Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Have a good lecture

Have a good lecture
Veronica
Forum Regular
Apr 18, 2005, 12:24 AM

This one made my day!

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Apr 18, 2005, 12:43 AM

I wonder if it was staged? Funny stuff.

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2005, 12:52 AM

Man, my history classes would be more fun in song, thats for sure.

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Apr 18, 2005, 06:32 PM

snort

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 18, 2005, 06:36 PM

funny stuff, what an attention whore.

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2005, 07:13 AM

It might be funnier if it wasn't totally planned. How many cameras were there? 2? 3?

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Mithras
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2005, 10:07 AM

Hey that's at Columbia U! Makes sense that budding Broadway stars would be at college in New York, I guess... it was very cute, and the prof was good-natured about it.

I wonder if it was just a prank for prank's sake, or if there's a ritual that, say, the spring musical always plants itself into one class?

fromthecloud
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 19, 2005, 07:15 PM

chown -R us:us yourbase

Dissent is not un-American.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2005, 12:02 AM

I rather liked this one...

Truth

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2005, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by Mithras
Hey that's at Columbia U! Makes sense that budding Broadway stars would be at college in New York, I guess... it was very cute, and the prof was good-natured about it.

I wonder if it was just a prank for prank's sake, or if there's a ritual that, say, the spring musical always plants itself into one class?
Hey that's my school! I've been in the classroom before, I think it's in Havemeyer...

My friend has that prof, he always complains about the "incident."

Check out the Subway Lecture series too, those are great.

Even better is when a bunch of CU kids go on an NYU tour... this one was taken down at the request of NYU admissions but what the hell....

NYU Campus Tour

Prangstgr�p is kind of dead. All of those kids except one have graduated. It's not a tradition.

However, the night before the organic chemistry exam each semester we have "orgo night" where the Marching Band takes over the main reading room in the library, plays music, and cracks Barnard and CU administration jokes. Then they tour campus, stopping at Barnard Quad where the residents throw their notes out the window at them, and at Wien where they have eggs thrown at them, etc. It always makes for an entertaining night.
( Last edited by maxintosh; Apr 20, 2005 at 12:35 AM. )

Albert Pujols
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2005, 12:34 AM

What a bunch of nerds

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2005, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by Albert Pujols
What a bunch of nerds
That's us!!

Demonhood
Administrator
Apr 20, 2005, 12:32 PM

amusing.
we had one at my school where a frat ran onto stage and around the room naked (sometimes with socks or masks on) during the midterm for human sexuality.

you know, in case anyone needed a real life anatomy example.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2005, 04:53 PM

maxintosh, you have any classes canceled due to the strike?
I'm a Columbia grad student, but my office is off-campus, so the strike is kind of peripheral to me. I think the teaching assistants should be able to have a union if they want one, though.

anyway, not to drag us OT.

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2005, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mithras
maxintosh, you have any classes canceled due to the strike?
I'm a Columbia grad student, but my office is off-campus, so the strike is kind of peripheral to me. I think the teaching assistants should be able to have a union if they want one, though.

anyway, not to drag us OT.
No one of my grad student teachers is against the strike and the other is holding class anyway.

I think I'm the only liberal on campus against the strike. I support unions in general, I think they are most useful for labor and unskilled jobs. They originally were designed to protect workers against unsafe working conditions. But in this case, the students signed a contract describing their job and pay, have plenty of other options re: schooling, and will likely soon enter into high-paying jobs. The fact that they are acting surprised that graduate education is expensive is striking to me when it is plainly laid out in front of them. Most of them work ~4-6 hours per week teaching one class, and do a half-ass or apathetic job at it. And they get paid $15,000 a year--to go to school, research with prestigious academics, and get a masters/doctorate from an Ivy League school. Hey, not a terrible deal!

CU's compensation is above average and may be even higher than NYU post-unionization next year. Plus their medical coverage and housing availability remains superior.

What really pisses me off is that their strike completely screws the undergrads, who are not getting paid to earn their degree, but *paying* 40,000 a year only to have their teachers go on strike. Who gets the short end of the stick there?

My anti-union grad student friends have received threatening phone calls and been harassed at bars and restaurants. What kind of messed-up crap is that!?

I'm sorry but I side with the university on this one. Generally I hate CU's administration, but in this case, I think the grad students are being selfish twits.
( Last edited by maxintosh; Apr 20, 2005 at 11:03 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules