Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MB with 20" external display...Font not crisp...

MB with 20" external display...Font not crisp...
protyne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 24, 2006, 04:41 PM

hullo,

I am using a LG L204WT 20" LCD with my MB.

Running at 1680 x 1050 with mirroring and MB lid close.

Everything looks fine except for the font/text for the System Menu, Mozilla, etc.

It doesn't appear crisp. Is it a setting that I missed or its mean to be this way?

Thanks for advising

protyne  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 26, 2006, 05:16 AM

I have already tried smoothing under System Pref --> Appearance.

Like the help file said, may or may not see any changes. And indeed no change was seen.

I am comparing this lesser crisp effect between the MB's LCD and my LG 20"

Could it be this 20" does not produce appearance as sharp and crisp as the MB's glossy LCD?

thanks

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 26, 2006, 10:16 AM

This is kind of odd. LG says that that is the native resolution for that monitor, so it should be pretty darn sharp. Of course that 20" monitor is larger, with the same number of pixels, so each pixel is physically larger; this could be the whole thing. If by "not crisp" you're talking about looking very closely at that monitor and seeing some fuzziness, that's probably the issue. And as you'll no doubt have seen discussed here, the screen coating can make a big difference in how sharp each image comes out on a display.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

protyne  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 26, 2006, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
This is kind of odd. LG says that that is the native resolution for that monitor, so it should be pretty darn sharp. Of course that 20" monitor is larger, with the same number of pixels, so each pixel is physically larger; this could be the whole thing. If by "not crisp" you're talking about looking very closely at that monitor and seeing some fuzziness, that's probably the issue. And as you'll no doubt have seen discussed here, the screen coating can make a big difference in how sharp each image comes out on a display.
Hi there, I guess that could be the reason with the pixels appearing physically larger than before.

I am very used to my MB's LCD and its super sharp and crisp.

I guess its decent overall but far from the gloss image of the MB's LCD.

Thanks for advising!

iREZ
Professional Poster
Dec 26, 2006, 05:10 PM

you cant mirror your lcd screen at 1680 x 1050 because your macbook screen is only 1280 x 800.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

MacsKickAss
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 26, 2006, 08:24 PM

I purchased the exactly same monitor (LG L204WT) for my MacBook Pro and noticed the same fuzziness - I wasn't sure if it was just me or if something else was going on.

I used the monitor initially with a VGA cable and I didn't notice anything unusual but when I purchased a DVI cable and started using it that was when I noticed the fuzziness. Could be a coincidence? I should note that I use the 20" LG fairly close to me.

Other than that it seem to be a great display - small bezel and footprint yet large screen size to work with.

mrplow
Dec 26, 2006, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by iREZ View Post
you cant mirror your lcd screen at 1680 x 1050 because your macbook screen is only 1280 x 800.
You also can't mirror with the lid closed- the internal is disabled. Doesn't help solve you're problem, but wanted to jump on board of the nit-picking

Forum Links
Forum Rules