Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook Trackpad Button

MacBook Trackpad Button
dialo
Senior User
May 19, 2006, 01:11 AM

For you MacBook owners: how is your trackpad button? On mine it's very flexible on the sides and if I hit it too far toward the outer edge, by where the lid is lifted, it sticks a little, making it hard to double click. Basically, I have to click it in the middle toward the keyboard side or it doesn't work property. Anyone else experience this?

applesnapple
May 19, 2006, 01:28 AM

I don't actually have one but my friend got one, and I've tried it out, and I do not notice any of these issues. I would get it checked out at the apple store while your warranty's still good. Sometimes the rev a models have minor defects so don't hesitate to go to apple on this one

dialo  (op)
Senior User
May 19, 2006, 09:26 AM

Well, it's easy to miss what I'm talking about. It took me about an hour before it really started to bug me. The flexibility on the sides (it's more flexible tha the iBook or PowerBook, making it more difficult to click) is apparently just how it's manufactured, since after taking the battery I can see that there simply is no support.

However, I still can't tell if what I'm experiencing in the middle of the button is simply how it's manufactured (in which case it needs to be revised) or if mine is slightly off. Basically, I have to click it directly over the contact or else it sort of rolls, making it slighty stick. If you image x and y axes, in order to get a solid click I basically have to hit the button on x=0, y>0, in other words, in the middle toward the keyboard. Otherwise it's difficult to double click.

Did anyone else notice anything like this?

ntsc
Senior User
May 19, 2006, 09:50 AM

my iBook G3 600 has this it is not a new thing. not sure whether thats really acceptable or not, but then it never really bothered me cos i tended to use the tap functions to click
"You can't waste a life hating people, because all they do is live their life, laughing, doing more evil."

-ALPHA ROBERTSON,whose daughter was one of four girls killed in the bombing of a Birmingham, Ala., church in 1963.

maximusbibicus
Forum Regular
May 27, 2006, 09:09 PM

Just picked up my Macbook moments ago and the button is pissing me off. Basically I have to click RIGHT in the centre of the button or it doesn't register. Sometimes the far left will work, but never the far right. I am thinking of going back to morrow to have them take a look at it.

popstand
Forum Regular
May 27, 2006, 09:29 PM

The button is stupid. Way too flexible. Just give me two !@#$ing buttons instead of one enormous one already! They did it with the mouse, why not the laptops?
Ad Hominem attacks are for losers...

krise
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 28, 2006, 03:26 AM

the button doesn't really bother me. i love the implementation of the trackpad as a button (two finger scroll, two finger tap "right click") i don't even use the button at all. so much easier for me to just tap the pad

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
May 28, 2006, 04:24 AM

My button is a tad flexible, but the click will work at any place on the button, even the extreme edges of the button
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

rcl1221
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2006, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
My button is a tad flexible, but the click will work at any place on the button, even the extreme edges of the button
mine will work all the way across, but the tactile feedback on the left and right edges is garbage.

bkpbc1
Jun 3, 2006, 01:20 PM

Yeah, I don't have much luck either when it comes to right-clicking using the trackpad. It just doesn't see to be able to register that there are TWO fingers clicking and not one. However, I have been right-clicking by doing a regular click while holding down the Ctrl key. That works!

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2006, 02:14 PM

I followed a quick fix that I saw somewhere to get the button, well, decent, and it works! All you have to do is fold up a small bit of paper, take out your battery, flace the paper over the round indent you will see in the metal in the battery bay, place the battery back in, and presto, your button is 10X better!
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

inspirationroom
Jun 5, 2006, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
I followed a quick fix that I saw somewhere to get the button, well, decent, and it works! All you have to do is fold up a small bit of paper, take out your battery, flace the paper over the round indent you will see in the metal in the battery bay, place the battery back in, and presto, your button is 10X better!
i did this with a tiny piece of paper folded over itself 2 times, so that it was 4 paper layers thick, and it its amazing feels so solid. thanks for this ridiculous but actualy fix

KidKit
Forum Regular
Jul 18, 2007, 02:08 AM

Sorry to revive an old post, but thought I might share something useful. My trackpad button started to develop the "metallic click" before the actual click that has been reported in other forums.

Improvising on a suggestion on that forum: I removed the battery, and while holding the button down in the clicked position, pushed up on the button gently from below on the left and right sides of the button (you'll see the 2 metal ends of the trackpad button exposed in the battery compartment, on either side of the round indent mentioned above).

That fixed my metallic click problem AND made the click crisper! I think the metal plate on the button is the spring, but its quite flexible and warps over time and use. So pushing it up merely formed it back to shape and improved the tension, removing the loose metal click and mushiness. Sad thing is my MacBook is only a month old, I hope this does not have to be done regularly. But anyways, hope this helps
mavafyipdq

Dawgs2010
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 18, 2007, 12:07 PM

My button started to bother me last night. It felt like it was gushy, and not the crisp tap. I played around with it for about ten minutes, and i finnaly got it back to were it was crisp.

JustinHorne
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 18, 2007, 04:10 PM

It isn't on all the macbooks, mine clicks no matter where I press, and isn't squishy.

Forum Links
Forum Rules