Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Java in Parallel / XGrid

Java in Parallel / XGrid
mrplow
Apr 18, 2007, 03:57 PM

I'm a student at Canrgie Mellon and we currently have a competition for the best Chess playing bot-- one of the most critical optimizations is to perform game tree searches as deeply and quickly as possible-- your moves are timed, so the faster you can perform them the deeper depths that you can search. I was thinking about this assignment today, and realized I could push my depth search from depth 4 to probably 6-8 if I take my program to the apple store and let it run on an 8 core mac pro. Then I was thinking, why not use xgrid on all of those computers as well...

maybe I'm getting carried away with xgrid, but if anyone has any suggestions to do anything like this (as basic as parallel alpha-beta-tree searches all the way up to utilizing xgrid with Java) please speak up. Even links are appreciated.

thanks

Thinine
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2007, 10:27 PM

Does it have to be in Java? I'm not sure the Xgrid APIs exist for Java, and if they don't, you'll have to manually generate jobs for each node and explicitly tell them to start.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2007, 08:06 PM

Yeah, you should be able to just use Java RMI. But yeah, minimax search should be easily parallelizable. Propagating alpha-beta cutoffs might be slightly trickier.

Forum Links
Forum Rules