Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > white macbook crack, anyone else?

white macbook crack, anyone else? (Page 4)
Andrew88088
Aug 8, 2008, 05:50 PM

The Apple Store replaced mine on site for free. He did it in about 15 minutes and said that he put a 90 day warranty on it. I asked him if they had changed the plastic in the new top cases and he said as far as he knew, they hadn't.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2008, 04:48 AM

No, the plastic has definitely not been changed. What has supposedly happened though is that Apple increased the distance between the plastic bumper bars on the screen bezel and the edge of the bezel.

PowerbookG3
Aug 9, 2008, 06:02 AM

I've heard of cracks appearing as well.

It was a guy trying to sell/trade on another forum.

I guess this means that the new casing should be some form of metal, because the plastic isn't cutting it.

Brien
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2008, 11:09 PM

Well, just like with the new iPhones, that's what happens when you design plastic that's only a few mm thin. So in one respect I'm hoping they do decide to go to metal casings (and hopefully have color options like the iPods, even a black option would be great).

Mine started cracking again last week, and also was having problems with the optical drive, so it's at the repair depot. I am hoping that the fifth time is the charm, but the people on the phone and in the store aren't very pleasant to deal with.

BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2008, 11:35 PM

I have an appointment in the morning to get mine looked at. Hopefully they can fix it on the spot.

Brien
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2008, 11:16 PM

Case #3 has started cracking, so I'll need to book another trip to the Genius Bar.

Boingo: in my experience it's usually a 1-day repair. And with all the iPhone hysteria still going on I don't think they'll be slow enough to be able to do it in 1-day, but try and see if they can. I'd love if they would do mine same-day.

BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 18, 2008, 10:15 PM

I dropped it off last Monday and picked it up today (it was done on Thursday, but I don't live nearby, so I didn't make it there until today).

Overall, I'd give the repair job a C+. It looked fine in the store, but I didn't really look that closely. I just noticed there were no cracks and went on my way. When I got home I noticed there is a "chip" on the back of the new palmrest pad right behind the keyboard near the hinge. It look like a tool or something nicked it and then bent it a little. The trackpad clicker barely clicks at all. I mean, it works, but I can't actually feel the click, you know? Also, the whole thing seems "warped." It sticks up a little on the sides (leaving a small space open), and looks as though it wasn't the exact right size. It must have been repaired right at the end of someone's shift or something. The screws on the back were also in way too tight, and as a result were bending the bottom case.

Pretty disappointing really. I can't tell if I'm actually any better off or not, but the Apple store is too far away, and I'm really sick of trying to find appointments online that fit my schedule.

( Last edited by BoingoBongo; Aug 18, 2008 at 10:28 PM. )

tripletaker
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 19, 2008, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by tripletaker View Post
*sigh*

Looks like mine has the same problem too. I bought mine in January 2008. So after 8 months I have a crack. I should have gotten a MBP. Time to sell it after I get it fixed!
By the way, the Genius told me that 99% of the cases crack because people hold the computers with one hand on the exact same spot. He said if my computer cracks a number of times I'm doing something wrong.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 19, 2008, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by tripletaker View Post
By the way, the Genius told me that 99% of the cases crack because people hold the computers with one hand on the exact same spot. He said if my computer cracks a number of times I'm doing something wrong.
The genius is wrong. It comes from the top case repeatedly closing onto the bottom case, and the plastic on the bottom case just can't take it.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 27, 2008, 09:28 PM

I got too annoyed with my botched repair job that I took it back to the store today. They keys looked crooked and goofy, and the whole keyboard was warped. It was really weird. The Genius noticed it right away. He said that they had sent it out to be serviced last time, but they had the part in stock today, so they were able to replace it in the store.

Now I'm very happy. Apple definitely does have fantastic customer service in its stores.

mms4zd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2008, 11:35 PM

so I was just sitting here doing my homework when I was stabbed in the palm by something and I looked down to find a piece of the supposedly indestructible polycarbonate shell FALLING OFF my black MacBook! I have had my amazing computer for 2 years this-coming January and this is the first time I've been disappointed. I decided to do some research and here I am... I had absolutely no idea that there were problems with the shell. I clean and care for it religiously and this happens? This should not happen- period. I take better care of this notebook than some people do of their own children and pieces are FALLING OFF. Like a damn molting canary! Ridiculous.

vexborg
Senior User
Oct 4, 2008, 02:25 PM

Edit - Merged from another thread.

Yesterday I discovered a crack at the edge of the right side of palmrest on my MacBook - it's about 3 cm long.

After doing a bit of Googling, I found out that is a quite common problem on the MacBook due the "stand-offs" on the display bezel hitting the dge of the palmrest roughly 2 mm from the very edge. I then looked at the left side, I noticed that another crack has started to form there as well!

I've written Apple here in Denmark and asked if I can get the palmrest replaced? The problem here is that the MacBook is out of warranty, so I'm not hoping for much - if anything at all.

For the time being I've put a piece of white gaffatape over each crack (doesn't look that bad, but it isn't an ideal solution). The positive thing is that the sharp edges on the palmrest are now ok to keep my wrist on
( Last edited by vexborg; Oct 4, 2008 at 04:45 PM. Reason: I'm not alone...)
The gene pool needs cleaning - I'll be the chlorine.

vexborg
Senior User
Oct 8, 2008, 11:11 AM

An update:

Just spoke to AppleCare, after they've asked me a couple of questions, and after I told them what exactly was wrong with the palmrest - they asked me to send the MacBook in for repairs (which they'll do for free).

<Mr. Burns> Excellent! </Mr. Burns>
The gene pool needs cleaning - I'll be the chlorine.

bernholzr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 21, 2008, 03:59 PM

Clearly, the raised areas near the top edge of the screen section are impacting the surface of the keyboard deck and cracking it on both sides of the mouse pad. I just epoxied the left side, that had splintered with a sharp point sticking out. The I noticed the left side also cracked in a similar but less hurtful way and noticed what was causing the cracks.

I intend to discuss the matter with Apple.http://forums.macnn.com/images/smili...school/mad.gif

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 21, 2008, 08:38 PM

Apple is repairing affected units, even out of warranty. You shouldn't have any trouble.

It was slightly redesigned along the way to help the problem (on newer versions, the little feet are farther in), but I suspect the real problem is the top case plastic being too thin, and the redesign only helps a little bit.

But I advise everyone to try and avoid storing the MacBook under high compression if you can avoid it. (E.g. don't stuff it into a full backpack.)

Cold Warrior
Apr 8, 2009, 08:08 PM

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 9, 2009, 02:16 AM

deVilliers
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2009, 07:42 AM

If you're in the UK then you are protected by statute. Section 14(1) of the Sale of Goods Act 1979 requires requires that anything that you buy as a consumer be of satisfactory quality. Section 14(2B) provides that this relates to the appearance and finish, freedom from minor defects, safety and durability.

The limitation period is six years - so this applies well after the initial 12-month warranty expires. If the cracks start to appear more than six months after the purchase, the customer has the responsibility of demonstrating that the fault is due to machine itself. If the cracks appear before 6-months then this is presumed.

Also, if these issues are within the first six months then Section 5A applies - which gives further customer protection.

filzy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 19, 2009, 02:58 PM

I am experiencing BIG problems with all my macs.

The first mac had a hardware malfunction where the cd wouldn't eject.

The second mac the PLASTIC WAS MELTING ON IT

The third mac had a software problem where it was missing all the drivers.

I am now going to the apple shop tomorrow and demand the aluminium one for all my problems.

Hope this helps.

And for the price you pay for them they should work probably.

Cheers

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 19, 2009, 03:23 PM

So because you had problems you feel you're entitled to an upgrade? If you came into my store *demanding* an upgrade I would do nothing of the sort, and I have a feeling the people at the Apple store will react the same way.

Simply go in and ask for help, and point out *nicely* that this is the third time you've had a problem with your machine. I suspect that will get you a lot farther than any demands will.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

bishopazrael
Mac Enthusiast
May 19, 2009, 04:26 PM

I gotta agree.. how does you having separate issues with 3 separate macs translate into free upgrades and new hardware?
Backups are like guns and condoms. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

solecrazy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 15, 2009, 01:23 AM

i was just about to take my 9 month old macbook to the apple store to have my top case replaced for these hairline cracks...

right side of macbook

left side of macbook (crack starting to appear)

and now with my bad luck...my younger brother accidently knocked my macbook off my bed and i have this crack in the right corner also...do you guys think apple will still replace it for free?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2009, 02:19 AM

Who cares what we think? It's Apple you should be worried about. Go show it to them. Be kind and be honest. If you're not lucky first time you can try another time.

Langdon
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 27, 2009, 04:50 AM

So is this problem still happening on the newest batch of white macbooks?

Or has apple wised up and changed the plastic composite so it isn't prone to cracking from the lid closing down on the palm rest.

Rumor
Jul 27, 2009, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by Langdon View Post
So is this problem still happening on the newest batch of white macbooks?

Or has apple wised up and changed the plastic composite so it isn't prone to cracking from the lid closing down on the palm rest.
Nope, it is still happening. My roommate bought one about four or five months ago, and it began cracking on the top case.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 27, 2009, 06:42 AM

Defective by Design

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

emsko
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2009, 10:57 PM

Same crack on my white MacBook. Went to the Genius Bar at my local Apple Store today. My warranty expired 6 months ago. They replaced the lower case for free. Had to wait about 45 minutes for the repair to be completed.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2009, 01:03 PM

Interesting _long_ thread. I wonder how many of the posters here are the same ones who argued here and elsewhere that plastic Mac cases were superior to metal because metal scratches (matters naught to me) and deforms (absorbing energy, IMO a good thing) when abused.

-Allen Wicks

karen-clark
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 20, 2009, 01:43 AM

This is so frustrating. I came online to see what could be causing this and was astonished to read so many have the same problem. I will be taking it in ASAP but thought I'd share. This is a brand new (4 mo old) MacBook. The left side cracked about a month ago, and tonight the right was cracked. Since taking the pic, the little bit hanging on has quit! Grrr!

Thorzdad
Apr 18, 2010, 07:56 PM

My daughter was home from college this weekend and showed me the exact same cracking on the upper-right side of her MacBook (spring '09 vintage) We'll be visiting the Apple store as soon as finals are over. In the meantime...some packing tape will hold things together.

Thorzdad
Dec 28, 2010, 10:06 AM

So, back in the Spring, we got my daughter's cracking Macbook repaired. So, guess what? The replacement deck Apple installed is cracking in the very same way after less than a year of use. Back to the Apple Store, I guess.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 28, 2010, 12:05 PM

Apple has changed their policy.

Before, they'd replace the topcase if the 'Book was less than 3 years old. Now, they'll replace it three times for any machine, regardless of age.

The replacement topcases Apple are sending out are of equal, if not inferior, quality.

Thorzdad
Dec 28, 2010, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
The replacement topcases Apple are sending out are of equal, if not inferior, quality.
Inferior? That would seemingly ensure multiple replacements, wouldn't it?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 28, 2010, 06:08 PM

It would if they were of equal quality, as well.

Fit and finish, and the little tabs that snap into the bottom case just don't match up nicely to the originals.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 28, 2010, 06:25 PM

But Spheric, now they've added the little plastic shims that make the top case magically better!

Thorzdad
Jan 3, 2011, 03:35 PM

So, my wife took the daughter's MacBook in to the Apple Store today. They have the replacement part there, so we should get it back later this afternoon.
When I was inspecting the MacBook, I also noticed that the left side panel of the MacBook (the side with all the ports) was "wobbly". That is, one could easily press it in-and-out. This didn't seem right to me, so I had my wife point it out to the Genius at the Apple Store. There are two screws at the front of that panel. I assume those hold that panel in-place, yes?

Anyway, my wife points it out to the Genius, and they tell her that those screws are purely cosmetic, and the movement of the side panel shouldn't hurt anything. WTF???
I assured my wife that Apple doesn't do cosmetic screws. So, we'll see if they do anything about that panel.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jan 3, 2011, 03:45 PM

They really are cosmetic. Its not a lie. The ones on the other side only hold the top case down.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Thorzdad
Jan 3, 2011, 03:57 PM

Really? That's very surprising. Thanks for the info.

So, what's supposed to hold that side panel in-place, so it doesn't bend in and out like that? Or is that normal for those MacBooks?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 3, 2011, 05:53 PM

Nothing but the little tabs that the topcase hooks into it with, that are not as solid as they used to be.

It's always bent in and out like that to a point.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jan 4, 2011, 05:54 AM

The bottom case is a moulded tray/ You put the guts in, put the lid on and then screw the lid into place from one side, the back and the inside of the battery bay. Most MacBooks don't bulge out at the sides but I have seen one or two that were quite bad. They were damaged by customers iirc.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

aguapanela
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 20, 2011, 09:08 PM

Inherited my parents' old macbook (2.16ghz, 120gb) and it has a crack near the apple sign and on the hand-rest edge. It was made in mid-2007 and is out of warranty. What should I do to find out if I can still get this fixed?

thanks

Thorzdad
Jan 20, 2011, 09:16 PM

It can't hurt to ask. I suggest taking it into an Apple Store and seeing what they can do.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 20, 2011, 09:21 PM

I've had mine fixed once out of warranty and it just cracked again. Looks like I'll be taking it back for a do-over.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 20, 2011, 09:23 PM

ahem:
Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
they'll replace it three times for any machine, regardless of age.

melissa Moody
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 13, 2011, 06:31 AM

I am very concerned, I have had numerous laptops in my life although this is my first macbook. The case is slowly falling apart. All corners are chipped and now the bottom edge of the top half under the screen is severely cracked and may come off. Will mac replace this...every thing else is fine wth the exception of word not opening up. Any one ever had mac replace it?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 13, 2011, 07:54 AM

Try it. They will definitely replace the topcase. On my machine, replacing the plinth around the screen was a free option for the service provider.
( Last edited by Spheric Harlot; Aug 13, 2011 at 08:23 AM. )

Ham Sandwich
Aug 14, 2011, 04:08 PM

This is exactly why Apple did away with their Macbooks. You would think that 10 years of plastic computers and Apple's last should be their most reliable.

I purchased an extended warranty plan with mine, and had the screen replaced (the usual long horizontal scratch mark), the sides of the screen (chips), and keyboard replaced due to chips near where I rest my wrist. They replace it all at no charge. Poor F'er who I sold it to a few months back now it's his problem. LOL.

Also contact Apple since you sound like you're switching to Apple to ask if they can give you a discount if you decide to replace that chipbook with one of their metal-body machines. I've heard of Apple granting customers some very surprising discounts/fixes depending on the situation.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 14, 2011, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Andrej View Post
This is exactly why Apple did away with their Macbooks. You would think that 10 years of plastic computers and Apple's last should be their most reliable.
No, this is NOT why Apple did away with plastic MacBooks.

The issues described in this thread haven't been relevant for over two years, since the MacBooks went unibody.

Phoible
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 18, 2011, 11:22 PM

I recently had the top case replaced on my mid-2007 MacBook right before I sold it (bought a 2011 13" MBP).

Had no problem getting it replaced (even though it was long out of warranty). Just took it in and they replaced it for free. They actually also replaced the front bezel because they said that had cracks in it as well. I think this was the second time they replaced the top case on that model...

Forum Links
Forum Rules