Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > HELP! Painfully slow Finder redraw on OS 8.6 with newest Quicktime

HELP! Painfully slow Finder redraw on OS 8.6 with newest Quicktime
Gerson
Mar 16, 2002, 08:03 PM

Hi,
I had to reinstall OS 8.6 on my beige G3/266 a few weeks ago for an unrelated reason. Now with the newest version of Quicktime (5.0.2) installed, whenever I switch to the Finder, every icon on the screen redraws very slowly, pausing the computer for a few seconds until it finishes.
I thought I might not have the newest ATI drivers, so I downloaded "ATI Video Software Update 1.0" from Apple, and then "Multimedia Update" which required OS 9.0.4, but I used Tome Viewer to get the ATI extensions out of it. No luck. I could downgrade Quicktime and see if that works, but then I wouldn't be able to use various websites that require QT 5 (like the Apple trailers page).
Any thoughts about what the problem might be? Thanks in advance!!

Cipher13
Mar 20, 2002, 07:52 AM

How much RAM do you have? 90% of probs like that are memory related.

Does the HD grind while this is happening? (if you can hear your HD normally, that is).

Gerson  (op)
Mar 21, 2002, 12:25 AM

Hi Cipher,
Thanks for the response! I have 96 MB of RAM, and the problem started after I reinstalled the OS, so I think it's probably software related...
The hard drive doesn't make any sound when the icons redraw. Thanks for the suggestions--you have any further thoughts?

Forum Links
Forum Rules