Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Games on Intel Mac / Boot Camp

Games on Intel Mac / Boot Camp
drosboro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 14, 2006, 01:14 AM

There doesn't seem to be any central thread for information on running games under Boot Camp, so I thought I'd start one.

I've had no luck getting NHL 2005 or NHL 2006 (EA Sports) to run properly - they are very choppy, even in the menus - so I'm suspecting there's a problem beyond just the video driver.

The Far Cry demo runs brilliantly. So does NHL 2004.

Any other news on what runs and what doesn't?

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 14, 2006, 08:54 AM

In theory running ANYTHING under Windows through Boot Camp should be equivalent to running it on any non-Mac Intel-based machine. Of course we're in the real world instead of theory, but this is still helpful.

Read the specs on the boxes for those games, and compare them to each other, particularly where the video requirements are concerned. There are a LOT of Windows games that require specific video support (some even require NVidea instead of ATI or vice versa), and that's my first thought here.

I'd like to keep this away from any form of basic Windows support, so let's focus this on how games work with the hardware included in an Intel Mac. As you don't mention which particular Intel Mac you're using (and the video hardware is different among them), I can't go any farther on this myself... And I'm not into gaming, so I don't have any personal experience to help you with either. Anyone who DOES have such experience-that's MAC HARDWARE RELATED-please feel free to chime in!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

drosboro  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 14, 2006, 12:23 PM

Oops... sorry about the lack of hardware details. I'm running a 17" iMac, 1.83GHz, X1600/128MB, 1GB of ram...

I'm aware of the "theory" that everything should work fine - but it doesn't seem to. The iMac should be able to run NHL 2006 in it's sleep, but it doesn't seem to. It just requires DirectX 9.0c with a 32mb video card. Far Cry has roughly equivalent (or even slightly higher - 64 mb video card) system req's as NHL 2006, but runs perfectly well. So something is up with drivers or something that's causing trouble with NHL 2006 - and I'm curious to know if it affects other games.

Zimwy
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 18, 2006, 02:59 PM

Has anyone tried any games on the minimacs? Especially HL2? I'd be curious to know how their integrated graphics holds up. Thanks!

Gabe

gotanproject
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 18, 2006, 04:12 PM

I play HL2, DOD:Source, and CS:Source on my MBP. I have the 2.0ghz, 2GB with the 256mb v-ram.
It runs suprisingly well for a laptop @ 1024 x 768 with mostly high setting with no AA and no vsync, I get over 60FPS. But When I pick the widescreen view 1440 x 900 with all low settings I get below 25FPS not playable for me.

I think with an improved graphics drive from ati, my MBP can get over 40FPS in the 1440 x 900 mode. Too bad bootcamp only lets you run out dated modded drivers from mac. However it is better to have an option to run windows on the mac.

Forum Links
Forum Rules