Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Imac to Mini

Imac to Mini
twdawson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 28, 2006, 09:17 AM

Over the past few weeks i have had phone calls with my extended warranty provider about the noisy fan issue on my Imac G5 rev A. At first they said there was nothing wrong with it and there is nothing they can do.
I was not happy with this so i demanded them to collect the machine and take it away so they could have a look at it, it came back about two weeks later with a service report saying there was nothing done to the machine because they could not find anything wrong.
So to cut a long story short i contacted them again and convinced them that the machine was faulty and it was a well known problem with the G5 Imac, once again they came and collected it, two days later i had a phone call saying that they were going to write the computer off as it was not economical to repair. Now i find that strange when they previously said thee was nothing wrong with it.
This morning i got vouchers through the post to the value of a new machine, so today i have been and got an Intel core duo mac mini with an LG Flatron 20" widescreen monitor and i love it.
The Mini is so quiet compared to my Imac it is a joy to use, and i can actually hear my music without the fan noise in the background, i had to listen to it through headphones before.

So if anyone has noisy fan issues, i would not just take no for an answer when you try to get your machine repaired, keep complaining until something gets done.
Thank you
Thomas from the UK

Tenex
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 29, 2006, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by twdawson
So if anyone has noisy fan issues, i would not just take no for an answer when you try to get your machine repaired, keep complaining until something gets done.
I've had my intel iMac for about 2 months and I swear it has no fans. Not heard one since I switched it on and it runs 24/7. I hear the DVD and occasionally the HDD but nothing else. Seriously quiet.

twdawson  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 29, 2006, 04:46 PM

You would not beleive the noise that came from the fans on my rev A G5 Imac. Glad yours is going ok, they seem to have it sorted with the later ones because my mate bought one of the G5 Isight Imacs and his has been ok.
Just glad to have something done about it at last.
Thank you
Thomas from the UK

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2006, 10:01 PM

My rev A G5 is loud too

Tuishimi
Forum Regular
Jul 31, 2006, 04:37 PM

The rev G5 A's are notorious for that. My wife has one and it is sooooooo noisy that I have to sleep it when I want to watch TV (it's in the living room). The fan sounds like a turboprop revving up for take off. Still like the computer tho'... however... I am considering buying her a new macbook laptop! She has talked about wanting a laptop for years now so... I think I will be pulling the trigger in the next month or so.
24 inch iMac 2.4, 320GB HD, 4 GB RAM
500 GB Ext FW Drv, 120 GB Ext FW Drv

Chinasaur
Senior User
Jul 31, 2006, 07:07 PM

I can hear my Intel iMac..but only if there is no traffic noise and no other computer on in the room. Even then, in a higly reflective room, the sound is minimal. Nothing like the sound of a Rev B 2Ghz iMac. I agree with imitchel, my old 2ghz was louder than my DP 1.8 G5 and my laptop from work..combined!

I don't mind the sound, but now that I've gotten my area this quiet, I'm intrigued by the possibility of going totally silent with a mini. And now that people are dropping Core2Duo's in them, it makes them all the mor attractive.
iMac - Late 2015 iMac, 32GB RAM
MacBook - 2010 MacBook, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM

twdawson  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 31, 2006, 07:42 PM

This mini i have just got is so quiet. It is the 1.66 core duo.

I was unsure about going from a fully fledged desktop to a mini, but i am not disappointed, its a cool machine.
I have not found any of my old software that does not run although some of them do run slightly slower, but i can live with it.
I even installed XP with boot camp just to see what it was like, and it runs quite fast, so overall i am happy with my new purchase, especially the lcd monitor.
Thank you
Thomas from the UK

Forum Links
Forum Rules