Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook Sound keeps cutting out.

Macbook Sound keeps cutting out.
theokandroid
Forum Regular
Mar 4, 2007, 10:38 AM

Here's a weird situation. So Ive had my macbook for about 4 months now and it's been great. But a problem just popped up. I have a pair of JBL Spot speakers that are usually plugged in. So Im listening to my music and all of a sudden the sound starts going out, like clipping the music off and on, off and on, as though someone is hitting the mute button over and over. I figure maybe it's the speakers and sure enough it stops. It doesn't do it when there's headphones in there, or when the internal speakers are playing, although honestly I haven't really used it long enough to know for sure. But then I plugged the speakers back in and when it started clicking on and off again i decided to mess with the volume and when I press volume up or volume down it shows the speaker with the volume level below it, but when it was muting on and off it would show a little circle with the slash through it, like the non smoking sign, as if the sound card was malfunctioning. Please help guys it's annoying as hell.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 4, 2007, 06:16 PM

Have you tried the speakers on anything else? An iPod or something?
You ought to try hard to replicate it with the internal speakers or headphones. If you can, its probably either software or logic board fault. To eliminate software you need to boot from another volume and try to recreate the issue.

theokandroid  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 5, 2007, 12:06 AM

Crikey. I have tried it with my speakers and it doesn't seem to be it. It only seems to be the macbook speaker combination. And it's not just iTunes. VLC player did it too.

macuser00
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 5, 2007, 11:03 AM

Just some suggestions:

Since you said it didn't happen when you plugged in headphones instead then the problem is not the macbook. Just in case though,try different speakers with your macbook for a while. If it stops, then you will know that it is most likely those particular speakers. Make sure all plugs are plugged in correctly and securely in the back of the speakers as well as on the computer. Try eliminating all possible interferenes such as magnets and other computer wires touching speaker wires.
Macbook 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo, 2 GB RAM, 20-inch display, 60GB white iPod video

theokandroid  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 5, 2007, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by macuser00 View Post
Just some suggestions:

Since you said it didn't happen when you plugged in headphones instead then the problem is not the macbook. Just in case though,try different speakers with your macbook for a while. If it stops, then you will know that it is most likely those particular speakers. Make sure all plugs are plugged in correctly and securely in the back of the speakers as well as on the computer. Try eliminating all possible interferenes such as magnets and other computer wires touching speaker wires.
The weird thing is that when I used the speakers on my iPod they worked fine for about 2 hours, so its kind of a combination of both a Macbook and the speakers. But ill try using the macbook on my tv tonight.

theokandroid  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 6, 2007, 11:03 PM

I read something about this being a voltage problem. Especially when the speakers haven't been used in a while, so when they suddenly start back up they start to cut out, odd thing is I havent had this problem for 3 months, when i first bought the macbook and now it's starting all of a sudden. Does anyone know a fix or if Apple would be willing to fix it. It's the most annoying thing in the world.

theokandroid  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 8, 2007, 04:18 PM

I think I figured it out, it only seems to happen when i plug in my external HD. Anyone know how I could fix it?

theokandroid  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 8, 2007, 05:05 PM

Oh great now it's doing it on the internal speakers. But I cant get it fixed unless i can duplicate it, but it just does it randomly.

Chaoticjoe
Mar 8, 2007, 05:37 PM

Maybe it's your sound card. I dunno.
Hey...

theokandroid  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 9, 2007, 01:21 PM

okay it seems to be solved. I called up Apple Tech Support, should have done that in the first place, and told them my situation, he told me to hold 'apple + option + p + r" while powering on and it seems to have worked, hasn't done it yet and its been about a day so I shoul dbe in the clear.

escaffe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 2, 2007, 07:42 PM

i am also experiencing the same problem.

did that solution by the apple tech staff solve your problem?

Chaoticjoe
Apr 2, 2007, 07:43 PM

This topic was so long ago man. Make a new topic for your problem. Jeez.
Hey...

Forum Links
Forum Rules