Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook: Pay more for ATI?

MacBook: Pay more for ATI?
iStudent 2003
Forum Regular
May 19, 2006, 03:58 PM

I know this is the bigget issue with the MacBook, that the GPU sucks on ice. So my question is, would you pay extra for an ATI X1600 64MB GPU as a BTO (or standard on the black model, and how much would you be willing to pay (say $50 bucks more)?

I think there should be a BTO option on the two white models, and/or standard on the black model. Even if there wasn't an BTO option and the high end black one had it standard, then Apple couldn't make them fast enough.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
May 19, 2006, 04:00 PM

I would pay more, but wouldn't expect an X1600. That would cost a lot more, and I don't think it's justified for a low end Mac laptop.

X300 is sufficient, even if it were using shared memory. In one way, the X300 could be more beneficial too, because with 32 MB dedicated RAM, it can use a total of 128 MB RAM, while still keeping costs down. That would be nice for those doing 2D applications on large external screens, and who don't need to be cranking out top 3D speeds.

masugu
Senior User
May 19, 2006, 04:43 PM

I'm with Wanker.

No need for games on my laptop. PC workhorse should be used for that. If I had unlimited $$ and wanted a mobile game rig - Alienware would get the call.

JustinD
Dedicated MacNNer
May 20, 2006, 05:15 PM

I'da paid an extra $200 for a decent mobile graphics chipset! Grrr...
*justin

Isn't logic swell? It gives answers without really answering anything!

donovan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2006, 05:21 PM

An X1600 in a 13.3" would be amazing as the smallest laptop with a X1600 is the ASUS W3j, 14" WideScreen, however, I suspect that would cause major heat problems, as the W3j's X1600 has some issues with heat and it's underclocked a bit, it also barely fits, so that physical barrier would be a bit difficult to get around.

A dedicated graphics option would be very nice, I'm not sure if I could see Apple justifying this from a financial aspect though.

dazzla
Senior User
May 20, 2006, 05:30 PM

I would've paid between $50-100 just for a X300.

Forum Regular
May 20, 2006, 05:51 PM

I don't really know the differences between the models, but I'd definitely pay more for a dedicated graphics chip.

danengel
Mac Enthusiast
May 20, 2006, 06:16 PM

If you pay more for a better GPU, you're almost at the low-end MBP. Apple won't do this as it means another BTO motherboard.

Forum Regular
May 20, 2006, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by danengel
If you pay more for a better GPU, you're almost at the low-end MBP. Apple won't do this as it means another BTO motherboard.
Yeah but I don't need the size of the MBP, and I'm sure a lot of other people think the same thing.

danengel
Mac Enthusiast
May 21, 2006, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by
Yeah but I don't need the size of the MBP, and I'm sure a lot of other people think the same thing.
That's why I'm waiting for the MacBook Thin...

roosta
Dedicated MacNNer
May 21, 2006, 02:57 AM

almost makes one wonder if a 13" macbook pro is in thwe works.

i really can't imagine what the techies at apple were thinking when they decided to use the intel gpu on the mini and the macbook. this really seems to go against all the good things they've come out with in the past. can you play a hdtv movie trailer from apple's trailer site on a macbook?

i wonder how the graphics chips in the last ibooks (12 and 14") compare to the macbok. cabn you even play call of duty on a macbook? what about warcraft?

donovan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2006, 03:13 AM

I would highly doubt that, Apple seems to be advertising that 'the family is complete' all over its site in different ways, that is, of Apple's mobile units.

Yes, video playback, regardless of the quality isn't exactly GPU intensive, it's more 3D CAD anf gamers who will suffer from this. The intel integrated cards were made for the regular user, they'd do anything most people will throw at them, which is just simple stuff..

It's better, though it is integrated, the iBook's card is reletively old technology.

Yes and yes.

Here's a list of which games the Macbook can run;

http://support.intel.com/support/gra.../CS-021400.htm

If it's older and not on the list, it will most likely run.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 21, 2006, 03:15 AM

I think this is why that didn't happen: The current BlackBook goes for $1499. Now, if you add the BTO option for something like an X300 with 32 or even 64MB you're looking at an entirely different motherboard that's needed. Sudenely Apple needs to design, produce and stock two motherboard types. So we're talking about a markup of probably $200 (remeber, a black case costs $150 ). That brings us to $1699. Well, who in their right mind would buy a 13" MB for $1699 when they could be getting a 15" MBP for $1999 that offers a higher res screen, better GPU, better BTO options and a slicker case? Probably not many. And Apple knows that. And because they want a compact and simple line-up, there's no GPU BTO option.

dazzla
Senior User
May 21, 2006, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by roosta
almost makes one wonder if a 13" macbook pro is in thwe works.

i really can't imagine what the techies at apple were thinking when they decided to use the intel gpu on the mini and the macbook. this really seems to go against all the good things they've come out with in the past. can you play a hdtv movie trailer from apple's trailer site on a macbook?

i wonder how the graphics chips in the last ibooks (12 and 14") compare to the macbok. cabn you even play call of duty on a macbook? what about warcraft?
Well, funnily enough, the Core Duos can play HD video perfectly. Where my 2.1GHz G5 with a 256MB ATI card will choke on a 1080p video, the Macbook with its GMA950 will play it without dropping a frame.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
May 21, 2006, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by dazzla
Well, funnily enough, the Core Duos can play HD video perfectly. Where my 2.1GHz G5 with a 256MB ATI card will choke on a 1080p video, the Macbook with its GMA950 will play it without dropping a frame.
IIRC, all G5 iMacs came with a 128MB card, and the last revision (1.9 ghz and 2.1 ghz) came with X600's
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

dazzla
Senior User
May 21, 2006, 04:58 AM

Spot on, just checked system profiler and it's a 128MB X600.

Forum Regular
May 21, 2006, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Simon
I think this is why that didn't happen: The current BlackBook goes for $1499. Now, if you add the BTO option for something like an X300 with 32 or even 64MB you're looking at an entirely different motherboard that's needed. Sudenely Apple needs to design, produce and stock two motherboard types. So we're talking about a markup of probably $200 (remeber, a black case costs $150 ). That brings us to $1699. Well, who in their right mind would buy a 13" MB for $1699 when they could be getting a 15" MBP for $1999 that offers a higher res screen, better GPU, better BTO options and a slicker case? Probably not many. And Apple knows that. And because they want a compact and simple line-up, there's no GPU BTO option.
Who says they need to keep the $150 premium just to have a black case? Maybe the $200 for a different mobo/video card is premium enough.

danengel
Mac Enthusiast
May 21, 2006, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by
Who says they need to keep the $150 premium just to have a black case? Maybe the $200 for a different mobo/video card is premium enough.
I'm in a close business. Believe me, a different BTO motherboard is way too expensive.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
May 21, 2006, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by dazzla
I would've paid between $50-100 just for a X300.
Same.

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
IIRC, all G5 iMacs came with a 128MB card
The first G5 iMacs came with the 64 MB GeForce 5200 Ultra. I did not buy that iMac, partially because of this specific reason. I waited until the next iteration, which got the 128 MB Radeon 9600. I'm glad I did too, because Aperture is not supported on the 1st version of the G5 iMac, but is supported on mine.

Forum Links
Forum Rules