Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Layer to Grayscale

Layer to Grayscale
fromthecloud
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 7, 2005, 11:24 AM

This is probably very simple, but I can't see how to do it...

How do you convert an individual layer in Photoshop CS to grayscale. I don't want the whole image to be grayscale, just a single layer.

Thanks.
chown -R us:us yourbase

Dissent is not un-American.

th3ph17
Jun 7, 2005, 11:59 AM

image>adjustments>desaturate

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2005, 10:51 PM

maybe old school, but I generally adjust the photo in grayscale in a sep file until I am happy with it and the drag it in as a sep. layer in my Color file.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2005, 11:12 PM

Add an adjustment layer above the layer you want to be grayscale. Set the adjustment layer to desaturate. Then put the cursor between the two layers and hold the option key down. Click. You'll see the adjustment layer indent and have a small arrow pointing down to the layer below. At this point, the adjustment layer will only affect the layer below it--the one you wanted to be grayscale.

Read Photoshop help. Search for "Creating clipping masks". I know it doesn't sound right, but it is.
Chris

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2005, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by chabig
Add an adjustment layer above the layer you want to be grayscale. Set the adjustment layer to desaturate. Then put the cursor between the two layers and hold the option key down. Click. You'll see the adjustment layer indent and have a small arrow pointing down to the layer below. At this point, the adjustment layer will only affect the layer below it--the one you wanted to be grayscale.

Read Photoshop help. Search for "Creating clipping masks". I know it doesn't sound right, but it is.
Chris
I tried it- but it really doesn't look graycale- it's pretty brown and ugly.

d.fine
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2005, 10:07 AM

I don't think you could have a grayscale layer in a color coded document. I also edit the layer in a separate ducument, and then transfer it back, like KeriVit. The document is either Grayscale/RGB/CMYK, but not layers with different profiles.

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2005, 10:21 AM

If you do it right, it works very well exactly as I described. I've done it. Perhaps my instructions weren't very clear. I don't have to describe it again right now. I'll come back to you.

Chris

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2005, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by d.fine
I don't think you could have a grayscale layer in a color coded document. I also edit the layer in a separate ducument, and then transfer it back, like KeriVit. The document is either Grayscale/RGB/CMYK, but not layers with different profiles.
Are you suggesting that color documents can't use black and shades of black? Sure they can.

th3ph17
Jun 10, 2005, 12:38 PM

The adjustment layer route works just fine, create a hue/sat adjustment layer [in versions of photoshop that have adjustment layers] and then drag the saturation slider all the way to the left. If the image looks funky...brown, sepia, blue, whatever, click the "Colorize" checkbox that is just above the preview box down in the right corner of the hue/sat window.

I would also probably use a levels or curves adjustment layer as well to get the contrast where I wanted it to be.

also, note that desaturate may work differently if you are in a CMYK document vs. an RGB document.
( Last edited by th3ph17; Jun 10, 2005 at 12:44 PM. Reason: additonal info)

EnVoy
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 10, 2005, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by chabig
Are you suggesting that color documents can't use black and shades of black? Sure they can.

No, he's saying an image cannot have more than one mode. If your image mode is RGB it cannot have one "part (read layer)" be CMYK, Greyscale, etc.....

Duplicate your image using the Image/Duplicate command. Delete all layers except for the one you want, flatten the image, convert it to Greyscale. Drage the result, holding down shift, back to your original image. It will pop back in place as a layer.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2005, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by EnVoy
No, he's saying an image cannot have more than one mode. If your image mode is RGB it cannot have one "part (read layer)" be CMYK, Greyscale, etc.....

Duplicate your image using the Image/Duplicate command. Delete all layers except for the one you want, flatten the image, convert it to Greyscale. Drage the result, holding down shift, back to your original image. It will pop back in place as a layer.
I still like the results and ease of this method better than the desaturation...

jersey
Senior User
Jun 10, 2005, 04:48 PM

I would recommend moving the layer to a separate rgb file, but would use a channel mix on it. you'll get a better tonal gradation that way.

but as usual....it can be done 10 ways, none of which are necessarily wrong.

digital_dreamer
Jun 18, 2005, 03:25 PM

The Channel Mixer is the most flexible solution.
Select Monochrome button and give equal amounts to each RGB channel. Then, adjust for taste.

This is a great technique for color art that doesn't convert well to grayscale with distinguishable detail because of even tones of color in each channel.

regards,
MAJ

quietjim
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 18, 2005, 03:44 PM

I use the channel mixer method to create grayscale images. One minor note: the default in PS CS when you click on monochrome is for 100% red; I get better results by mixing in some of the other channels.
Timex Sinclair . IIe > SE > 6100 >
520c > Pismo > PB 15.2 > MacBook Pro 15.2 2.5 GHz

Forum Links
Forum Rules