Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Can't delete invisible items with a dot

Can't delete invisible items with a dot
osxrules
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 14, 2004, 09:46 PM

I have a program that puts some stuff in a folder that starts with a dot and is therefore invisible. I decided to delete this invisible folder alone so I moved it to the trash after showing invisibles in the Finder.

However, rather than making the invisible files visible in the trash, Mac OS X just doesn't register anything in the trash and it doesn't give me my space back because I can't empty trash. The stuff hasn't been deleted because I can see it in my trash folder.

I know ways to make it delete - rename the folder, use the terminal or move a visible item to trash to allow emptying trash and possibly a couple of others but I just think that the trash not registering invisible items is a bit of a design flaw.

The Oracle
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Mt. Ararat, chillin' with Noah in the Ark's broken hull.
Dec 14, 2004, 10:30 PM

how about getting rid of the period to make it visible then trashing it?

All-seeing and all-knowing since 2000 B.C.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 14, 2004, 10:44 PM

What do you want me to do about it?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

osxrules  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 15, 2004, 01:45 PM

Originally posted by Chuckit:
What do you want me to do about it?
Exactly my point. You can't do anything about it but it's wrong I tell you, wrong. Imagine you had a whole bunch of files beginning with a dot. You'd have to rename them all to get them to show in trash. All I'm saying is that even if the trash doesn't make them visible, it should at least show the icon meaning there's stuff in it and allow you to empty it.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 15, 2004, 03:30 PM

From the sound of it, you are using unsupported features and encountered a bug. It doesn't seem all that surprising to me. It is not possible, in normal Finder operation, to have files that begin with dots, much less move them to the Trash. Invisible folders have to be dealt with through the Terminal, where you can just rm -rf them.

If working with folders that begin with dots is really so important to you on a daily basis, send feedback to Apple and tell them you need proper support for invisible files in the Finder, including a way to delete them.
Chuck
___

osxrules  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 15, 2004, 05:28 PM

From the sound of it, you are using unsupported features and encountered a bug. It doesn't seem all that surprising to me. It is not possible, in normal Finder operation, to have files that begin with dots, much less move them to the Trash. Invisible folders have to be dealt with through the Terminal, where you can just rm -rf them.

If working with folders that begin with dots is really so important to you on a daily basis, send feedback to Apple and tell them you need proper support for invisible files in the Finder, including a way to delete them.
I was using a filesharing app that puts files inside a folder beginning with a dot and I wanted to delete that folder as it used tons of space. You're right that normal Finder operations don't allow names with dots at the start so you're totally right to say that it's not a huge problem because I can use the terminal but I don't always want to because it's harder to see file hierarchies that way.

It's just that I'm finding Apple's finder to be inadequate that I often have to use apps like Path Finder, XRay etc. in order to get the functionality I need (to avoid the terminal I mean). I know Apple are trying to shield n00bs from the power of OS X but including more options in the standard apps for the rest of us wouldn't go amiss.

It looks like there are currently two options: be a unix geek or be an Apple n00b. Opinions may differ but I feel there needs to be more in between.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 15, 2004, 05:32 PM

PathFinder exists for those who want more pro features than Apple wants to put in Finder. Since you know about it, it sounds like you've solved your own problem.
Chuck
___

osxrules  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 17, 2004, 05:40 PM

PathFinder exists for those who want more pro features than Apple wants to put in Finder. Since you know about it, it sounds like you've solved your own problem.
Maybe, but Path Finder's pretty crummy. It takes about a day to launch the app and it doesn't like when devices/disk images are mounted and removed by the Finder. It runs slow too and it's not free.

You've also got my point exactly. Apple constantly avoid putting pro features into their software despite them targeting industry pros. That makes no sense to me whatsoever. Another example is the one-button mouse. Someone actually said to me that my laptop looks as if it's for someone with special needs and to be honest, I'm beginning to agree. I even HAD to buy a M$ mouse because Apple don't give the option of a 3-button one.

I understand that n00bs use OS X too but I wish there was even a little magic button somewhere that said turn on all pro features. I just want options. As they say: "everything begins with choice".

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 17, 2004, 05:47 PM

Why is it Apple's responsibility to put pro features into their apps and mice and whatever-else that already exist in other people's? I don't get this attitude that Apple should do everything. Should third parties not exist?
Chuck
___

bma_mat99
Forum Regular
Dec 21, 2004, 12:42 AM

im a kid, so correct me if im wrong, but these last days i was playing with the terminal, and would it not be much easier just to erase those anoying hidden files, and work with them through the terminal? I find this approach to be quite easy, just typing rm (and the file), u easily delete it, invisible or not, and if you wana spot the riles, just press ls -a (i believe) and just do the "rm" thing on all the files, for example "rm a b c d e f g", "a b c d e f g" all being different invisible files.

hope this helps.

Detrius
Professional Poster
Dec 25, 2004, 04:47 PM

Originally posted by osxrules:
I have a program that puts some stuff in a folder that starts with a dot and is therefore invisible. I decided to delete this invisible folder alone so I moved it to the trash after showing invisibles in the Finder.

However, rather than making the invisible files visible in the trash, Mac OS X just doesn't register anything in the trash and it doesn't give me my space back because I can't empty trash. The stuff hasn't been deleted because I can see it in my trash folder.

I know ways to make it delete - rename the folder, use the terminal or move a visible item to trash to allow emptying trash and possibly a couple of others but I just think that the trash not registering invisible items is a bit of a design flaw.
I think the problem here is that the program you are using creates invisible folders. This is not Apple's problem. This is the fault of the programmer of this third party application. This was a design flaw on that person's part. You should complain to them about hiding stuff from you.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2004, 05:02 PM

What the hell is the matter with TinkerTool? use it to make the folder visible, then delete away.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Forum Links
Forum Rules