Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Mark on my BlackBook

Mark on my BlackBook
BigSim
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 29, 2006, 04:10 AM

Hi everyone,

I recently bought a blackbook off the apple website, and I'm happy to say that I've experienced none of the problems reported in many of the other posts on these forums (it *does* get warm, but nowhere near as hot as my old lappy, so that's cool).

The only issue I have is the mark you can see near the apple logo in the picture in the following link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39201315@N00/200833750/

It's been there since day dot, as soon as I opened the box. It's not a regular old grease-mark, and it doesn't come off with damp microfibre; believe me, I've tried. I was wondering if anybody has had any similar experiences, and what they did about them.

I know I'm being pedantic, but I feel I have a right to be after I paid a $200 premium just for a nicer colour

Thanks in advance for your help.

lizardgator
Jul 29, 2006, 10:34 AM

It's the type of thing that would bother some and not others. If it bothers you (and that's certainly your right) you shouldn't wait and either take it right back to an Apple Store or if you don't live close to one contact Apple immediately. Don't wait so Apple can say that you did something to cause it.

Jason
Jul 29, 2006, 10:43 AM

I would take it back, you have paid for a brand new machine therefore you deserve a machine that not only runs like brand new, but also looks brand new! As said, it's something that would bother some, and not others. Although it would bother me, and it certainly seems like its bothering you.

If it was me, i would want it replaced, I asked for the tab key to be replaced because it had a little mark on it, it was a 2 minute job, and the apple reseller had a bag of 'spares' anyway, so don't feel bad or feel that you're being a nuisance because you're not!
"Amidst all the hype of modern design and computers, we have remained true by generating the majority of our designs by hand, viewing the computer as a tool and not letting it dictate our designs." - Ames Design.

HouseSold
Senior User
Jul 29, 2006, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Jason
I would take it back, you have paid for a brand new machine therefore you deserve a machine that not only runs like brand new, but also looks brand new! As said, it's something that would bother some, and not others. Although it would bother me, and it certainly seems like its bothering you.

If it was me, i would want it replaced, I asked for the tab key to be replaced because it had a little mark on it, it was a 2 minute job, and the apple reseller had a bag of 'spares' anyway, so don't feel bad or feel that you're being a nuisance because you're not!
If the Book is excellent otherwise, have it repaired by sending it in and the display side case replaced and avoid the risk of something else not being right by doing an exchange; like the cows coming home (mooing), running hot, keyboard/trackpad problems, sizzling processor sounds akawhine, or powerbrick crackling or..............

Why risk another thing showing up if it performs great. And don't forget Applecare...well worth it on these........JMHO

BigSim  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 30, 2006, 02:57 AM

Thanks for your replies and input guys!

I'll take in to my local apple centre tomorrow, I don't think they'll exchange it anyway because I upgraded the ram and HD, but I'm more than happy to send it in for repair.

I just hope I haven't left it too long already.

I'll let you all know how I go, thanks again

masugu
Senior User
Jul 30, 2006, 03:52 AM

They should be able to swap screens...but make sure you do not get one with a bad LCD!
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

BigSim  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 31, 2006, 02:56 AM

Ok, here's my update:
I took it in to the Apple Centre and after speaking with their technicians, the person who helped me told me there was nothing that they could really do there and to call Apple, which I did. The guy at Apple told me that they were usually pretty lenient within the first 14 days (it's now 20 since it shipped) and exchanged on minor things, but because I'd left it for longer, that they'd be reluctant to do anything because they aren't to know that I didn't do it myself
He also said that if it was inside the 14 days and they decided to exchange it, that there was around a 3-week turnaround at the moment from when I sent it in and when I could expect my new computer back, so I'd be without a computer for quite a while, for such a minor thing, which would be quite frustrating anyway. They didn't say anything about repairing it; and I didn't ask.

It IS only a minor thing, you can't even see it really unless you look at it from the right angle, but it's still annoying. I should've reported it sooner in hindsight, but the reason I didn't was because there was a mix-up with the invoice, and I only received that a week ago.

I guess I'll have to live with it. Thanks for trying to help anyway

HouseSold
Senior User
Jul 31, 2006, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by BigSim
Ok, here's my update:
I took it in to the Apple Centre and after speaking with their technicians, the person who helped me told me there was nothing that they could really do there and to call Apple, which I did. The guy at Apple told me that they were usually pretty lenient within the first 14 days (it's now 20 since it shipped) and exchanged on minor things, but because I'd left it for longer, that they'd be reluctant to do anything because they aren't to know that I didn't do it myself
He also said that if it was inside the 14 days and they decided to exchange it, that there was around a 3-week turnaround at the moment from when I sent it in and when I could expect my new computer back, so I'd be without a computer for quite a while, for such a minor thing, which would be quite frustrating anyway. They didn't say anything about repairing it; and I didn't ask.

It IS only a minor thing, you can't even see it really unless you look at it from the right angle, but it's still annoying. I should've reported it sooner in hindsight, but the reason I didn't was because there was a mix-up with the invoice, and I only received that a week ago.

I guess I'll have to live with it. Thanks for trying to help anyway
Don't accept it; call Apple Customer relations. Be firm and polite. If nothing else call the Better Business Bureau and if you paid by credit card you may have recourse there.
You didn't damage it, you didn't order it that way and it will prevent you from enjoying it.

Call now.

masugu
Senior User
Jul 31, 2006, 03:20 PM

Yes...Don't accept it. There is no excuse for bad fit & finish on a new machine...plus you had a delay.
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

Forum Links
Forum Rules