Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iTunes: Transferring songs from iPod

iTunes: Transferring songs from iPod
thayalan6868
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2006, 09:03 AM

I tried transfering songs from my iPod to my new MBP and I had tons of trouble. The iPod is formatted for Windows. I was able to see the songs on iTunes, but I couldn't move them into my Library. In order for me to format the iPod into Mac, do I need to format the whole iPod? Why wasn't I able to move the songs into the Library?

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2006, 09:16 AM

You can't copy songs from an iPod to iTunes. Not with iTunes, anyway. There are several third-party apps that can do this for you though. I can't think of any off the top of my head. If you search versiontracker.com or macupdate.com for "iPod to iTunes" I'm sure you'll find something to suit your needs.

thayalan6868  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2006, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by cybergoober
You can't copy songs from an iPod to iTunes. Not with iTunes, anyway. There are several third-party apps that can do this for you though. I can't think of any off the top of my head. If you search versiontracker.com or macupdate.com for "iPod to iTunes" I'm sure you'll find something to suit your needs.
Well I can copy songs from my iPod to my computer that its associated with. I'm just not able to do it to another computer....

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 26, 2006, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by VanillaEps
Well I can copy songs from my iPod to my computer that its associated with. I'm just not able to do it to another computer....
Can you provide the technique you're using to move songs that are on the iPod but NOT on the computer onto that computer? As far as I know, iTunes does NOT support that kind of function, and the disk structure on the iPod makes it nearly impossible to simply navigate to the proper folders using the iPod in disk mode.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 26, 2006, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by VanillaEps
Well I can copy songs from my iPod to my computer that its associated with.
Not with iTunes you can't. iTunes definitely does not allow this, and the folder where the music is stored on the iPod is hidden, plus the files aren't named normally.

tooki

thayalan6868  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2006, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by tooki
Not with iTunes you can't. iTunes definitely does not allow this, and the folder where the music is stored on the iPod is hidden, plus the files aren't named normally.

tooki
You're both right. I'm not able to do that. I suffered from a brain fart. I thought I could exchange music files to and fro, but in reality I was only able to transfer songs from iTunes to the iPod and delete songs off the iPod.

headbirth
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2006, 01:23 PM

Try iPodDisk.

dazzla
Senior User
Apr 26, 2006, 02:05 PM

Or Sentui.

thayalan6868  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 27, 2006, 09:11 AM

Which application is better at managing the copy of albums? I used iPodDisk last night and I'm having some trouble copying Albums from the same Artist.

thayalan6868  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 27, 2006, 12:25 PM

Has anyone enables Disk Usage in order to move songs from one computer to another....

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300173

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 27, 2006, 04:55 PM

What you're talking about is using the iPod's unused capacity as a USB external drive to move ALL of your iTunes Library from one computer to another. This does NOT allow you to play all those songs; it just lets you transfer them from one iTunes installation to another.

It would let you fill up your PC's iTunes library, but if you only follow about 1/4 of the steps in the Apple article, you'll have turned off auto syncing on the PC (as I mentioned earlier) and it won't be a problem.

thayalan6868  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2006, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter
What you're talking about is using the iPod's unused capacity as a USB external drive to move ALL of your iTunes Library from one computer to another. This does NOT allow you to play all those songs; it just lets you transfer them from one iTunes installation to another.

It would let you fill up your PC's iTunes library, but if you only follow about 1/4 of the steps in the Apple article, you'll have turned off auto syncing on the PC (as I mentioned earlier) and it won't be a problem.
Why wouldn't I be able to play all the songs? If I authorize the computer, shouldn't I be able to play the songs I have purchased?

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 28, 2006, 11:17 AM

You would be able to play the songs after you restored the library in the new computer. I was aiming my comment at the "putting the songs on the iPod" issue. As I said, it's not using the part of the iPod's drive that it plays songs from, so you have to go through more steps to play those songs.

It comes down to a choice of two routes. You can either disable auto syncing on the PC, which would allow you to manually add songs to the iPod whenever you like, or you can make the librairies on the Mac and the PC match, and then it won't matter which one you plug into. But the latter takes way more effort than the former.

thayalan6868  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2006, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter
You would be able to play the songs after you restored the library in the new computer. I was aiming my comment at the "putting the songs on the iPod" issue. As I said, it's not using the part of the iPod's drive that it plays songs from, so you have to go through more steps to play those songs.

It comes down to a choice of two routes. You can either disable auto syncing on the PC, which would allow you to manually add songs to the iPod whenever you like, or you can make the librairies on the Mac and the PC match, and then it won't matter which one you plug into. But the latter takes way more effort than the former.
I understand what you're saying now. Using a program like Senuti or iPodRip, I wouldn't have to move the music files into the iPod, just connect it the computer and move the files. Using the iPod as a disk, there are more steps involved. Unfortunately, since my Library is much larger than my iPod disk space, I can't sync them as easily as it sounds. I need to manually manage the libraries on both computers.

Forum Links
Forum Rules