Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Outlook Express 5.02 -Type 2 error- Sending Mail

Outlook Express 5.02 -Type 2 error- Sending Mail
jmarc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2001, 12:51 PM

Hi.

I have this little problem with Outlook Express 5.02. Actually it's a bloody huge problem cos it means I can't send email

I can open the app fine, and even check my email (not always), but whenever I try to send anything, even a simple text email, the app crashes and gives me a 'Type 2' error.

I read the posts concerning the type 2 error and tried compacting the database, to no effect at all.

The program worked fine until I installed OS 9.1 which came with my new keyboard. I'm running a Powerbook 500 by the way.

I have office 2001 installed and this was never a problem before. If there's no obvious solution to this problem is there any way I could uninstall the 9.1 upgrade? I just want this to work, really need it for work and can't afford the downtime!! arrghhh! HELP!

J

jmarc  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2001, 01:41 PM

Just tried doing a complex rebuild of the OE database and outlook actually crashes when doing this....

Tried trashing Internet Prefs. and restarting > no luck

Tried trashing OE Prefs. > no luck

I am starting to shake from the inside with that horrible little stressed out feeling you get when this type of thing happens and you've been sitting there for 3 hours trying to figure it out with no results.

But i guess I'll be ok...

J

starbreez
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2001, 03:25 PM

Sorry I can't help, but to get into the fray, I have a similar problem. OE5 crashes with a Type 3 error for me, when it is just about to download any emails from my yahoo account. What's more, the Inbox and one of my subfolders to the inbox keeps showing one unread message, despite no evidence to that effect. AND, an email i sent keeps popping up in the subfolder and the inbox!
Tried trashing prefs, restarting, running disk aid.

jmarc  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2001, 05:44 PM

Ok after trying absolutely everything I decided I just could not afford the downtime, and reinstalled the OS 9.04.

Surprise surprise!! Outlook Express now works fine, can send emails just like I could before.

Had to do a clean reinstall and even though it's a pain (I had to reinstall a few things) the installer very kindly leaves a copy of your old system folder on your drive, for all those of you which may have forgotten to back some prefs up.

So at least in my case I can say that it was the OS 9.1 that was guilty!

J

Gerson
Apr 12, 2002, 01:56 PM

NOTE: I'm reviving a year-old thread!

Strange--today, exactly a year after the last post was made in this thread, I'm encountering almost the same problem.

I can open Outlook Express, and even send email. But when I try to RECEIVE email (hitting the "send and receive" button) the application consistently quits with a Type 2 error.

I'm running OS 8.6 on a beige G3/266 with 96 MB RAM, and Word 98 and IE 5.1.3 installed (I thought I'd mention that, in case the MS shared libraries could be the problem).

What confuses me is that I didn't install ANY new software or change the configuration of the computer in any way, and yet the problem just started a few days ago.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!!

jmarc  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 13, 2002, 09:51 AM

Well!! I have to say i was quite surprised when i got the email saying 'Someone has posted a reply to your post...'

Kind of made me think 'But... what on earth, that was like a year ago!'

Anyhow, back to our problem. I have to say it's been a while since i've had any outlook problems, as I'm now running Entourage X on OSX 10.1

But as I recall, my Outlook problem was spontaneous too, just happened from one day to the next. I tried everything, and the ONLY thing that did the trick was a clean reinstall of the whole system. This probably isn't very good news but hey, we're dealing with Microsoft products here (you're entering a world of pain!).

Hope this helps!

Gerson
Apr 13, 2002, 03:24 PM

Thanks for the reply!

Did you do a clean reinstall of the OS? (Or did you have to wipe the entire drive? ugh....)

I just don't understand why this is happening, and I'm in the middle of writing papers for school, so I have limited time to deal with computer problems....

jmarc  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 14, 2002, 02:48 PM

I just reinstalled a clean system without wiping the drive. I made a backup of my system folder (if I remember correctly the OS9.0.4 installer did this for me, but maybe this isn't a feature of the OS8.6 installer).

I then copied the necessary files and drivers from my old system folder and voila, it worked)!

Gerson
Apr 18, 2002, 12:35 AM

Thanks again for your responses--
It turned out that installing the new version of Outlook Express (the security update) solved the problem, mysteriously enough. So while I don't know what went wrong, it's at least functioning properly now.

Forum Links
Forum Rules