Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > LCD banding on 17" MBP

LCD banding on 17" MBP
Custa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2006, 07:20 AM

Has anybody else noticed on there 17" MBP Matte screen if it appears to be lower than 32bit color. If in Fireworks or Photoshop I draw a black to white gradient it is full of atifact colours. The gradient is not smooth but has banding of light blue and pinkish hues especially at the white end. Looks disgusting, never had it on my 15" TiB nor on my 20" cinema display when I plug into either. I don't even have it on my cheap analogue Dell 19" sitting on my desk at work. Surely this is not what I would expect for a AU$5000 computer???

Is anybody else's the same, if not I am going on the warpath to the Apple dealer.

The MBP has the 7200rpm disk, 2GB of RAM, has both bootcamp and Parallels installed but aprt from that nothing out of the ordinary. Another hing is the monitor looks worse in XP under bootcamp with wwhat appears to be magentaish hues and bad banding.

Please 17" owners give me some feedback.

Jason
Jul 12, 2006, 08:46 AM

That sounds a bit weird, take it back to the reseller, or call apple and have a complain! I would be anyway! My MBP 15.4" seemes to look a bit blury in certain spots, although im getting it replaced, so i'm hoping that its not something common on all MBPs.
"Amidst all the hype of modern design and computers, we have remained true by generating the majority of our designs by hand, viewing the computer as a tool and not letting it dictate our designs." - Ames Design.

Custa  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2006, 10:41 AM

Anybody else with a 17 MBP either confirm or deny this is same with theirs?

ibook_steve
Jul 12, 2006, 01:22 PM

Before you go on the warpath, you don't note whether you've done the simple act of checking your display settings to make sure they are at millions and going through the Colorsync profile configuration, found under the Color tab in Displays preferences. Always check the simple things first.

A screen shot might also help to see what you are seeing.

Steve

Custa  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 13, 2006, 04:10 AM

I have been a Mac user for the past 10 + years this being my 5th Mac in the house, somehow I don't think I would miss anything simple. There is no way that apple colorsync settings could affect the way that XP bootcamp could show similar artifacts.

I really need some other 17" MBP users out there to verify one way or the other before I get cranky directly with Apple

ewiser
Jul 13, 2006, 05:34 AM

I have a 17" MBP an have not seen any problem with banding on it.
Use Photoshop everyday on it doing photography work.

BearOso
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2006, 05:26 PM

I'm not aware of any laptop that has anything more than an 18bit display. That's 262144 colors. Laptops nearly always use 6bit TN panels for low power, size, and cost.

ibook_steve
Jul 14, 2006, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by BearOso
I'm not aware of any laptop that has anything more than an 18bit display. That's 262144 colors. Laptops nearly always use 6bit TN panels for low power, size, and cost.

Huh? All recent Powerbooks and MBP/MB use 32 bit displays, millions of colors. I thought most PC laptops did, too.

Steve

BearOso
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2006, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve
Huh? All recent Powerbooks and MBP/MB use 32 bit displays, millions of colors. I thought most PC laptops did, too.
Steve
Nope, most laptops use TN panels with 6bits of color+2bits dithering (18 bits + 6 dithering total). I'm not aware of any consumer 32bit displays, I'm sure you mean 24bit. 32 bits are used in memory to align single pixels onto word boundaries. On top of that, even desktop LCDs often have trouble getting up to 24bits because of calibration.

Forum Links
Forum Rules