Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Moving Entourage to new MBP - worried.

Moving Entourage to new MBP - worried.
The_Man
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2007, 01:06 PM

I am upgrading from a Rev A MBP to the newest 2.33 ghz model. I will not be doing a total backup of system settings since there are many apps I won't be installnig on the new machine. My concern: I have my whole life organized in the Project Center in Entourage. I have bunches of projects each associated with countless emails, tasks, calendar items, data files etc. I have read an article stating that all you need to do is copy the Office 2004 Identity folder to the same location on the new machine and all your Entourage data will be present on the new machine. Is it that easy? Copy that folder and Entourge won't even know it has been relocated? My Entourage is tied to an Exchange 2003 server account. Has anyone done this under similar circumstances as mine? Any advice and experience would be greatly appreciated.

OreoCookie
Jan 24, 2007, 04:11 PM

You should use Migration Assistant to move your home directory and your applications to your new machine. Then there's no need to copy anything manually.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

peterthorn
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 24, 2007, 04:28 PM

I would take the whole Microsoft User Data in the documents folder and copy it to the new machine. You will need to reenter your password to the server but that should be all.

The_Man  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2007, 04:48 PM

Thanks for the feedback.

Oreo: I have a ton af apps I installed just to test them, so I don't want to copy them all. Does the Migration Assistant allow me to just copy MS Office and no other apps? That would be ideal.

I booted the new MBP and saw the "setup Assistant" screen asking me if there were settings I wanted to transfer from another Mac. That sounds perfect, but I wish to transfer the Users, Network Settings, Files and Folders and only some of the apps. Is that possible?

Actually, I'm going through all this hassle just to ensure the cleanest running system possible. I'm a relatively recent convert from Windows and am fearful of leaving a hard drive full of unused applications because removing them in the Windows world was always an inconsistnet process. Deleting them left tons of leftover garbage, and even official uninstalls would leave traces in the registry, system folders, etc. Am I worrying for nothing? Is permanently and completely removing an application really as simple as dragging the app to the trash? If that's true, I can use the Setup Assistant to copy everything over form the old Mac and just delete the stuff I don't want. Does it really work that well? If so, why are there third party applications out there designed to remove applications from OS X? Does that imply that moving them to the trash does not constitute a full-proof uninstall?

Thanks again for your help.

peterthorn
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 24, 2007, 05:52 PM

No, the migration assistant takes all apps - you can't choose (but you can choose just to transfer your account and no apps). If you have tried a lot of apps, I wouldn't transfer the account, as the library would contain a lot of junk. Instead I would set up an account with same username, shortname and password as the old, boot the old up in firewire target mode (hold T down as you boot), copy selected items from the old to the new (besides music, documents etc, I would look in library and copy the Safari folder, which contains your bookmarks, and copy your keychain, which is a bit more tricky as it has to be imported in the new machine - and then perform a first aid on the keychain and repair permissions on the harddrive.

The_Man  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2007, 09:59 AM

After getting feedback here I chose to not have the setup assistant copy anything from my old Mac and just move the Identities folder. Just as Peter said Entourage booted, asked me for my Exchange password and everyting is in perfect order.

Thanks!

Forum Links
Forum Rules