Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > iTunes 2 trouble

iTunes 2 trouble (Page 2)
magellanspowerbook
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2001, 05:17 PM

I don't get it. I have a standard two partition setup plus a portable USB hard drive full of every document I ever use. I installed both the OS X and the OS 9 versions of iTunes 2, the X version first, the 9 version second. Not the first problem. I agree the restart was a little weird, but I restarted and it worked.

I don't know if Apple posted multiple versions of this program yesterday, but I got mine when I got home at 1 a.m. to surf the news sites. Anyway, I love iTunes 2, both versions, but I will think twice before helping install it on my friends' machines.

Dan Szwarc
Senior User
Nov 3, 2001, 05:21 PM

That's it. I just deleted iTunes2 and trashed the installer. I am NOT taking any chances.
Dan
"I guarantee that I am correct."
(not a guarantee)

lfrancis
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2001, 05:24 PM

Originally posted by lfrancis:
<STRONG>new version won't run, console reports "Launch failed with error code -2857".</STRONG>
Forgot to ask -- anyone know of an error reference so I can look up -2857?

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 3, 2001, 05:28 PM

DL'd and installed Sat AM. No problem. I have two volumes formatted under X.1 Disk Utility. "Classic" and "Mac OS X" Did not remove iTunes 1.1 (in /Applicatioins).

Previously I ran the Partition Fixes 1.1 and it didn't find any errors. I did need to run Disk Warrior a couple days ago after a nasty freeze, and seems to be fine now.

I always like to have a couple backups. Off-line.

Whatever it was, I don't think there is any excuse for releasing software - I don't care how simple it seems or how complex the testing needs to be, this doesn't cut it. Rush finish to be done by Friday 5 PM to have the weekend "free?" Not very free if they burn midnight oil to clean this up.

Gregory

t_hah  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2001, 05:32 PM

There are people asking for my hardware details:

Here it is:

Hard drive
unit number 0
ata device type ata
device serial 11N74178T
device revision U0.31 A
device model TOSHIBA MK2016GAP
TOSHIBA MK2016GAP
Size: 18.62 GB
Capacity: 20 GB
Mac OS 9
Volume format: Mac OS Extended (HFS+)
Capacity: 9.76 GB
Available: 3.33 GB
Percent full: 65
Write protected: No
Is being file shared: No
Where:
Mac OS X
Capacity: 5.85 GB
Available: 3.80 GB
Percent full: 35
Where:
Backup
Capacity: 3 GB
Available: 2.94 GB
Percent full: 2
Where:

Hardware overview
Machine ID: 406
Model name: PowerBook G4
Keyboard type: PowerBook G4 Keyboard with Inverted-T
Processor info: PowerPC G4 (1.3)
Machine speed: 500 MHz

t

GnOm
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 3, 2001, 05:35 PM

T- i am real sorry for you.
My conclusion out of this mess is we really need a good backup solution for MacOS X urgently.

bye.

Christopher Long
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2001, 05:36 PM

I say that it is a problem with the installer but it may be a permissons issue. I had somewhat the same problem as most of you.

Here is my setup:

Dual G4/450 OS 10.1 and 2 physical drives with no more with 1 partition each.

My my boot drive was fine after the install of iTunes2, however my second hard disk seemed to be empty I could see the drive but could not view any file or folders on it, it look like the drive was formated.

I made sure I had my "status bar" turned on in the Finder and then highlighted the dirve still nothing was on the disk but I did see in a crossed out pencil on the status bar. I enbled root access in NetInfo Manager and logged out of the admin account and logged in as root ( do not use the terminal application).

When I tried to view the drive from a Finder window all of my files and folder were there, I could access all of them.

I then got info on the drive and somewhere in the "get info" box (I forget what the options exact name) and it had an option for setting permissions and allowing the volume to be seen. I set that option it took a moment then logged out and back in as admin user.

Now all is just fine with my system. I have no problems accessing that disk. I can read, write, change anything on the disk.

Perhaps this could help some of you. Things may be diffrent if you have more than one partition on a single drive.

I also installed iTunes on a Cube and no problems at all with it. The Cube has one drive with one partition.

Also you should go back into NetInfo Manager and disable the root access.

Hope this can help someone.

Good luck boys and girls.

Chris

[ 11-03-2001: Message edited by: Christopher Long ]
Everything Macintosh.

sg01
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2001, 05:51 PM

Hey all. I'm new here and would like to submit this. I started downloading the Itunes for 10.1 (between 3am -4am cst). Got up this morning to load into system and diskcopy show an error message. I did an info on the itunes bin. and it showed a short download and itunes for version for 10.1.1.1. So I go to software update and see if 10.1.1.1 is out , no updates!!!!!!!!!

Guess 10.1.1.1 is somewhere on the front.

supernature
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2001, 05:52 PM

Okay, I just ran the installer to see what happens.

I have a TiBook 400mhz with a 10gig HD -- 3 partitions. Ran this using 10.1.1 (build 5M13 I believe) and I did NOT remove the old iTunes.

"Mac OS X" partition speaks for itself
"Snoopy" partition for OS 9.2
"Video II" for my scratch drive for video work.

I have two users setup in OS X. One for me and one for others.
I log in as myself, being the admin of the computer.
I launch iTunes installer package directly from the virtual mounted drive it created for itself.
I unlock and put in my password.
I choose the desitination volume (Mac OS X).
I hit the proper buttons to start install.
It installs the software in a few seconds literally, and takes about up to two minutes to optimize.
I wait for the 30 second countdown, and automatically restarts.

iTunes 2 is good to go, and the rather poor job of backing up my files at the last minute before I installed iTunes was all in vain. All my files were still in tact.

Not sure what the symptoms are. I really don't know if the installer script is the problem or not, although that rm -rf does look like the culprit. I still don't know how it ends of erasing all the files on other partitions despite theirs no volume name correlation to this whole thing.

Otherwise, I'm a happy camper. I don't need to reinstall anything at least. I guess it's safe to trash my backup since all is well. Well... maybe I'll keep it for future problems.

[ 11-03-2001: Message edited by: supernature ]

moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Nov 3, 2001, 05:54 PM

Well, **in addition to** the permissions problem, there is definitely a dataloss issue for some people when installing iTunes 2 -- I haven't figured out exactly what/why yet -- I'm not sure the info about spaces in drive names is correct.

I do know that real data loss is happening. If your data is extremely important to you, do not install iTunes 2 on Mac OS X yet. If you have lost data that is extremely important to you, I suggest going here:

http://www.drivesavers.com/
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

villalobos
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2001, 05:59 PM

If this can be of any help. I could not install Itunes 2 from a non administrator account, even after entering the admin account data.

The second thing: after installing from the admin account and restarting once, everything went berserk. Inserting a music CD had Itunes 2 stop responding. Could not force quit. Could not force quit anything for that matter. only the dock was responding, although no application was launching or quitting. I used the magical reset button in front of my powermac to restart, and everything is working ok now.

good luck to you t.

villalobos

t_hah  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2001, 06:12 PM

I took moki's advice and emailed DataSavers.
I need to get my data back. I cannot afford to loose all that.

But why is Apple so quite?
I am not trying to be pain in the butt, but I should be working right now...and I cannot. All I can do is watch the forums, and the Mac News sites to see if something comes up, that will help.

t

GnOm
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 3, 2001, 06:19 PM

Originally posted by t_hah:
<STRONG>
But why is Apple so quiet?</STRONG>

heh, they won�t admit it if a tree stuck in their head for everyone to see, that�s how they are.

bye.

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 3, 2001, 06:37 PM

<STRONG>I took moki's advice and emailed DataSavers.
I need to get my data back. I cannot afford to loose all that.

But why is Apple so quite?
I am not trying to be pain in the butt, but I should be working right now...and I cannot. All I can do is watch the forums, and the Mac News sites to see if something comes up, that will help.

t</STRONG>
Have you called Apple about this yet? I'm very curious to see how they handle this situation.

Good luck with the recovery.

dark3lf
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2001, 06:54 PM

Wow, I guess I dodged a bullet. I have 2 drives and 3 partitions, none were affected.

X Cal
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2001, 07:06 PM

What I dont understand is why they can't just post it as a "copy" install like Omniweb instead of using this rather dodgy Installer.

Callum
Signatures are not really my strong point. So im not gonna bother with one.

......oops

sniffer
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2001, 07:08 PM

<STRONG>There are people asking for my hardware details:

&lt;snip&gt;

Hardware overview
Machine ID: 406
Model name: PowerBook G4
Keyboard type: PowerBook G4 Keyboard with Inverted-T
Processor info: PowerPC G4 (1.3)
Machine speed: 500 MHz
</STRONG>
Hmm.. Just noticed that your machine ID is the same as mine, 406. Even thought I have a iMac. Wonder what that means..

My copy of iTunes2 is one of those (older?) Carracho copies, and it's version v2.0f13. Is it the same as the "official" copy?

I also noted that iTunes2 seem to use more cpu cycles than the original iTunes under X.1. (I truly think that Apple should try to make it less cpu intensive. It's for sure possible!) But the sound is better thought..

Sniffer gone old-school sig

GnOm
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 3, 2001, 07:15 PM

Originally posted by sniffer:
<STRONG>

Hmm.. Just noticed that your machine ID is the same as mine, 406. Even thought I have a iMac. Wonder what that means..
</STRONG>

AFAIR every NewWorld ROM machine has the same ID.

bye.

egaston
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2001, 07:22 PM

For those that had a problem, do you meet all the following criteria?

1. Did not delete iTunes 1.1
2. Had multiple volumes
3. Had similarly named volumes with spaces in their names

Any replies could help determine if this is, indeed, the cause of the problem.

All the above applies to me and one partition got erased ( it may be three but the other to were empty )

1. did not erase iTunes 1.1
2. yes eight in total (2 HD's)
3. data, data 3, data 4

eric

Amorya
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2001, 07:24 PM

I have iTunes 2, the official one, and it just says version 2.0... where do I find the specific version number? Or is that only in the unofficial builds?

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

chwild
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2001, 07:42 PM

Seems I was Lucky.
I installed iTunes 2 Today at 18:00 CET. G4 AGP Graphics, 2 HDs with 5 Partitions ("Arthur" -&gt;OS9, "Zaphod" -&gt; OSX, "Trillian" -&gt; Apps, "Ford" and "M"edia -&gt; Data). No data loss or permission problems until now (00:39 CET).
Funny thing was that I had to install twice. First time only iTunes 1.1 was removed. No iTunes on the Zaphod Volume. Started the installer once again and got a flawless install.

chris

John B. Smith
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 3, 2001, 07:45 PM

my problem was that iTunes would burn CD's that were of incredibly poor quality.. I had the same problem with all the CD's i tried

sniffer
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2001, 07:51 PM

Originally posted by Amorya:
<STRONG>I have iTunes 2, the official one, and it just says version 2.0... where do I find the specific version number? Or is that only in the unofficial builds?

Amorya</STRONG>
The file I downloaded from Carracho is named "iTunes 2 (X and 9).dmg", and I have seen it on at least two Carracho servers. I downloaded it from a Swedish server, called something like Onkel Crackel.. I am not sure, but it had a funny swedish name.
I guess it's one unofficial build. It works, so I can live with it for now. But, as I have stated in an earlier post, it uses some cpu cycles. I think it's at average 19-25% in Top.

Sniffer gone old-school sig

t_hah  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2001, 08:10 PM

Here is an update:

I called Apple Support line.
After a couple of transferrs I got to speak to a lady who seemed to know some about this issue. But she did not seem to want to inform me about it. That is kind of understandable.

I told her what happened. She asked me to tell her what the order of my partitions was. She also asked if I had spaces in the names of my hard drives.
I guess they are investigating the issue, because this is exactly what moi was mentioning too.

She told me that I should call some data recovery comany. She did not mention if that is something Apple would pay for. She said that it would be very expensive probably, so I am assuming she wanted it to sound like I have to pay for it. That would be bad....I have payed about 80 bucks online last night for DiskWarrior...now I have to pay even more for some comapny...and I will be without my work computer.

She said that any app could damage the drive when installing. I told her that I agreed, but this app came from Apple. I do know that it is my fault for not backing up data, but first of all: what if I just bought the computer, what if I cannot get a backup software, media right now. She can't blame iTunes 2 erasing my partition on me.

Does this mean that if I want to upgrade to iTunes 2 I have to buy a CD burner, some other backing media just to install iTunes....on my Powerbook G4?

This answer just did not satisfy me enough.

The lady was very nice throughout the whole time though. I am not picking on her.

She asked some more details on my drive, made me start up from the OS 10.1 CD, and made me launch the Disk Utility. She asked for some more details on my set up....mainly on hard drive partition arrangement.

Then she told me that Apple will probably contact me w/in 24-48 hours.

This situation is really not good. I am alwasy careful when installing Microsoft products...I do not even get a new version of their app, till I really need it, but with Apple...?
I can imagine something like the new iTunes2 app getting installed on the wrong partition, and I wouldn't be able to locate it...or it would corrupt, my mp3 files on the same partition I am installing it on....but why did it mess up my drive, with all my data? iTunes wasn't even on that drive, or my system....only my data files...that's why I called that drive Backup

This is sad.

Lot of work is gone. Websites I built, project files of mine for work. Everything.

And all Apple can say is this?

I hope that will get something figured out, and try to help us out, who lost their disks.

They have to act fast, because many of us cannot sit at home with a complately wiped drive...we need some solution.

t

[ 11-03-2001: Message edited by: t_hah ]

Zoro
Nov 3, 2001, 08:11 PM

Originally posted by griffman:
<STRONG>

# if iTunes application currently exists, delete it
if [ -e $2Applications/iTunes.app ] ; then
rm -rf $2Applications/iTunes.app 2&lt; /dev/null
fi

(...)

</STRONG>
This may have happened even if iTune had been deleted !
look at the VolumeCheck script:

#!/bin/sh

# if current iTunes pkg exists, delete it b/c of Installer bug
if [ -e $1Library/Receipts/iTunes.pkg ] ; then
rm -rf $1Library/Receipts/iTunes.pkg 2&gt; /dev/null
fi

# return do nothing status to Installer
exit 0

So it seems that if you have updated your itunes once (to eg 1.1.1 in may), you might be in the same kind of trouble.....

I'm not sure, but I think this script is 2 double quotes away from not making any damage
(with rm -rf "$1Library/Receipts/iTunes.pkg" 2&gt; /dev/null)

nibs
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2001, 08:20 PM

X Cal:
What I dont understand is why they can't just post it as a "copy" install like Omniweb instead of using this rather dodgy Installer.

Callum

it installs itunes, an ipod driver, and updates the private disc recording framework. it needs privileges to install the driver and the framework, and it's installing multiple items.

Zoro
Nov 3, 2001, 08:24 PM

Originally posted by Zoro:
<STRONG>

I'm not sure, but I think this script is 2 double quotes away from not making any damage
(with rm -rf "$1Library/Receipts/iTunes.pkg" 2&gt; /dev/null)</STRONG>
And indeed in the IE5 security update package preflight script are these lines:

/bin/rm -f "/Applications/Internet Explorer/EULA.rtf"
/bin/rm -rf "/Applications/Internet Explorer/Internet Explorer.app"
/bin/rm -rf "/Applications/Internet Explorer/Documentation - Read Me"

t_hah  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2001, 08:26 PM

Originally posted by supernature:
<STRONG>thanx... will post anything if anything happens or I find out something. Otherwise, to me, it sounds like the files are definitely hosed, and you'll need some kind of disk utility to retrieve it... i don't know what, but if there's a will there's a way...

excuse the cheese.</STRONG>
Thanks Supernature,

I do have hope, because I really need that. I am not a computer expert...and Apple's installers have to be easy enough to use. We are talking about Apple, right? The user-friendliest computer, right? This is not Microsoft. If this was Microsoft, I would now that i am really in bad shape, but Apple? They are bright. They need to know what is going on wand how to retrieve my data, without me paying a fortune...

t

iHolger uMax
Nov 3, 2001, 08:50 PM

I installed a early version of iTunes from Hotline and it wiped 5 partitions for me. I did not write about it because I thought I have had the bad luck to come across a "hacked" installer. Downloded the final version today and to my great dissapointment this installer from Apple�s servers did the same thing. I have written to Apple about it and hope they will give some type of response.

My system

G4 450MP
Mac OS X 5L14
2 x ATA Drives
1 x Ultra 160 SCSI drive on a Adaptec 29160 card
1 x Zipdrive on ATA bus

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2001, 08:54 PM

t_hah

This is super important: how long did you let Data Rescue run? I lost a 40G drive due to the 9.2.1 Drive Setup bug back in August (before it was known what the problem was) and it took 8 hours to fully scan and find the files.

Of course, that problem was due to the partition map being wiped out. Hard drive recovery places charge an arm and a leg so I consider them a last effort. I'd try one of the suggestions above first.

Reg
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

t_hah  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2001, 08:57 PM

Please people....STOP installing iTunes 2 for OS X till Apple comes out with some fix. This is critical! I do not think that you guys can afford loosing data.

If you read this thread, you can see that there is something going on. Do not take chances. Wait instead. Apple will definitely fix this "BUG" in the installer...
Do not risk your data!

Apple we are waiting for a solution!

t_hah  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2001, 09:04 PM

Data Rescue ran, till it stopped on its own. I am not really familiar with that software, but I guess I can try to run it again, and see what happens. I need every little clue, advice you guys can give me.

Thanks

t

simonjames
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2001, 09:15 PM

I tried installing it and was greeted with some sort of error during installation - please try again..... I tried again and again - downloaded again - installed again and again - same error - good on you Apple

Fortunately it doesn't look as though I have lost any files.
this sig intentionally left blank

Majuki
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2001, 09:19 PM

I downloaded the OS X installer this morning through Apple's site and installed it on my PB G3 (one partition). Everything went smoothly.

mactropolis
Senior User
Nov 3, 2001, 09:31 PM

I feel so sorrie for all of those who have lost your data with the iTunes 2 upgrade. I can't begin to image how bad it would be if i discovered that my disks had been whiped. I would be sooo pissed. Apple can't be making silly mistakes like this, especially with the faithfull, loyal Mac community.

Apple, please, nothing like this again.
Death To Extremists!

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2001, 09:50 PM

Reposted from another thread:

quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by moki:

2. Had multiple volumes
3. Had similarly named volumes with spaces in their names

------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. I deleted the app and the alias from the dock
2. I have 2 drives:
1 ATA: 2 partitions, 1 OS 9.2.1 and 1 OS 10.1
1 SCSI: 2 partitions, 1 misc. files and 1 scratch
3. Max 9, Max X and untitled, untitled 2

Just prior to install, I made a copy of iTunes folder in Documents as backup on SCSI partition. I followed all insructions, and everything went fine. I wondered why "optomizing system" took so long. Both SCSI partitions were erased. I had a few safety-net things on each (I haven't been doing much Photoshop lately), but nothing too important.
These files do NOT show up after logging in as root (OS X) or under OS 9.2.1. Get Info shows 0 items, all space available.
I feel fortunate that I didn't lose anything crucial, but am disappointed in my loss none the less. Moreso, I am disappointed in the sheer stupidity of this situation. How can Apple regain my (our) confidence?

Cliff

Mac Write
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2001, 10:00 PM

First off I was lucky and it didn't happen to me. I installed it Friday night the second I heard about it being on Apple.com.

This reminds me of what happened back in March to me.

Background: I had the orginal 6GB partitioned to 4/2GB

March 9. Friday night. I selected my OS 9 Partiton from system prefs (this was Public Beta), and then rebooted. BOOM I got the "?" of death. I heard this clicking sound coming from my HD. I powered off and powered on. This normally solves this problem.

Still "?" of death. I zap the PRAM still no go. I then wip out my Classic Mac OS boot disk.boot from it, and ge the dreaded "Can't read drive initailize?" screen. I hit cancel,but don't get it again for myMac OS X partition. it mounted. This of course was no use to me, since all my data (which I would pay any cost to get back ) was on my other partition.

By this point I am close to a full scale panic attack/REAL heart attack. I shut down. then after watching some TV for awhile I go to bed.

Lying in bed I had an Idea. Since the Mac OS X partition was fine, I tried booting from the OS X Boot disk and low and behold my other partition showed up. So I reinstalled Mac OS X, and BOOM all my Data was there.

I challanged my computer and won.

This then happened 4 more times in starting on March 25 with 10.0. a fewpf the other 4 times were a bit more challanging. but all times I recovered my data.

Oh Sat March 10, I was @Simply Computing @opening time ready to by a CDRW @any cost. (like $600). The one I thought they have (Yamaha 16x10x40) was the SCSI not Firewire. it wasn't until April 6, that I got my CDRW.

Then @ the end of July I got a 60GB and have filled up 25GB of it 10GB in MP3's I ripped from my entire CD collection ( I don't ever download since that is wrong and now the pentaity for people downloading and saying it was right is the CD Copy protection.) 10GB in Steve Jobs Keynotes, and other Apple Commercials etc.

Then 5GB in perosnal files.

I was waiting for 10.1 for long file name support so that I could backup all this data (still haven't done it yet).
Get busy living or get busy dying
--Stephen King

benh57
Senior User
Nov 3, 2001, 10:06 PM

Originally posted by Dan Szwarc:
<STRONG>That's it. I just deleted iTunes2 and trashed the installer. I am NOT taking any chances.</STRONG>
Now that just means you will have to risk running their installer again!

Once its installed, it is fine.

-B
Dual 800 - GF3 - 1.5GB

supernature
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2001, 10:07 PM

From reading the various problems people had, it doesn't seem to be directly because of spaces in the volume names, and certainly doesn't have to do with anything about similar volume names.

So, what about these combinations:

1. Is OS X the first partition, a middle partition or the last partition of the hard drive?

2. Did you install iTunes by running the installer directly from the virtual mounted drive, or did you copy the installer on to the hard drive first then ran it from there?

Well, from what I follow, though I could be wrong, it sounds like that the disk is being erased before iTunes gets installed. It definitely sounds like it's at the beginning of the Installer process.

That's all I can think of. FYI, I installed it fine without a hitch though, and my OS X is the first partition on my HD. I have no similar volume names, but I do have spaces in my volume names. And of course running OS X 10.1.1, a later version of the OS than most people have.

benh57
Senior User
Nov 3, 2001, 10:17 PM

Originally posted by X Cal:
<STRONG>What I dont understand is why they can't just post it as a "copy" install like Omniweb instead of using this rather dodgy Installer.

Callum</STRONG>
The installer is not Dodgy. The apple installer/package system is actually quite well done.

However you can have it execute scripts that you define.. and human error comes in there.

The reason it needs the installer is because it is installing new system frameworks (DiscBurning) and getting rid of your old iTunes.

-Ben
Dual 800 - GF3 - 1.5GB

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2001, 10:54 PM

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you guys...

I have verified that it is possible to safely install iTunes with a program I wrote, Pacifist. Pacifist does not run any of the install scripts, and thus it should not cause any damage to your partitions. However, as this program is unfinished and currently of beta quality at best, it has a few bugs and quite a few missing features, and if you download it and use it, you accept the risks. I am not responsible for any damage caused by Pacifist. With that said, it seems to be safer than the iTunes installer. It's not quite as easy to use, however, because of a caveat: iTunes has a resource fork, and pax (the format .pkg installers' files are stored in) does not support resource forks. Therefore, Apple has encoded the resource fork and other Mac metadata in AppleDouble format, the same format that it uses to encode resource data on a UFS disk. The problem? I had no idea it did that, so Pacifist does not decode the resource data from the AppleDouble information (which I now need to figure out how to do so I can add this to a future version of Pacifist!).

However, there is a quick and easy six-step solution to having a working iTunes using Pacifist:

1. Open iTunes.pkg with Pacifist.

2. Click on the folder "System" and choose "Extract Files..." from the File menu. Enter your password, and Pacifist will install the system files in the appropriate places. You may want to back up your existing DiscRecording.framework before doing this.

3. Click on the folder named "Applications" and choose "Extract To..." from the File menu. Choose the Desktop. After Pacifist finishes extracting, a folder named "Applications" should appear on the Desktop.

4. Create a disk image formatted to UFS (UNIX File System) format with Disk Utility. The image should be at least about 9 MB in size.

5. Move the Applications folder on your desktop into the UFS disk image. Either mv or dragging from the Finder should work.

6. Open the Applications folder on the disk image, and drag the iTunes icon from there to your hard drive's Applications folder. Reboot, and you should have a working iTunes!

If you lose the ability to burn CD's after following these steps, it may help to delete the file Extensions.mkext inside the /System/Library folder (careful when doing this!).

Sorry the procedure is such a hassle. Hopefully in a future version, Pacifist will be able to join resource forks, and then this hack will be unnecessary. Until then, though, this should work. Again, I am not responsible for any damage that Pacifist causes to your system.

Here's the link for Pacifist. This is an unfinished piece of software that will expire on January 1, 2002. Download at your own risk.
http://homepage.mac.com/csrstka/Pacifist.sit

[edit: mistyped the link]

[ 11-03-2001: Message edited by: CharlesS ]

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2001, 11:11 PM

Wow, I installed iTunes on 10.1 this morning.
I was on 9.2.1, downloaded the file and unstuffed it.
Dragged the .smi file to the desktop folder in my user folder on 10.1 partition.
Rebooted into 10.1 and dubbl-clikked on the .smi file.
Had to type in my admin password.
No problems, no lost data.
I am not going to dump iTunes 2, sounds like the problem is the installer, not the app.

ID=0 ATA drive - 46 GB, 4 partitions: NeoCeph 9, work, Applics, MP3's
ID=1 ATA drive - 60 GB, 4 partitions: nine-point-one, OS X, PS Scratch, images

I installed iTunes2 right over the top of iTunes.

Ben Thompson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2001, 11:13 PM

I am very sorry that this is the case, but here is my rundown on the actual damage that this install script can cause and when it can happen... whether or not this is the cause of the problem is unknown!

This actually won't erase your drive in the case where you have your drives named:
MyDrive 1
MyDrive 2
MyDrive 3

This can only cause a problem for the following case:
MyDrive 1 &lt;-- the drive in which iTunes was installed on
MyDrive

The reason the second case works and not the first is because the name of the disk in the second case is completely resolved when the script unintentionally calls rm -rf /Volumes/MyDrive 1/Applications/iTunes.app

The other thing you have to notice here is the if[ -e ... ] ; then
This statement checks that the file exists before trying to delete it. Again, unless you have your drives named such as example 2, you won't have any problems.

The last thing to concider is the fact that 90% of the people install iTunes on the Mac OS X boot partition... therefore you will not have the /Volumes/MyDrive 1 in the path! In most cases the script will resolve the iTunes application at /Applications/iTunes.app

Conclusion...

This isn't your moma's mac anymore... it is a full-blown UNIX operating system with all its features and glitches/bugs (also often called features). Shell scripts are very nice and can be very powerful... but any shell script that has root authority that calls a rm -rf (aka force remove recursively) should be tested throughly before ever being distributed (as in the case here)!

-Ben Thompson

Originally posted by griffman:
<STRONG># if iTunes application currently exists, delete it
if [ -e $2Applications/iTunes.app ] ; then
rm -rf $2Applications/iTunes.app 2&lt; /dev/null
fi

rm -rf /Volumes/Disk 1/Applications/iTunes.app 2&lt; /dev/null</STRONG>

absmiths
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2001, 11:37 PM

Two disks, on with 1 partition and one with 5 partitions, did not delete iTunes prior to downloading, and no spaces in any volume names. Thankfully, no data loss. Apple would seem to have a high liability in this case, although the fact that the readme specifically instructs you to delete the previous version is probably a sticking point, considering that the license agreement more than likely stipulates that you fully follow the instructions. Still, for the sake of PR, it would be better if Apple fixed this for you.

As has been said before, losing 6 months worth of work is really an indication that you don't back up often enough (to some reliable media - obviously a second partition would not count as a reliable backup for exactly this reason).

BTW, DO NOT USE THE ERASED PARTITION FOR ANYTHING! I would unmount it permanently. Any data that gets written there (Finder stuff or otherwise), will permenantly destroy otherwise recoverable data. The data is still on the platter, but once a block has been overwritten it is gone (unless you are NSA).

[ 11-03-2001: Message edited by: absmiths ]

benh57
Senior User
Nov 4, 2001, 12:20 AM

Originally posted by absmiths:
<STRONG> Apple would seem to have a high liability in this case</STRONG>
Apple has Zero liability. There is no legal recourse for those who lost data. Sorry. EULA = Apple has zero liability for anything their software does to your system. "No Warranty, Expressed or Implied" means just that.

The only area where apple might have liability is if the HARDWARE blows up and injures you - under Product Safety laws. That's why they made a big deal out of the 5300 issues and the power adapter issue.

-Ben
Dual 800 - GF3 - 1.5GB

Colin Ng
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2001, 01:01 AM

I'm sorry to hear about what happened to some of our hard drives.

I really hope that Apple will find a solution for data recovery, so please, don't panic!

Apple's done an excellent job with Mac OS X. In order for our favorite OS to improve, I think it might be a good time for us to let Apple know (nicely) that it should listen to its developers and users just a wee bit more, that is, if the following is of any relevance:

Scott Anguish from Stepwise.com had been expressing his caution about technical issues with Installer.app since October 1999, in his article "Beware of Installers bearing packages" at
http://www.stepwise.com/Articles/Tec...allerWoes.html

He wrote letters at least three times, suggesting alternatives archivers so outstanding issues could be completely avoided, but they just would not budge. If Apple catches up on this, we might be able to get rid of this problem once and for all!

--
Colin

Colin Ng
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2001, 01:06 AM

Oops! Just read griffman's explanation. Please ignore my previous post.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Nov 4, 2001, 02:05 AM

Can someone post the iTunes 2 app, so that others don't have to run the installer and possibly risk their hard drives for it?

oxonian
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2001, 02:12 AM

my advice:
don't do ANYTHING to the affected partitions for now. Don't even run data recovery software. If possible, switch to another computer and shut down the affected mac.
The reason is that your data is still there - but it can be overwritten by almost any kind of activity. Basically what has been erased is the lookup table that keeps track of where the files are located on the disk. But the actual 0's and 1's of the files are still there *until* the space get reused. (This is why you need a special program to securely erase secret files - those programs go to the trouble of actually writing over the file itself, whereas 'normal' delete operations do not).
It seems that what has happened is that Apple's installer script incorrectly used an "rm" command (the UNIX remove file command). If this is the case it's a straightforward (although tricky) problem, and people on forums like this one will soon reach a consensus about the best way to set about recovering your data. Until a clear consensus is reached, don't do anything. *In particular, **Don't just run every data recovery tool you can get your hands on** -they will all try to do there own 'thing' and probably mess up those lost files. Wait till someone works out which is the right approach to the problem.

GK
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 4, 2001, 02:13 AM

dude,

the new, safe version 2.0.1 has just been released. I just installed it and no problems whatsoever. The problems came up only in 2.0
Go to www.apple.com/itunes/download, and start the download.

Forum Links
Forum Rules