Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Newton 2100 screen

Newton 2100 screen
Lamont
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2000, 04:46 PM

On my Newton 2100, after using it for about 15 minutes with the backlight on, the text will start to fade so that I have to adjust the contrast in order to see it. After turning it off for a while, the screen readjusts so that the "new" contrast setting is too dark. Has anyone else had this problem, and is there a fix? Or is my screen beginning to fail?

pcp_ip
Forum Regular
Jun 28, 2000, 07:33 PM

the contrast is changing as the newton warms up. you'll also notice if you leave it in the sun and start it up the contrast will be wacked.

i remember a newton app that checked the temp and then adjusted the contrast auomatically. I'll try and find it.

------------------
www.studio2f.com

[This message has been edited by pcp_ip (edited 06-28-2000).]

sine -''-..-
Grizzled Veteran
Location: meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meo
Jun 28, 2000, 10:34 PM

Well the applet you're looking for is Auto-contrast. Here the link to the download:
ftp://ftp2.amug.org/pub/amug/amug-files/newton/utilities/2.x/auto-contrast-1.01.sit.hqx
I've never tried it myself... good luck
sine -''-..-

now known as pillowcase

Goggles
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2000, 10:38 PM

This is normal. I have owned one since 97 and this is a very common problem. Temperature changes; especially drastic ones, will have an adverse effect on the contrast of your Newt (ie. direct sun to air conditioned room). The package you want, that helps but does not totally eliminate the problem, is called Nick's AutoLCD v1.1. You should be able to find it online at www.logictools.de

Cheers,
Goggles

Lamont  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2000, 01:27 AM

I really appreciate everyone's reply, and I'm glad to know this is normal. It's great to know that the Newton is still (somewhat) alive and that there is now a great place to get info. I'm still amazed at how much it can do as compared to brand new PDA's.

Forum Links
Forum Rules