Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Hybernation not supported under 9.0.4?

Hybernation not supported under 9.0.4?
Goggles
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 14, 2000, 02:47 PM

Hey folks,

I just read that hybernation mode is supported on the Pismos but will not work under OS 9.0.4?!? What gives with this? Why does it work under OS 9 but not 9.0.4? Will it be brought back under 9.1 and is it supported under OS X?

Cheers,
Goggles

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2000, 03:43 PM

If hybernation mode is sleep mode, then that's flat out wrong. I never turn my Pismo off anymore. I just put it to sleep.

If hybernation mode isn't sleep mode, then I've never heard of it. What is it?

Don
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 14, 2000, 07:08 PM

I can only assume that you mean the "Preserve memory contents on sleep" option where the contents of RAM are written to the hard disk, so that should even the RAM backup battery fail, you can resume work after waking the machine. If this is what you meant, it has indeed been disabled in 9.0.4; disabling it was Apple's "solution" to a problem with that option that sometimes caused data corruption.

The Mac OS X public beta doesn't support it, but whether the final version of OS X, or 9.1 for that matter, will support it is really up in the air. I, too, wish I knew, because I have a Pismo and I'd like that option... oh well.

tooki

Goggles  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2000, 01:43 AM

Yes, thank you tooki, that answered my question.

Forum Links
Forum Rules