:56 PM

yeah, I know about the Classic emulator inside OS X, but I need OS 9 running as a complete OS, because I don't want to lose all the peripherals and all I bought a long time ago... and I still use, you know... to be real, I will use the OS X just for internet porpuses right now, and that is because no one is developing a browser up to date that runs flowlessly on OS 9, so, for that matter I will be needing OS X on my B&W G3, (I'm upgrading from a Beige G3 thoug...) So, you are telling me that the correct procedure is erasing all, installing OS X, and then installing OS 9 in the same disk? and that will be all?? correct me if I'm wrong, please...

JKT
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2006, 03:07 PM

Yes, but make sure the firmware is up-to-date first.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Feb 6, 2006, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by I WAS the One
So, you are telling me that the correct procedure is erasing all, installing OS X, and then installing OS 9 in the same disk? and that will be all?? correct me if I'm wrong, please...
There's no procedure. You can install OS X, then install OS 9, or you can install OS 9, then OS X. It doesn't really matter what order you do it in.

edit: JKT, you're right. I forgot about the firmware - you should check for any available firmware updates before installing OS X.

However, if you're booting into both OS X and OS 9 regularly, I probably would actually recommend making a small partition with the OS 9 System Folder on it. The reason for this is that it makes it very easy to switch between OS X and OS 9 - just hold down the Option key at boot time. If you have them both on the same partition, you'll have to use the Startup Disk control panel to switch OSes, and if one of them happens to get corrupted or something so that it won't boot, it'll be a bit of a pain to get into the other one (requiring the install disc).

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

JKT
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2006, 04:28 PM

FWIW, as you can hold down cmd-X key at bootup to choose OS X as the boot system, partitions are not really needed for that either.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Feb 6, 2006, 04:35 PM

You can hold down command-X to get into OS X (although this has never worked that reliably for me), but is there any equivalent to force it into OS 9? I don't know of any...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

JKT
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2006, 04:59 PM

Actually, you're right there isn't any, but if you keep OS 9 as your default boot system, you can simply hold down cmd-x whenever you want to boot in OS X instead.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2006, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by I WAS the One
I will use the OS X just for internet porpuses right now, and that is because no one is developing a browser up to date that runs flawlessly on OS 9 (…)
Doesn't iCab work well there?

jdiddy
Forum Regular
Feb 6, 2006, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by EFFENDI
I'd like to know the answer to this as well, as I am planning on buying a B&W for my younger brother...
I'm from Los Angeles too and I have a 400mhz B&W with tiger installed and running perfectly that I'm looking to sell. Let me know if your interested shoot me a PM.

I WAS the One  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 6, 2006, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb
Doesn't iCab work well there?
nope, the only browser that let me see almost evrything is Mozilla, and it is a buggy browser, icab doesn't show all the pages and Opera .... well, it doesn't work either. I don't know what's happening now days, it seems that for OS 9 the internet days are over... Damn! (for everything else work great)...

I WAS the One  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 6, 2006, 11:41 PM

anyone know a link to download the firmware for my G3? I don't know how to get that! please...

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2006, 04:33 AM

Forum Links
Forum Rules