Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > PowerBook G4 + Airport Express + WPA Personal

PowerBook G4 + Airport Express + WPA Personal
Clivey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2009, 04:58 AM

Hi everyone,

I've been running a WiFi network (using an Airport Express base station) with WPA Personal security for some time now, but recently I needed to update the software on my PSP, which is only compatible with WEP (128-Bit) security. "No problem", I thought. "I'll change the security to WEP, do the update, then switch it back".

Only, I have just tried to change my wireless security from my PowerBook G4 using Airport Admin Assistant, and upon selecting 'WPA Personal' from the drop-down box, a window popped-up saying:

Joining a WPA-protected network and making changes to a WPA-protected base station requires a WPA capable computer. This computer is not WPA capable. If you continue you will not be able to join the WPA-protected network or make changes to the WPA-protected base station.

My instant thought is "What the ...? I was using WPA before!"...and I'm now concerned that if I go ahead and change it back to WPA, I'll lose control of the network entirely.

Put simply, my question is: "What should I do?"
( Last edited by Clivey; Oct 9, 2009 at 06:19 AM. Reason: To correct an error in the first line of the post. I had typed "WEP", when I meant "WPA". This has now been corrected.)

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2009, 07:08 AM

Go to Software Update and make sure you have Airport up to date. What version of OS X are you running?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 7, 2009, 11:04 PM

Use WEP.

Clivey  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 8, 2009, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Go to Software Update and make sure you have Airport up to date. What version of OS X are you running?
Hi, I'm running OSX 10.4.11 and all software is up to date - I'm now confused because I know I had WPA personal encryption before and I'm at a loss to figure-out what I've done differently.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 8, 2009, 09:13 PM

"Software" may be up to date, but the firmware for your AirPort card is not, and updates to AirPort firmware are included in the AirPort software updates. I think what you need is this download, the AirPort Utility 5.4.1 update.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Clivey  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 12, 2009, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
"Software" may be up to date, but the firmware for your AirPort card is not, and updates to AirPort firmware are included in the AirPort software updates. I think what you need is this download, the AirPort Utility 5.4.1 update.
Thanks for that!

I didn't realise that the software updates didn't include firmware updates. Is this true for the whole system? If so, are there any easy ways to make sure you have the latest firmware for everything?

Cheers,

Clive

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 12, 2009, 08:20 AM

The software updates DO include firmware updates. But when you ran the last point update, your firmware was probably up to date. And the system probably still thinks the firmware is good-though your experience using AirPort says there's something wrong. Running the (stand alone) AirPort Utility update should rewrite everything and correct your problem. The beauty of this is that if there's something else wrong, the update can't hurt anything.

Clivey  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2009, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
The software updates DO include firmware updates. But when you ran the last point update, your firmware was probably up to date. And the system probably still thinks the firmware is good-though your experience using AirPort says there's something wrong. Running the (stand alone) AirPort Utility update should rewrite everything and correct your problem. The beauty of this is that if there's something else wrong, the update can't hurt anything.
Sorry for the delayed reply (my life is extremely busy at the moment), but I didn't understand your post...

...what's a "point update"? And why would my computer suddenly go from having the correct firmware and settings to not?

Thanks for taking the time to help ,

Clive

EDIT: Just to avoid confusion, my Airport is now working properly. Thanks for your advice.
( Last edited by Clivey; Oct 9, 2009 at 06:39 AM. )

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 9, 2009, 07:59 AM

The "point update" I was referring to would be like a Software Update OS bump from 10.5.6 to 10.5.7...

Glad you got things working; I'm still not sure HOW the AirPort card's settings/firmware got goobered, but getting it fixed is more important than knowing how it stopped.

Forum Links
Forum Rules