Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Problems downloading

Problems downloading
BigBadWolf
Forum Regular
Jan 7, 2009, 02:04 AM

I have been having problems downloading recently using both Firefox and Safari. Certain things download fine, but other do not. Most recently I was trying to d/l the software for Logitech's Harmony remote and something strange happened. Both from Logitech's site and Version tracker when I tried the d/l of the dmg, it opened up a new window trying to load the file. I tried to right click the d.l button, but it would not allow for the "save as" choice. Eventually I was able to find a mirror and used the right click save as, but it was annoying not to be able to do it right away.

This same thing has happened with several files and I cannot figure out why. Any help would be appreciated. BTW, I have the latest versions on both and am running 10.5.6 with an MB Pro 2.4, if that is of any concern.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 7, 2009, 02:47 AM

You usually don't have to right-click and choose save as to save files anymore. The last number of times I've tried that manual procedure, it hasn't worked properly. If the download in question does not work with a regular click of the link to it, it's probably no longer a good link. If you list some of the URLs to the files in question, we can test them out to see if there's anything wrong on your side.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

BigBadWolf  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 7, 2009, 04:37 PM

I know that the link was good as I was able to use it on my mini. In any case here is the link: http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/44...l=us,en?osid=9

Just for some reason it does not work on the MB pro.

Cold Warrior
Jan 7, 2009, 07:32 PM

It took a few seconds on mine. A Safari window opened up with the direct link, then a few seconds later I got the Downloads progress window.

Make sure you don't have ad blockers on or javascript off (although my ad blocker was on and it worked fine).

Also create a new user account on your MBP and see if it works with that user.

Forum Links
Forum Rules