Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Quicken 2002 is so s. . .l. . .o. . .w. . . .!!!

Quicken 2002 is so s. . .l. . .o. . .w. . . .!!!
TT Esq
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 27, 2001, 02:31 PM

Since Quicken 2001 was terribly crash-prone while running it inside of OS-X, I was one of the first to jump on Quicken 2002.

Not only does it not have any new features -- not the subject of my rant here -- but it is so slow as to virtually be unusable!!! The response time for some actions can be 30 seconds to more than a minute! Switching windows, redrawing registers, and so forth, can all take a full minute -- something that should be virtually instantaneous.

I knew that it would be trouble when I first installed it. Reconfiguring my data file -- something that it says may take a "few minutes" -- took more than 45 minutes. I have a 2.5 MB data file, and I cannot see how this would take THAT long. I thought that perhaps Quicken was hanging and in some infinite loop -- but it did end up finishing.

Is anyone using the 10.1 beta and Quicken 2002? I was wondering if there is indeed hope on the horizon. . . .??? I'm on a G4/ 450 with 512k and 30 GB HD.

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 27, 2001, 03:43 PM

I have been using Quicken since 1994 (not sure what version) and have grown not only to love the program but depend on it. I have pre-purchased every version as soon as it was available but have noticed in the last few years that the features are starting to dwindle and the stability is lacking.

Quicken 2001 in classic mode just plain sucked. It crashed, it lost data (thank god for back ups) so I was really looking forward to 2002 for OSX. The good is that is in OSX and is much more stable. It also plays nice with multiple users (not like 2001). The bad is the have left a bunch of features behind (like Home Inventory) and it is slow. On my 350MHz G4 with 512MB Ram it is probably the slowest application. It looks nice, behaves but they need to bring the speed up and bring back features. Every year I buy another version of the software and every year I lose features. Seems like something is wrong.

TT Esq  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 27, 2001, 09:25 PM

Yes, I thought that it was just me who noticed the disappearing features! It is kind of a bummer. I guess they took a playbook from Microsoft -- a new product each year that you just "have" to get, but really no new features.

One thing that really annoys me -- for quite a while, they have been advertising this feature where you can view your accounts online on your "My Quicken" website. However, one little thing that they didn't mention -- Windows only!!! What gives???

Anyway, I really hope that the sluggishness gets resolved when OS X 10.1 comes out.

mogura
Aug 27, 2001, 10:11 PM

I was thinking...what are they talking about? I had installed Quicken 2002 a few days ago and did some over due book keeping, and found it quite fast. Then I read the rest of the replies...I am using 10.1 and yes, it is fast. At least for simple activities and reports, I found it quite pleasing, actually.

I can't wait for 10.1 final. It's gonna rock!

<macrophyllum>
Aug 31, 2001, 11:25 PM

I am using Quicken 2002 and 10.0.4 and I don't find it that slow. It is certainly and order of magnitude better than 2001 running as a crash-prone carbon app. It certainly doesn't take 30 seconds to open windows or resize them. It does boot a little slow.

popheader
Sep 3, 2001, 02:29 AM

Wow I can't believe all the bad stories re: Quicken 2002! When I saw it advertised in Macworld the other day I was excited. I'm waiting for 10.1 to come on cd before I make the leap to X. I was planning on upgrading from Q98 but after all this I don't know? Has anyone noticed at least if this version truly is more stable? I've been using 98 since it came out with hardly any problems, but I hesitate to run it in the classic mode. Any feedback welcome.
If it wasn't for cynicism, I wouldn't have anything good to say at all

Raining Down in Texas
Forum Regular
Sep 3, 2001, 12:26 PM

Originally posted by popheader:
<STRONG>Has anyone noticed at least if this version truly is more stable? I've been using 98 since it came out with hardly any problems, but I hesitate to run it in the classic mode. Any feedback welcome. </STRONG>
I just installed Quicken 2002 yesterday and played with it a bit - I haven't run into any major problems so far. I too used Quicken 98 before (BTW, it worked fine under Classic for me). It seems stable and faster than I expected on my iBook 466 running OS X 10.0.4. It imported my ~550 Kbyte Q98 file in less than 10 seconds. I updated stock quotes right away with no problem.

The only thing that I don't like so far is that the top toolbar is not resizable and has a lot of wasted space if you do not put account buttons on the bottom. Since there is a register selection button on the toolbar, I'd rather eliminate the buttons and reclaim the vertical space.

After picking a new tab on the top of the window may take 1-2 seconds for the screen to refresh. Graphs and reports are pretty much instantaneous

Other than these minor nits, it'd looks solid to me so far. If I come across any strangeness as I play with it more, I'll post an update.

Forum Links
Forum Rules