Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook@333+dvd problems

Powerbook@333+dvd problems
ktolis
Nov 20, 2000, 08:01 AM

Problem: Powerbook @ 333 dvd dead (not mine, a friends').got new original apple dvd drive. cant play dvds. any solutions? tried player from 9.0.2 and 9.0.4 and latest (2.2.1 from Apple I think)

ktolis

Goggles
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 20, 2000, 01:03 PM

If your Powerbook runs at 333MHz then it must be a Lombard. Lombard was the code name given to the previous generation of Powerbooks to the current lineup which is called Pismo. There were two models of Lombard available last year, one was 333MHz and the other was 400MHz. The low-end Lombard Powerbook running at 333MHz does not come with or support a DVD drive nor does it support adding one. Only the 400MHz version of the Lombard supports DVD. The current Pismo line does its DVD decoding in software, taking advantage of the more powerful ATI Rage Mobility 128 chipset. The Lombard 400 had additional DVD decoding hardware as opposed to the current software method. Sorry, but your 333 will not be able to play DVD's...

uberden
Forum Regular
Nov 20, 2000, 03:30 PM

"You can also look on the underside of the PowerBook; the product ID label has DVD on it if the decoder is installed."

Go to this article:
http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n58337

"Note: If the PowerBook G3 Series (Bronze keyboard) did not come pre-configured for DVD decoding, there is no upgrade available from Apple to provide that capability."

[This message has been edited by uberden (edited 11-20-2000).]

vin
Nov 23, 2000, 05:54 AM

And if it DOES have the DVD-decoding hardware, the current Apple DVD Player will NOT work. You need the v1.3 software (as opposed to the 2.x).

Demiurge
Nov 25, 2000, 02:11 AM

I had my PB 333 custom made with DVD playability. Look in the System Profile to see if your PB has all the necessary hardware installed.

ktolis  (op)
Nov 27, 2000, 06:35 PM

ok the thing with v1.3 of the dvd player works now ... no problem.
but another issue came through:

the dvd drive (from vst as i found out) does NOT boot from system 9 cd !
this is quite awfull for him as he already dual boots his PB with 8.5 and system crashes are not rare these days...

any suggestions?

ktolis

Forum Links
Forum Rules