Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Motorola SLVR L7 iTunes Cingular Phone

Motorola SLVR L7 iTunes Cingular Phone (Page 2)
JSpence
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2006, 06:05 PM

Does Itunes work through a bluetooth headset? I have read a lot about the headsets, but I haven't found anyone who has used itunes with a blue tooth headset.

Thanks.
Jarad

kepdan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 19, 2006, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by jersey
iSync works... but not so well. if you have 3 #'s for a person, you get 3 separate entries on the phone. It doesn't easily support multiple # per contact. Sad, sad sad... thats my next issue to figure out and deal with.

In your phone you can going to your contacts, press the Menu Key and press on Setup. Select the option for view and change it to Primary contacts. Then press done and the information will be displayed with the name and if you press on the contact, it will provide you with the available numbers. As a tip, In Primary number view mode, highlight a name and press the arrows, left or right, to view other numbers associated with the name. (direct from Motorola) It works easily.

laseca
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2006, 05:37 PM

I was trying your suggestions but nothing worked. I couldn't find the selections in the Menu button that were mentioned. I did some more searching and found a PDF by Motorola. It states that to store multiple numbers you must store the contact TO THE PHONE and not the SIM card. I changed the multiple entries I have to store on the phone and now the options you mentioned appear and work as described.
( Last edited by laseca; Feb 21, 2006 at 06:00 PM. )

asmujica
Forum Regular
Feb 21, 2006, 07:29 PM

Does anyone else have issues with the bluetooth sync?

I can't seem to pair the laptop and the phone. It tells me it doesn't have any services available that are usable by the computer, or something like that.

I've been syncing it via cable.

asmujica
Forum Regular
Feb 21, 2006, 07:34 PM

Also I can't seem to send files to the phone.... It just hangs.

Parky
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2006, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by jersey
iSync works... but not so well. if you have 3 #'s for a person, you get 3 separate entries on the phone. It doesn't easily support multiple # per contact. Sad, sad sad... thats my next issue to figure out and deal with.
You need to change the phone settings in the Phone Book Settings.
Change the 'View' to 'Primary Contacts'
This will then show one entry per person, and you get a little icon next to their name showing which number will be used (i.e. Home, work, etc), you select the number to be called by using the left and right buttons on the circular control

Ian
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

JaNeDoe
Forum Regular
Feb 23, 2006, 01:28 AM

I have the Motorola RazR V3i, and I freakin' love it!!!
13" (Black) MacBook: 2.0GHz/1.5GB/120GB/SuperDrive. --Lacie 500GB External Hard Drive.--Red Monster Sleeve--Radtech ScreensavR--Mighty Mouse.
80GB iPod [WHITE] with iSee
*PROVEHITO IN ALTUM*

4Ndr01d
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2006, 10:00 PM

has anyone had trouble loading mp3 ripped in itunes to the phone ?

i can load anything ripped before itunes was installed

but none of my itunes rips, why is apple preventing me using songs
i've ripped off my own cd's with their own software.
its just making a case for the pirates, if i cant swap around mp3

nice way to screw your users apple

please help

4Ndr01d
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2006, 10:21 PM

figured it out, in itunes / phone / check box - convert to 128k aac
i obvious rip my songs at to large of an encoding rate

DugEE
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2006, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by 4Ndr01d
figured it out, in itunes / phone / check box - convert to 128k aac
i obvious rip my songs at to large of an encoding rate
[FONT="Arial"][/FONT]

Just loaded 50+ songs on my SLVR L7. Most of my library in itunes won't go into the phone folder, regardless of the bit rate I saved them in and all my songs are legitimate and came from my cds...Why one song is accepted and others are not remains a mystery and is driving me crazy. Help!

I like the phone - clear crisp screen, skinny and lightweight, good sound quality, camera is mediocre but for me that's low on the priority list. Walking around with the phone on shuffle is just fine and sounds great on the supplied head phones but I need more of my songs on it.

Am I missing something on the loading from itunes to phone? Thanks.

DugEE
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2006, 11:32 PM

Ummmm, as Emily Letella said on Saturday Night live decades ago....NEVER MIND....4Ndr01d is correct despite my having thought I did just what he/she recommended. Shouldn't have been sipping red wine while creating my SLVR loading....Thanks.

JaNeDoe
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2006, 04:16 AM

I have no problems loading anything on my Moto V3i.
13" (Black) MacBook: 2.0GHz/1.5GB/120GB/SuperDrive. --Lacie 500GB External Hard Drive.--Red Monster Sleeve--Radtech ScreensavR--Mighty Mouse.
*PROVEHITO IN ALTUM*

KnghtTm4Lf3
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2006, 11:16 PM

I dont quite understand what is wrong with the whole 100 song limit thing. As of right now I believe that 512mb Transflash cards are the maximum out there to put in the SLVR. So basically if you do the math the 512 card really can only hold a little over 100 songs. So basically Motorola just rounds it down instead of giving us an exact number of songs that can be held on the SLVR. But if this is not the case then I dont see why people cant just go out and buy a couple of more 512 cards for 50 bucks at Best Buy. I mean they are only thumbnail size drives. It's not like it's a big deal to carry a couple of them around with you or keep the one you want to listen to with you and leave the others at home. It isn't like Motorola can fit like 5 gig of memory into this sleek phone. It is just not going to happen. The price for it would be through the roof. If you wanted something like that then buy a Treo or something. Or stop complaining and deal with carrying around both your cell phone and ipod at the same time.
( Last edited by KnghtTm4Lf3; Mar 7, 2006 at 12:13 AM. )

jplondon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2006, 06:18 PM

The Moto Slvr is the best phone in the world for the price. If George Bush had one 9/11 would have never happened. If Sadam had one we never would have caught him. By the way Osama has one. Anyway I picked mine up for $130 from Wal-Mart 2 weeks ago. I signed a one year contract. For two years I could have got it for $90. The only thing wrong with this phone is the owners manual sucks. This phone is capable of a lot of things that are not documented. For example, you can put almost 5 2 hour movies on one of those 512 memory cards if you convert to 3gp. And if you don't have blue tooth in your car you can plug your USB into a cassette adapter and listen through your car speakers, the music mutes automatically when the phone rings.

hickey
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2006, 04:45 PM

Im going to try and switch over to cingular and get a SLVR once my sprint contract ends. But I'll check out the SLVR in person first to make sure I like the UI and all. So are the only problems so far the trouble syncing over bluetooth and not being able to load songs at 256(i think thats what it was) kbps?

BTW, how do you all like having cingular as a provider, and how much are your plans costing you?

JaNeDoe
Forum Regular
Mar 14, 2006, 10:43 PM

When I first got my RazR V3i and loaded songs to iTunes, it went real quick, but now it seems like it takes alot longer. When you guys, are loading songs to iTunes, does it take a very long time?
*PROVEHITO IN ALTUM*

norlos
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2006, 12:26 PM

I too have the V3i and I too love it. I am, however, frustrated by one thing. I bought mine unlocked on the internet (my work phone is Cingular but has an AT&T chip in it so I need an unlocked phone - not a problem since you have to special order a V3i anyway) and it arrived with a 50 song limit rather than the ROKR/SLVR 100 song limit. I understand that the limits set on phones sold overseas is lower. Anyway, I researched this on the internet and found a link that brings up a "secret" pave within ituens that has a picture of a ROKR and says reconnect your phone now to upgrade. A lot of people though this meant that Apple was going to let people buy a limit higher than 100. In fact, its a feature for the overseas users to upgrade their 25 and 50 song limits to the 100 that we have here.

Bottom line, though, is that this page didnt work. I reconnected my phone and clicked okay but my phone still shows a 50 song limit.

Anyone else have this problem?

Oh yeah, also the right earphone keeps falling out because of the weight of the cord on that side. Is there a headphone set that works better but also allows you to answer calls?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2006, 07:38 PM

I don't see David Pogue's workaround for the multiple contact entries in the RAZR anywhere on his site. Does anybody have the correct link?

Thanks!
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

TheBMills
Mar 23, 2006, 09:06 PM

So i got this beauty on Monday. I didn't get it through cingular because I wanted an unlocked phone. I tried all the instructions but Itunes does not detect it as a device. It does appear as a removable disk drive.

If this is not going to work with ITunes, I would be content to move MP3s to it. However how does one listen to the songs? My bluetooth hands free does not play any existing audi sounds. I don't see a normal jack as the only port is a USB device port

TheBMills
Mar 23, 2006, 09:18 PM

Just to add, it auto launches itunes when I connect the phone, so I am assuming it should work.

voodoodaddy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 25, 2006, 01:07 AM

well, im not sure if this is a real fix, but i had problems using my slvr phone and itunes, it was saying cannot write to phone(disc), it would load some times, i would have to repeatedly disconnect the usb and recon for it to do 2-3 songs then it was lag and say the same msg, then some days it would work fine. well i just reformated the flash card like cingular suggested, now i can upload all my songs that ive tried from itunes, some i got from my own cds. so i hope this helps all u guys, i was looking at this forum for help (didnt find it) and since this solved my problems i hope it can help some of u guys with the itunes issue, i guess some flash cards needed a simple formatting from factory?

TheBMills
Mar 26, 2006, 09:19 PM

I tried reformatting but that didn't help. I can transfer mp3's directly so I am ok with that for now. The problem I have now is that I can't get the video files I transfer over to show up on the phone. I reckon that video playback is limited to specific formats and resolutions, Motorola documentation is woefully inadequate when it comes these details.

When it comes to listning, the phone does not support music transmission over bluetooth (written in the manual). Are there headsets out there that connect to USB?

PinHed
Apr 5, 2006, 08:21 PM

Hi all, just wondering if anyone knew if it was possible to play mp3s as ringtones from flash card. thanks in advance

angelp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2006, 09:07 PM

hey guys....I have been looking all over the place and still I do not know.....two questions.....1) can you use your itunes music to set as your ringtone?....2) if you can....how?....and also...if the answer to number one is "no"....anyone know any good sites in which would let you download some really good ringtones for FREE...thanks

m_young
Forum Regular
May 12, 2006, 11:46 AM

This would be an old topic, but I just got my slvr this week, and yes, it is possible to use ANY mp3 as a ringtone, with a 192 kbps maximum, just like the rest of the phone. I haven't tried aac yet, because why mess with what works?

Here's how you do it:

Make sure your phone is set up for disc use.

In iTunes, find the file you want as your ringtone, edit the start/stop time in the info to be the part of the song you want as your ring.

In preferences, make sure you are set to import at no more than 192 kbps.

Then right click your edited song, and click "Convert selection to MP3"

Find the new version of your song in iTunes, and rename it so you can differentiate it from the original version, as both will now be in your library.

Open Finder, go into your iTunes Library folder, and find the MP3 you just made. Open another Finder window, open your phone, then open the folder called "mobile." Drag the MP3 from your library to the folder inside "mobile" called "audio."

Now eject the phone. Go to the "My Stuff" menu item, and go into the sounds folder. This is the most important part! You won't see your files. You have to hit the menu button, and click "switch storage device." Click on "Memory Card." You will now see the ringtones you made. But you are not done. You must hit the menu button and click "move" to the phone memory.

And finally, you will see your file in an area where you can select it as a ringtone.

It sounds arduous and long, but it's not really bad for being something of a workaround.

hickey
Mac Elite
May 14, 2006, 04:19 PM

for those slvr owners, does it scratch easily from regularly being carried in a pocket? does it need an invisible shield type product?

Also, does the phone only load mp3's and not AAC?

hickey
Mac Elite
May 21, 2006, 09:20 PM

bump^^

REDRUM7L
May 30, 2006, 04:42 PM

I have heard of a Motorola E790 to be launched in the US soon which has more than 100 songs. Rumor is that it synchs with itunes 4.9 and it has 128MB of Tranflash memory.

Originally Posted by f1000
http://www.cingularsleek.com/

This phone apparently requires a Bluetooth stereo headset.

It's interesting that Motorola/Cingular debuted this after MacWorld SF. I guess Jobs doesn't think much of Motorola. The latter could have had a working model ready for Jobs' keynote a few weeks ago.

jdiddy
Forum Regular
May 31, 2006, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by hickey
for those slvr owners, does it scratch easily from regularly being carried in a pocket? does it need an invisible shield type product?

Also, does the phone only load mp3's and not AAC?

The phone is pretty resistent to scratches. Never the less I still put on a extra PDA shield that I had lying around, on the screen. The body looks great and I treat the phone pretty badly. I've played MP3's on it haven't tried AAC.

frank
Baninated
Jun 5, 2006, 03:24 AM

when i call someone, my number is private (so the reciever doesn't know who i am). how can i change that so they can see my name/number?

tomzo22
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 5, 2006, 02:16 PM

I have the Slvr, its an amazing phone! The 100 song limit is easily overcome with the 1000 song hack (google it).

jdiddy
Forum Regular
Jun 5, 2006, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by tomzo22
I have the Slvr, its an amazing phone! The 100 song limit is easily overcome with the 1000 song hack (google it).
After the google hack I was unable to use iTunes with my MacBook and stuck syncing my SLVR with motoTunes on my PC. Have you found a way around that?

tomzo22
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 5, 2006, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by jdiddy
After the google hack I was unable to use iTunes with my MacBook and stuck syncing my SLVR with motoTunes on my PC. Have you found a way around that?
No, unfortunately not. Mototunes sucks, but once songs are in, you it less and less ( I think you can just drag and drop files but thats not much better) I'm using a PC atm so cant help with the mac side of that, perhaps use isync or something.....

motomadness
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2007, 12:58 PM

@iKevin : I was trying to find a case for my new Motoslvr and recently bought one from
Motorola SLVR, Motorola SLVR Accessories
Great stuff in all types of material and styles. I am sure you will find your type of case ...

Cheers!

Forum Links
Forum Rules