Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > What happened?

What happened?
Clivey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 20, 2007, 03:33 PM

Okay, I'm using the girlfriend's iBook to post this because something really worrying just happened to my PowerBook:

I have been using the computer all morning/early afternoon at home with no problems at all, before bring it to my girlfriend's place.

Upon then trying to connect to her wireless network I found that the Airport logo in the Finder bar had vanished. I started Safari and ran 'Network Diagnostics' to try to see if I could connect to the network from there, Airport was running but it turns out there was a problem with the network. My main concern was the disappearance of the Airport logo in the first place.

Whilst waiting to see what would happen regarding the network (router trouble-it's sorted now), I decided to do a bit of housekeeping on my computer. I then found a "program" in my 'Applications' folder called "Maintenance.app" and decided seeing that I'd never used it before to find out what it did.

Initially when I ran the application, it asked me to let it verify the permissions on my hard drive. I let it but at some time during the process I recieved an error message stating that the program had quit unexpectedly and that "Mac OS X and other applications are not affercted" (or similar).

I then restarted my computer and OS appeared to be loading normally - until I clicked on my username icon. As I did this, the screen went black and showed what appeared to be the console program with "Username:" written in the top corner. I entered my username, hit return and it appeared to accept, then showing the word "Password:" underneath. The problem is that no matter what I try and type, the characters aren't accepted.

Does anyone have an idea about what the hell is going on?

Clivey  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 20, 2007, 06:02 PM

To add to the above post: The actual error message reads:

Darwin/BSD (Computer-Name.local) (console)

Since leaving the computer on this screen, this line has been added to the screen:

Login: Stealth Mode connection attempt to UDP xxx.xxxx.x.x:xxx from xxx.xxx.x.x:xxx

...what's going on?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 20, 2007, 06:43 PM

Sounds like your computer is booting into single user mode.

And Unix/Unix-like systems typically don't show the number of characters you've typed for your password. Just type the password and hit enter to login.

Clivey  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 20, 2007, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Sounds like your computer is booting into single user mode.

And Unix/Unix-like systems typically don't show the number of characters you've typed for your password. Just type the password and hit enter to login.
OKay, you're right so far! (Thanks!) It's logged into Darwin.
It now says:

Computer-Name:~ Name$

I just want to log-into Tiger and use it as normal... What do I do?

P.S. (To anyone kind enough to help me) Sorry if I'm a complete n00b but this is my first Mac and I've not really had any problems with it up until now. I really don't know much at all, therefore it'd probably be less confusing if you talk to me as if I've never used a Mac before. Thanks,

Clivey

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 20, 2007, 08:09 PM

Sorry, I didn't even read your post the first time. I've seen this issue before, caused by an Airport card that wasn't quite seated. Did you drop or jar your PowerBook just before this all started?

Shutdown the machine (shutdown -h now), unplug it and pop out the battery, open the little hatch next to it, and push the Airport card back into its slot.

Clivey  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 21, 2007, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Sorry, I didn't even read your post the first time. I've seen this issue before, caused by an Airport card that wasn't quite seated. Did you drop or jar your PowerBook just before this all started?

Shutdown the machine (shutdown -h now), unplug it and pop out the battery, open the little hatch next to it, and push the Airport card back into its slot.
Nope, can't be that. The computer's not had a shock of any kind and the Airport card's seated correctly. I took the computer into the store I bought it from today and seeing as I have a full backup they've suggested an Archive and ReInstall.

I've found a document on Apple's support website detailing how to do this but the one thing it doesn't give you is the shortcut you need to use when starting the PowerBook to force it to boot from the install CD. Know what it is?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2007, 11:42 AM

It sounds like drive corruption of some sort.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Clivey  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 21, 2007, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
It sounds like drive corruption of some sort.
Yeah, that's what the store said - all I need now is the keyboard shortcut to boot from my install CD.

EDIT: I've found it. Command + C

Thanks everyone for their help,

Clivey
( Last edited by Clivey; Nov 21, 2007 at 12:06 PM. )

msuper69
Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2007, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Clivey View Post
Yeah, that's what the store said - all I need now is the keyboard shortcut to boot from my install CD.

EDIT: I've found it. Command + C

Thanks everyone for their help,

Clivey
Actually, just restart and hold down the C key. No need to press Command.

Clivey  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 21, 2007, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by msuper69 View Post
Actually, just restart and hold down the C key. No need to press Command.
Yeah, I just realised that I didn't actually type what I was thinking (brain fart . I've got the computer working again now, thanks!

Can I refer you to the following thread? I need assistance with getting the computer "back to normal" post Archive and Install.

http://forums.macnn.com/90/mac-os-x/...install-setup/

Cheers,

Clivey

Forum Links
Forum Rules