Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Any word on QPS Drivers for USB?

Any word on QPS Drivers for USB?
popheader
Apr 10, 2002, 12:25 AM

Has anyone heard anything YET! about when the drivers for the USB line of CDRW's will be done? The last I heard it was going to be 2-3 weeks, I think that was mid March. If anything, owning a Mac is a challenge in waiting for software to catch up with the platform.
If it wasn't for cynicism, I wouldn't have anything good to say at all

BTP
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2002, 01:48 AM

Originally posted by popheader:
<STRONG>If anything, owning a Mac is a challenge in waiting for software to catch up with the platform.</STRONG>
Well, that might be true in some area of OS X, but this issue is HARDWARE. The fault lies with QPS, not Apple.

I had one of those and even in OS 9 it never burned at 4x. It was crappy and good riddance.

Added note: There is a long thread on the QPS CDRW already. Search this forum for "QPS" and you'll find it.

[ 04-10-2002: Message edited by: BTP ]
A lie can go halfway around the world before the truth even gets its boots on. - Mark Twain

The Evener
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 10, 2002, 01:07 PM

Hi there,

I posted the following message in the old Que! thread a few days ago, so I thought I would post it here since this topic is still visible on the main page...

There was a story over at MacFixIt a few days ago that relates to our "beloved" Que! USB drive, and it appears QPS is turning to the USB back panel upgrade to get the burner to work under OS X 10.1.x...a quote from the e-mail sent to them states:

"It appears that new hardware will be required for at least some QPS USB drives to achieve Mac OS X 10.1 compatibility. A reader writes: "Several weeks ago QPS released drivers that allows OS X recognize but not write to their drives�much to the disappointment of Que CD-RW owners long left in the lurch. Now QPS has given up on drivers and apparently will offer a program to allow owners to replace the back end of the drives. I recently wrote QPS tech support about repeating 'send SCSI command' errors in single-user mode with the Que drive plugged into the USB chain. Monday morning I received this response:

'The company that wrote our USB driver is aware of this issue and thought that their new driver version had corrected it. They have informed us that they would not be able correct it without major revisions and have decided not do this for a product that is no longer being produced. Our customer service dept is putting together a program for customers who have our older USB drives which would enable them to have the back panel on the drive replaced with a newer version that will work with OS X 10.1. To find out how to have the panel on the drive upgraded, contact customer support.'"

So it looks like the news Troll shared with us several weeks ago is turning out to be true. Wonder how much this upgrade program will cost us?

Before I forget...you can write QPS about this program at
[email protected]

Addendum: I wrote to QPS customer service, but as usual I didn't receive a peep back from them.

I think it's safe to say that QPS is up to its old tricks again. First, it was Apple's fault, then miraculously a driver appeared from QPS a few weeks ago, which in reality was written by Cypress Semiconductor and released by them two weeks earlier. In both cases, the Que! USB could finally read CDs, but still no luck with burns which kind of defeats the purpose of paying $300 for a burner, don't you think?

In any event, due to the outcry from users about this "non"-driver, QPS pulled it from their web site, leaving the message "coming soon" ever since. I ran out of patience with QPS, and finally purchased a Matshita UJDA330 CD-RW and swapped it with my iBook's built-in CD-ROM, so I can finally burn with my tangerine machine. What a relief to be rid of that Que! doorstop. My advice would be to sell your burner on eBay while these units still fetch prices in the $70-$100 range. Then visit http://www.xlr8yourmac.com and consider upgrading your built-in CD-ROM drive. They have guides and feedback from users who have used a host of different CD-RWs -- it's a great resource.

Sorry for the longer post...

"Psssst..."

popheader  (op)
Apr 10, 2002, 11:32 PM

Originally posted by The Evener:
<STRONG>Hi there,

I posted the following message in the old Que! thread a few days ago, so I thought I would post it here since this topic is still visible on the main page...

There was a story over at MacFixIt a few days ago that relates to our "beloved" Que! USB drive, and it appears QPS is turning to the USB back panel upgrade to get the burner to work under OS X 10.1.x...a quote from the e-mail sent to them states:

"It appears that new hardware will be required for at least some QPS USB drives to achieve Mac OS X 10.1 compatibility. A reader writes: "Several weeks ago QPS released drivers that allows OS X recognize but not write to their drives�much to the disappointment of Que CD-RW owners long left in the lurch. Now QPS has given up on drivers and apparently will offer a program to allow owners to replace the back end of the drives. I recently wrote QPS tech support about repeating 'send SCSI command' errors in single-user mode with the Que drive plugged into the USB chain. Monday morning I received this response:

'The company that wrote our USB driver is aware of this issue and thought that their new driver version had corrected it. They have informed us that they would not be able correct it without major revisions and have decided not do this for a product that is no longer being produced. Our customer service dept is putting together a program for customers who have our older USB drives which would enable them to have the back panel on the drive replaced with a newer version that will work with OS X 10.1. To find out how to have the panel on the drive upgraded, contact customer support.'"

So it looks like the news Troll shared with us several weeks ago is turning out to be true. Wonder how much this upgrade program will cost us?

Before I forget...you can write QPS about this program at
[email protected]

Addendum: I wrote to QPS customer service, but as usual I didn't receive a peep back from them.

I think it's safe to say that QPS is up to its old tricks again. First, it was Apple's fault, then miraculously a driver appeared from QPS a few weeks ago, which in reality was written by Cypress Semiconductor and released by them two weeks earlier. In both cases, the Que! USB could finally read CDs, but still no luck with burns which kind of defeats the purpose of paying $300 for a burner, don't you think?

In any event, due to the outcry from users about this "non"-driver, QPS pulled it from their web site, leaving the message "coming soon" ever since. I ran out of patience with QPS, and finally purchased a Matshita UJDA330 CD-RW and swapped it with my iBook's built-in CD-ROM, so I can finally burn with my tangerine machine. What a relief to be rid of that Que! doorstop. My advice would be to sell your burner on eBay while these units still fetch prices in the $70-$100 range. Then visit http://www.xlr8yourmac.com and consider upgrading your built-in CD-ROM drive. They have guides and feedback from users who have used a host of different CD-RWs -- it's a great resource.

Sorry for the longer post...</STRONG>
Evener, Thanks so much for the info! Can't say I'm too surprised, pissed yeah looks as though I will give this burner to my wife to use on her PC. I was waiting Hoping I could use it for my imac 333mhz, Oh well all I can say is I will never buy anything from QPS again I will look into the cdrw you described maybe it will work in the rev.c imac too? I'll look int o it. Thanks again for the info.
If it wasn't for cynicism, I wouldn't have anything good to say at all

Alex00087
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 11, 2002, 01:28 AM

Originally posted by The Evener:
<STRONG>...My advice would be to sell your burner on eBay while these units still fetch prices in the $70-$100 range...</STRONG>
Hey how much did you sell yours or on eBay? I was thinking of selling mine too cuz I just bought a new iMac G4 with a combo drive and I don't need my Que Doorstop either...lol

The Evener
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 11, 2002, 02:37 PM

Originally posted by Alex00087:
<STRONG>

Hey how much did you sell yours or on eBay? I was thinking of selling mine too cuz I just bought a new iMac G4 with a combo drive and I don't need my Que Doorstop either...lol </STRONG>
I haven't sold my unit yet, although I'm preparing to do so in a few weeks time. I'm leaving town for a few weeks so that's the reason for the delay. Also, we'll have to avoid a flood of Que! drives for sale on eBay so we don't drive down the price!

I just searched again for "completed auctions" on eBay to see what the Que! was fetching, and it seems the average price was closer to $90, which isn't bad. Most units sold were offered with the QPS bag and the included CDs.

I actually have tangerine panels for my Que! so it would match my iBook, so I'm hoping including those with the original bondi blue ones will interest buyers.

Popheader -- I looked into CD-RWs for your iMac at the site I mentioned, and the Rev. A - D models (tray-loading) basically take laptop CD-RWs, and several iMac people upgraded with the same drive I used, the UJDA330. Others have tried additional models with varying degrees of success. One problem that I gleaned is that upgrading the CD-RW in the iMac requires more work than the iBook -- you have to fool around with master/slave settings, possibly solder, connect jumper cables, etc.

[ 04-11-2002: Message edited by: The Evener ]

"Psssst..."

Skinlayers
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 12, 2002, 11:42 PM

Originally posted by popheader:
<STRONG>Has anyone heard anything YET! about when the drivers for the USB line of CDRW's will be done? The last I heard it was going to be 2-3 weeks, I think that was mid March. If anything, owning a Mac is a challenge in waiting for software to catch up with the platform.</STRONG>
QPS finally updated their Que! USB driver for OS X. I didn't work for me at first. I would put in a blank disc, and it would prompt me to "prepare" the disc, but would give me any options under the "format" drop down menu. Toast would burn for about a minute and then stop. Now its giving me a list of formats, but I have not tried burning yet.

Things to note about this driver: drivers using the Mitsumi 4804 can't read audio, and Toast is not supported. It seems a lot of people have been having a lot of sucess with these drivers. Hopefully QPS (or should I say Cypress) will update these drivers again to support Toast.

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
May 13, 2002, 12:42 AM

ok, we have 3 threads on this, use the other (much bigger) one.
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

Forum Links
Forum Rules