Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Right Click - Will Apple ever?

Right Click - Will Apple ever?
quilmes
Forum Regular
Apr 26, 2006, 09:42 AM

Can someone give me a honest full explanation as to why Mac has not put a right-click on the MBP or for that matter on their mouse?

Dork.
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2006, 09:57 AM

They want to force developers to give users a way to get to all application functions via a one-button mouse to make the UI simpler for new users, it's that simple.

Multi-button mice are supported. If you hook up a standard PC USB mouse with two buttons, you'll find that the second button is already supported in the OS, if you know how to use it. The new apple "no-button" mighty-mouse actually has support for right-clicking, but its disabled by default. If you don't know the mouse is capable of it beforehand, you'd never suspect it.

You can also control-click to get the same effect as a right click. It sounds convoluted until you try it, especially on a laptop.

aristobrat
Forum Regular

I think the best honest full explanation might be that Apple is quite satisifed with how "CTRL+CLICK" works. I've only been a Mac user for about a year now and I kind of like it.

Now that the Mac hardware is running other OSs natively (Boot Camp), I wouldn't be surprised to see more Mac mice that have the right-mouse button (instead of just on the Mighty Mouse).

jamil5454
Mac Elite

Nope. Ask Steve.

quilmes  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 26, 2006, 10:03 AM

I have some bluetooth mice and have enjoyed the "right-click" feature all day long, the problem is that i get used to it and whenever i am on my laptop, sans mouse, i find myself frusterated. I give apple credit with not folding to this demand, but wonder that now they are going to be letting those windows fools into our world are the next gen laptops going to have that right-click button or will this be the factor that will forever seperate us?

Dork.
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2006, 10:08 AM

I think that these new Intel-based laptops should use the same technology that the Mighty Mouse has to make a "stealth" right-click out of a one-button trackpad.... This way, if you don't want a right-click, it won't exist on your laptop.

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 26, 2006, 10:32 AM

control-click work fine on my mbp and the mightly mouse does have right click
Computers:
Macbook Pro: 17in, 2.16Ghz, 120GB HD, 1.5 GB ram.
iBook G4: 1.07Ghz, 60GB HD, 756mb ram (on sale for parts)

Hal06
Forum Regular
Apr 26, 2006, 10:34 AM

Being a new Mac user and coming from the SGI world, hence three buttons' mouse all the way, I have to admit Apple mice are really beautiful… I got the USB 'Mouse', it looks great and doesn't feel cheap…

Anyway, I think it is a given that if you want a multiple button mouse you are going to look for a third party one… I don't think anyone can complain about Apple shipping such kind of mouse… I think is really difficult to ship a computer with a mouse that everyone would love… that 'one size fits all' is hard nowadays… I see Apple's choice to keep it easy as a good one.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2006, 10:52 AM

The main complaint is on the laptops. Sure, you can plug in a two-button mouse, but that's one more thing to carry with you. And cntl-click doesn't work for everyone, especially people who are used to Windows. It would be sweet if new laptops had a built-in second button available for people who prefer to use ti that way.

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 26, 2006, 11:47 AM

On a mouse, you have a natural primary and secondary button, the primary being under your index finger. It's fairly intuitive.

On the other hand, I can see two laptop buttons being confusing to regular users. They both go under your thumb, so neither is intuitively the "main" button. Barring any disability, it's hard to see why control-click wouldn't work for anyone.

quilmes  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 26, 2006, 12:08 PM

I dont agree with that. All of the Widows laptops have two buttons and there are a ton of "regular" users and beginners using them. The problem with control-click is that it is a pain with one hand.

quilmes  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 26, 2006, 12:09 PM

Ps. I'm sitting in class right now next to my friend using a IBM T41 with a trackpad, that annoying red thing in the middle of his keyboard and FIVE buttons.

bdwhite
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2006, 03:33 PM

I simply connect my USB mouse to my PB G4. No biggie, and since I'm an ex-windows user, it feels odd to use the ctrl-click method.

I have never used the trackpad on a laptop, I always have a USB mouse of some sort hanging around on my travels. The one-button thing is sort of identifiable to Macs though, so I dunno why they wouldn't stick with it.

ecking01
Forum Regular
Apr 26, 2006, 03:47 PM

I'm an ex windows user and I got used to control clicking in like a week, it's pretty easy. Even if you have no use a second hand it's not a hassle because I'm never right clicking and typing at the same time.

aristobrat
Forum Regular
Apr 26, 2006, 03:47 PM

The more OSX keyboard shortcuts I learn, the less I find myself CTRL-clicking.

acorder
Forum Regular
Apr 26, 2006, 03:48 PM

I wonder if Apple could/might use their scrolling trackpad technology to alleviate this problem. One of the things that bugs me about most of my PC-laptop-using friends is that none of them seem to know that you can enable the trackpad to sense taps as clicks. I have always hated physical buttons on laptops and use tap-clicking whenever possible. I can't image it would be too difficult for Apple to have their scrolling trackpads sense a two-fingered tap as a right click. Anyone else think this would be helpful? I know I would enjoy it, and it's something that can be turned off by default so as not to confuse novices, etc.

Sakino
Senior User
Apr 26, 2006, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by smellycat
I dont agree with that. All of the Widows laptops have two buttons and there are a ton of "regular" users and beginners using them. The problem with control-click is that it is a pain with one hand.
I find that kind of odd that you stated its a pain with one hand. Almost all my browsing and computer work that doesn't require typing can be done with one hand. I usually just use my right hand.
Thumb over the clicker basically at all times.
Index and middle finger for scrolling.
If i need to right click i just move ring finger over the control button.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 26, 2006, 04:18 PM

I expect we'll see a capactive area (like the iPod scroll wheel and Mighty Mouse button) on the laptop trackpad button so the user can choose between one or two virtual buttons with only one physical button.

quilmes  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 26, 2006, 04:23 PM

no no, i agree, i am being picky. i use my right hand so that control key is in a weird place. I understand the simplicity that MAC has achieved. my new laptop is incredibly attractive and i wouldn't like to clutter it up, i just wish they had placed one tiny button for the right-click.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 26, 2006, 04:41 PM

Can someone give me a honest full explanation as to why Mac has not put a right-click on the MBP or for that matter on their mouse?
http://www.apple.com/mightymouse/

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

quilmes  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 26, 2006, 06:31 PM

yes yes, the mighty mouse, though i feel that is mac's secret way to satisfy us without really putting a right click button on the mouse. not to get into that argument, my interest lies mainly with the laptops.

slffl
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 26, 2006, 06:54 PM

I hope the NEVER put a right mouse button on their laptops!

First I rarely use the right mouse button because there are quicker ways of doing all those things in that popup menu. Second, when I do need to right mouse click on my PB, I either use control or put 2 fingers on the trackpad and click.
"I'm the commander - see, I don't need to explain - I don't need to explain why I say things. That's the interesting thing about being the President. Maybe somebody needs to explain to me why they say something, but I don't feel like I owe anybody an explanation."

- Dictator George W. Bush, Washington Post, 11-19-02

hldan
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2006, 07:11 PM

This is slightly off topic but could someone please assist me on this? I installed XP on my MacBook Pro and it works perfectly but has anyone found a way to use the control-alt-delete feature to quit a faulty app?
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

Shinguuji
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2006, 07:49 PM

Ps. I'm sitting in class right now next to my friend using a IBM T41 with a trackpad, that annoying red thing in the middle of his keyboard and FIVE buttons.
OK, it's five buttons but not really. The T4x series have a nipple and a trackpad. The usual two buttons are replicated for each. The extra centre button enables the scroll feature.

I'm usually in the "I hate trackpads" camp, but the MBP is far less annoying than any I've used. The two fingered scroll is really handy. I'd still like a right button but I can cope with ctrl-click when I'm away from a desk. The rest of the time I use my Logitech V270 bluetooth mouse.

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 26, 2006, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Dork.
The main complaint is on the laptops. Sure, you can plug in a two-button mouse, but that's one more thing to carry with you. And cntl-click doesn't work for everyone, especially people who are used to Windows. It would be sweet if new laptops had a built-in second button available for people who prefer to use ti that way.
SORRY ABOUT DA CAPSLOCK I AM ON MY NEW PDA CELLPHONE TYPE THING AND I CAN'T FIGURE OUT HOW TO TURN THE CAPSLOCK OFF

ANYWAY I AGREE THAT APPLE CAN AND SHOULD FIGURE OUT HOW TO DO A TWO BUTTON LAPTOP CLICK PAD. IF IT CAN GIVE THE MIGHTY MOUSE A TWO BUTTON FUNCTIONALITY WITH A ONE BUTTON MOUSE LOOK AND FEEL WHY NOT DO THAT ON THE LAPTOPS AS WELL??
Computers:

Jerk_circus
Apr 26, 2006, 09:10 PM

Apple will - Just watch. I might be wrong, but if someone can give me one good reason why they wouldn't put a two button option on their laptops when their top of the line G5 Quad comes with a two button mouse in the box, then I'll take back me comment.
Jerk_circus | Toronto Web Development

macintologist
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2006, 09:20 PM

Right click is a very racist against left-handed users.

I prefer to called it second-click or secondary-click.

quilmes  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 26, 2006, 09:23 PM

Right now I feel that apple has a chip on their sholder. If they were going to introduce a two-button laptop wouldn't it have come out with the MBP?

quilmes  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 26, 2006, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by macintologist

Well if appler were to two a secret double-click button (divided evenly) then they could switch what each side depending on which haded you are.

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 26, 2006, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by macintologist

i dont know if you were joking or serious but you made me laugh/giggle and you win for that
Computers:

jasong
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2006, 09:46 PM

I don't know if it works on the Intel Macs yet, but I find SideTrack handles my right-click desire on my PowerBook just fine.
-- Jason

quilmes  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 26, 2006, 11:05 PM

What exactly is SideTrack and it is compatible with the MBP?

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2006, 01:12 AM

I adapt to control-click fine when I'm not using my desktop mouse - it really isn't that bad.

quilmes  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 27, 2006, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by TailsToo
I adapt to control-click fine when I'm not using my desktop mouse - it really isn't that bad.
what?

macintologist
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2006, 02:22 AM

What exactly is SideTrack and it is compatible with the MBP?
http://www.ragingmenace.com/software/sidetrack/

RagingMenace by the way is a wonderful developer. I also highly recommend MenuMeters. Can't live without it.

HazelGirl
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 27, 2006, 02:32 AM

it would be nice for them to imlement a mighty-mouse like feature on the mbps....so tha thte big button on the laptop could be programed so as the right side is right click but they keep the same one button look to it....that would be very nice. i hate having to press a button so I like right click....its much simpler.
Mac Mini G4 1.33 Ghz:40GBhf, 512MBRAM, 32MBVRAM
MBP 15.4' 2.33Ghz:160GBhd, 2GBRAM, 256MBVRAM
iMac 24' 2.4 Ghz, 300GBhd, 2GBRAM, 256MBVRAM
80GB iPod Classic (black)

quilmes  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 27, 2006, 08:54 AM

To follow up with another suggestion: could mac, or someone else, create a programed that used a double-finger-click as a right-click?

slffl
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 27, 2006, 11:18 AM

So apparently some of you didn't see my comment about putting 2 fingers on the trackpad and clicking. What do you think about that?
"I'm the commander - see, I don't need to explain - I don't need to explain why I say things. That's the interesting thing about being the President. Maybe somebody needs to explain to me why they say something, but I don't feel like I owe anybody an explanation."

aristobrat
Forum Regular
Apr 27, 2006, 12:42 PM

Other than it doesn't work in dual-boot situations, it's awesome. Wonder when 10.6 comes out if they'll have an XP/Vista mouse driver that does that?

tripletaker
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 27, 2006, 01:11 PM

When I switched to Apple a year ago I had the same problem. I thought it was unintuitive and pretty much stupid that there was only one button and I had to use ctrl+click. After a year, it's second nature. Now, I have trouble using a regular mouse or a "regular" trackpad. I never plug in a mouse.

You just get used to it. My productivity has not increased. But it has not decreased either.

quilmes  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 27, 2006, 03:59 PM

You guys are all pretty smart, if someone can make a program that will turn the double-finger tap into a right-click I'm sure we can set-up an award or something. Just imagine how cool that would be. so easy. so simple. so mac.

quilmes  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 27, 2006, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by stinz12
Me~ I love the Idea that macs have for having ctrl+click for a right click.
why? what is apealing about it? it takes more dexterity (sp.) and two hands. just curious what the apeal is?

Yakov
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 27, 2006, 09:48 PM

maybe they'll make an external, $50 second mouse button

quilmes  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 27, 2006, 10:01 PM

no no, that defeats the point. needs to be a part of the computer.

bthom70
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 27, 2006, 10:04 PM

I actually find that little red button the best thing since sliced bread.
With the IBM red button, you have little if any hand movement.
I've been supporting IBM ThinkPads for over 6 years. Before I bought my Powerbook in Nov '05 I considered buying a new Lenovo T or X line laptop. But wanted to learn OSX and become a switcher/slider instead.

When using the red button the only other finger you have to use is your thumb. no other finger.
I actually use the thumb of my left hand to click the button and my middle finger of my right hand for the red button.

It does take a little getting used to and the red button requires constant conatct to move the cursor, a differnt approach that the dirty track pad that requires ALOT of wrist movement.

To each his own, but I'd give my left xxx to put 1 on my Powerbook with 2 buttons.
What is ridiculous is that IBM/Lenovo has put both the red button and the track pad on the ThinkPad line, ludicrous I tell ya.

I will say as a 12+year windows user, I miss the 2nd button the most on my Powerbook, but at home I use a Logitech V270 bluetooth mouse when working on Grad school work but on the sofa sans mouse I suffice with the single button trackpad.

quilmes  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 27, 2006, 10:18 PM

grad school this time of the year you should be studying!!

j/k im in grad school right now working with a group. clearly paying attn.

bthom70
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2006, 03:26 PM

smellycat, what program are you in?
I'm in a Masters Science of Information Assurance at Norwich Univ in Vermont. Focusing on Computer Forensics and Business Continuity.
Im 1 of 2 Apple users in my 100 person class.
I force myself to use my powerbook for 95% of my Grad work, the other 5% is at work on my XP Pro desktop.
I usually scream the loudest when requireed reading articles from external websites do not render properly in Firefox. We use WebCT, thier tech supports answer to use IE on 200 or XP. Of course I can't I end up finding ways around thier problems. for 3 weeks 1/2 the classes couldnt access 100% of the site, but after a Java upgrade it worked. Guess who suggested a Java upgrade. ME.... Tech support didnt believe me.
Took them 3 weeks. But I never got a thank you.

quilmes  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 28, 2006, 03:44 PM

I'm in a MBA program in wisconsin. 1 of maybe 3 people out of 120. Fortunatly i don't use many programs other than the usual office, and simple stuff. most of my grad work is through excel right now. no issues. everything else is through the school system that the mac works great with. the only issues might come next year when we need some proprietary windows programs. maybe ill set up boot-camp then.

im sorry you are having issues. stay strong!

zanyterp
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 29, 2006, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by slffl
So apparently some of you didn't see my comment about putting 2 fingers on the trackpad and clicking. What do you think about that?
which program do you use? Or is it already built-in and one just needs to turn it on?
some people are like slinkys: they don't do much, but are fun to push down stairs.

slffl
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 29, 2006, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by zanyterp
which program do you use? Or is it already built-in and one just needs to turn it on?
I think it's built into the newer Albooks and MBPs. I have a 17" Rev A so I dont think it was built in, but the program is called iScroll2

Forum Links
Forum Rules