Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > NIke+ question on calibration

NIke+ question on calibration
tuqqer
Sep 23, 2006, 12:33 AM

just back from my first run with my new Nano and Nike+ Sport. But I'm not sure if the calibration went correctly.

I have an exact mile distance set out on a dirt road where I live (I've tested it with a wheel calibrator used in marathons). I ran one way for the run and walked the other way for the walk calibration.

However, at the end of the run, the Nano showed 1.2 miles. And at the end walk, it showed 1.4 miles. I hit the center button as requested, but I don't get it. Isn't there something else I'm supposed to do, to tell the Nike+ that it wasn't correct?

Both the Run and Walk calibration show a date after it.

Any ideas? I don't think it's got my stride down accurate at all.
Leopard 10.5.x •• 2.66Ghz Mac Pro, 7 Gigs RAM •• dual 20 Samsung LCDs •• MacBook Core Duo 13" 2Ghz White

badsey
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2006, 10:15 PM

I calibrated mine to 1 mile with a GPS unit (1.25M max calibration). Remember the Nike+ is an accelerometer and will not be exact. I still think mine is off ~50meters a mile sometimes (max), but it was much better after I calibrated it.

Try using the iPod with the Nike+ in the right hand and the shoe sensor in the left shoe (Nike default). Try this for a week and see if you notice a difference. I run the same course over and over and the Nike+ is usually very accurate. I have had my Nike+ for about 2 months now and also use it on other non Nike+ shoes. The iPod Nano I always hold in my right hand.

Mine is accurate in the shoe or pouched on the laces.

tuqqer  (op)
Sep 24, 2006, 01:22 AM

Actually, it may have calibrated just fine. But the interface left me confused: I set the distance for 1 mile in the iPod: I get done with a run that I know is exactly 1 mile. I look down and the iPod says "1.2 miles" ... so does that mean that the iPod *thought* it was 1.2 miles, but in fact it now nows that it's 1 mile?
Leopard 10.5.x •• 2.66Ghz Mac Pro, 7 Gigs RAM •• dual 20 Samsung LCDs •• MacBook Core Duo 13" 2Ghz White

badsey
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 24, 2006, 02:35 PM

The first time I calibrated was at an open Middle School track that I thought was 400M -must have been 300M because it was way off. The second time I used GPS at 1 mile. Out of the box, the sensor was close to 1 mile, but randomly over under 100 meters (max) a mile.

Correct, don't worry about what the iPod says. Calibrate it a few times until you get something you like. Take it back to Nike and exchange it for another if you feel it's not working righ tafter a few calibrations.

I'm 210lbs and train at 8-10min miles for 5-6 miles every day. Hoping the weight comes down and the miles get closer to 6-8min miles. Fastest mile ever was 4:36 in senior year of high school, under 5 minutes a mile when racing was typical. Give me a few years with the Nike+ system and I will be racing 6min miles again. Patience and consistency is the key.

awcopus
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2006, 04:43 PM

I had better luck calibrating to 400meters than 1 mile. Just my 2 cents.

Closing in on 200 miles (about 10 to go) and my kit has started dropping out (ending my workouts) all on its own. Very big pain in the ass. I've been using it for months, so I'm not sure that Apple or Nike is going to take it back at this point. Hmmmmm.
Liberty lover since birth. Mac devotee since 1986.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2006, 09:26 AM

I've been running with mine for a week now. I did a 5K on Saturday morning, but I haven't calibrated it, so when I finished the 5K run it said it was 4.75K.
I need to go to a track and calibrate this.

Other than that, It's great.

dazzla
Senior User
Oct 10, 2006, 01:37 PM

I walk about 3 miles to and from work each day so I thought I'd pick one of these up for that and for when I go running. Now I used the Marware pouch with my trainers and calibrated a walk (400M) but when 400M was up the iPod barely registered 100M, when I clicked center and "done calibration" it just threw up an error message saying something like the distance hasn't been travelled.

Any clues?

Also how does it know when you're walking and when you're running (out of interest)?
( Last edited by dazzla; Oct 11, 2006 at 01:56 PM. )

badsey
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 10, 2006, 09:06 PM

make sure the sensor is facing up. Walking or running should not matter.

Elektrix
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 10, 2006, 11:37 PM

Btw, you said you hit the Center button as requested? It actually says to press the Menu button when you have finished calibration. Was that just a typo on your part?

I had pretty good results when I calibrated it. I walked and ran a distance I knew to be 1.3 miles, and it registered as 1.35 miles (this was before calibration, of course. I mean, I set the distance as 1.3 miles and while walking it came out to 1.35, and then i hit the Menu button to complete the calibration.

badsey
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 11, 2006, 09:06 AM

my iPod Nano Nike+ will only calibrate to 1.25 miles or 2.01km at the maximum.

Remember the Nike+ is an accelerometer and will not be exact. Over time you see this more. Some days I will run an extra +/- 400-800 Meters when going 5Miles. This doesn't really bother me, my Nike+ motivated me for a workout enough and all the extra distance (or even less) is a bonus. At $30 it motivates me to run.

Garmin has GPS units (ForeRunner) that are $100+ and up that are probably better, but there you don't have iPod music/podcasts.

The Nike+ gets people out walking or running for $30 on a consistant basis. You have people that have never walked/ran a mile before and now want to see if they can make it to 2 miles. It's never really about distance, it's more of a mentality and being consistent. There is not a better product for <$30 that gives them this mentality = many people try running/walking and then stop.

Elektrix
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 11, 2006, 09:29 AM

Yeah, I agree with you on that. I'm not really looking to the Nike+ as something to keep a 100% accurate measure of how much I run, etc. But one of the things that helps motivate me is having something that just tells me how much I've run, or will keep track of things if I say I want to run 1 or 2 miles, etc.

The Forerunners do look cool to me, but I think the Nike+ fits my needs currently.

I need to doublecheck what I calibrated at, I might have only set it to 1.25 and it recorded 1.35 when I calibrated.

dazzla
Senior User
Oct 11, 2006, 01:55 PM

To be honest, I actually tried calibrating it just stuck in my sock first time round (hey, I read it worked with some people!) because I only had my work shoes. Today I really used the marware pouch and some nikes and it worked flawlessly. I calibrated a section (roughly, I took the measurement from Google Earth) for 0.25 miles and when I'd walked it it read 0.23 miles. I clicked menu then done calibration then carried on home.

The walk which I got as 2.89 miles on Google Earth came to 2.91 miles on the iPod so that's way more then accurate enough for me

I'm a happy Nike+iPodder

One thing though, on the Nike+ website, I can't seem to set any goals. I click Goals - Set a goal and then proceed to do so but when I click "set a goal" after choosing one I get taken to a white screen and that's it.
( Last edited by dazzla; Oct 11, 2006 at 02:02 PM. )

Elektrix
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 11, 2006, 01:59 PM

One site to mention is MapMyRun.com -- Mapping your running routes has never been easier!