Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 17 PowerBooks DELAYED MORE!!

17 PowerBooks DELAYED MORE!!
finalfantasy
Forum Regular
Feb 20, 2003, 08:17 PM

The shipment date for the 17 inch powerbooks has been moved to April 10th !!

Got to wait another month and a half for you PowerBooks.

LosJackal
Forum Regular
Feb 20, 2003, 08:21 PM

Originally posted by finalfantasy:
The shipment date for the 17 inch powerbooks has been moved to April 10th !!
At least give the full story...

Due to an unexpected supply delay, we are unable to ship the following item(s) by the last date you were quoted:

M8793LL/A, PBG4 17.0/1GHZ/512/60G/SD/AP/BT-USA
will now ship on or before 04/10/2003

I could email reply or call to confirm or cancel my order at this point. I chose to call, and the rep on the phone was rightfully apologetic. I appreciated that.

She didn't have any specifics on what the supply delay was, and also stressed that this is just the "next set of dates" they are given. It could certainly be shipped anytime between now and then.

Doing the math from my order date (1/7), today is 6 weeks and 2 days. That's still early for the 7-10 weeks they were quoting from day one, so I'll cross my fingers that it will still ship before the end of the month.

4/10/03 is 13 weeks and 2 days from my original order date. I hope it doesn't take that long, which is around how long I waited for my G4 450 and Cinema Display to be delivered in early 2000.
"Sawtooth" G4 450 desktop + SuperDrive
"Pismo" G3 500 PowerBook SOLD!
"Hammerhead" G4 PowerBook arrived!
www.canyouhearmenow.com

tgrundke
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 20, 2003, 08:25 PM

So the question is, how many people are going to cancel their orders?
Travis L. Grundke
Sapere Aude

HvyMtlMdns
Forum Regular
Feb 20, 2003, 08:26 PM

Apple still shows a 5-7 week time frame for orders placed today. That puts orders placed today arriving at or near this new time of April 10th. Has anyone else received a notice like this?
MacMini 2.0 Ghz C2D/160GB/2GB RAM/8x Dual-Layer SD/3X 1 TB Ext HDs; iMac C2D 20" 2.66 GHz/320GB/2GB RAM/8x Dual-Layer SD/20" Display with external 20" Apple Cinema Display; PB G4 1.67 GHz 17"/250GB/1 GB RAM/8x Dual-Layer SD; 5G iPod Classic 160GB; 2G iPod Shuffle; AppleTV

IcedOrange
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2003, 08:28 PM

Pick up a 12" or 15" now and then sell it as soon as your 17" arrives. Hopefully it doesn't devalue too much.

LosJackal
Forum Regular
Feb 20, 2003, 08:39 PM

Exactly. 7 weeks from today is 4/10, the longest you would expect to wait if you ordered one new right now.

It's just the outermost date I can expect it. I was one of the few who still had a 2/20 date, so Apple had to tell me SOMETHING today.

Personally, I'll still hope to get it in a week or two.
www.canyouhearmenow.com

HvyMtlMdns
Forum Regular
Feb 20, 2003, 08:43 PM

My order date changed two weeks ago from 3-1 to 3-24, which was within the original 7-10 week span. I hope your right that they were just adjusting the February dates.
MacMini 2.0 Ghz C2D/160GB/2GB RAM/8x Dual-Layer SD/3X 1 TB Ext HDs; iMac C2D 20" 2.66 GHz/320GB/2GB RAM/8x Dual-Layer SD/20" Display with external 20" Apple Cinema Display; PB G4 1.67 GHz 17"/250GB/1 GB RAM/8x Dual-Layer SD; 5G iPod Classic 160GB; 2G iPod Shuffle; AppleTV

sonoronos
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2003, 08:44 PM

My orderstatus is still marking March 20th.

Over Achiever
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 20, 2003, 08:55 PM

I'm just wondering why they went from 2/20 to 4/10...thats quite a change!!! Not two weeks, not four week, not six weeks, but seven weeks!!! And you were one of the first ones to order it!

This doesn't bode well for the rest of us

"It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you got."

iChristopher
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 20, 2003, 09:10 PM

Hey, cwasko. HA!
TiBook 667 DVI - 20" Cinema Display - 20GB iPod

cwasko
Senior User
Feb 20, 2003, 09:21 PM

Originally posted by iChristopher:
Hey, cwasko. HA!
Ha! What?

As I've said in previous posts, if it gets delayed, so what. As long as it is right when it gets here. I also said, in previous posts, that I'll give more credence to things if the data proves as such. However, I'm not going to take the word of anyone who posts here unless they can back it up with real data from real sources. So, if I get a notice from Apple saying it is delayed, BFD. Then, I'll believe that they will be delayed.

The problem with public forums is that they decline to F.U.D. quite rapidly. When things do not go the way people want, they start to make things up. Just like the people saying that their order got delayed, even though it was in the bounds of the shipping dates that were given out. So, when I saw posts like that, I jumped in to remind them of that particular piece of data.

So, Jerry, do you believe everything you read? I guess you do. I do not.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2003, 09:29 PM

That's hurt. Apple shouldn't announce it during Jan/2003.. rather it will be an Easter-line PowerBook.

todrain
Senior User
Feb 20, 2003, 09:37 PM

Apple's gonna miss their Q2 number big time! I'm sure that they were counting on the 17 to carry March.

HvyMtlMdns
Forum Regular
Feb 20, 2003, 09:37 PM

While concerned about a possible delay, I'm with cwasko. I would just like to hear from Apple what their official line is now. Right now, only one person has received delay notification. I'm still waiting to hear from others if they have received this information. Please let us hear from you.

And iChristopher, what is the point of throwing stones around in here. It doesn't get anyone any closer to getting their machines

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2003, 09:57 PM

Dang...this isn't good. I was planning on having my 17" PowerBook ordered in late April and in my hands by early/mid-March, which shouldn't have been a problem, but with these delays it sure has me wondering...
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

PoisonTooth
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 20, 2003, 10:45 PM

At this point, you gotta wonder if there are production issues and/or unforseen problems cropping up.

I, for one, would not want to be someone getting a first run unit. My TiBook SD will hold me over just fine.

issachar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2003, 10:47 PM

I ordered within an hour of the end of the keynote and recieved a on or before 3/20/03 date and that has as of yet not been changed....

Hey you Jobs...get em moving...

PBAddict
Forum Regular
Feb 20, 2003, 10:51 PM

At this rate it will be dur for a processor upgraded before it even starts shipping. The 1 GHz cpu was introduced to PBs in November, therefore April /May should be due update to at least 1.2 GHz

iChristopher
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 20, 2003, 11:14 PM

Originally posted by cwasko:
Ha! What?
As my 9-year old nephew says:

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha.

HA!!!

Commodus
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2003, 11:17 PM

Remember when Jobs said how there were two MacWorlds' worth of announcements at MWSF? I think that was said partly because some of the products really would have been announced in March if possible!
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

tgrundke
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 21, 2003, 12:34 AM

This does not bode well for Apple's quarterly results, as the majority of the revenue (if any!) from the 17" PowerBook won't get booked in the quarter.

I'm also starting to get a bit nervous from reading reports on 12" PowerBook issues that are already cropping up - especially with screws and trackpad buttons. Between the MacNN forum and about three others that I follow, I've already counted about 17 unique comments on problems with PowerBook 12" models.

My belief is that the 17" PowerBook is having technical/manufacturing issues and this has nothing to do with "incredible customer demand". While I'm sure there's a great amount of pent-up demand for the product, *nobody*, including Apple Stores, has received a regular production run unit.

It's funny - Macs can sometimes be like Volkswagens: never *ever* buy the first production run of the product. ;-)
Travis L. Grundke
Sapere Aude

LosJackal
Forum Regular
Feb 21, 2003, 01:08 AM

Apple Store online is now reporting 4-6 week shipping wait for new 17" PowerBook orders.

So 6 weeks from today is 4/3/03.

For anyone concerned, I've heard of 3 people (including myself) whose date was 2/20 and changed to 4/10.

I verified with my online order status that it did change to 4/10. But checking now, it's back to 2/20. Strange.

I'm positive these things will materialize early to mid-March. Apple's quarterly results will be fine.
www.canyouhearmenow.com

cwasko
Senior User
Feb 21, 2003, 01:10 AM

As my 9-year old nephew says:

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha.

HA!!!
And, as I say

iChristopher
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 21, 2003, 01:41 AM

Sorry, it's just that this particular individual jumped me for innocently posting an opinion. I hope Apple comes out tomorrow and says the machines are shipping next week, that would be great!

I could have taken the high road, but my cyberego just couldn't handle it.

Originally posted by HvyMtlMdns:
While concerned about a possible delay, I'm with cwasko. I would just like to hear from Apple what their official line is now. Right now, only one person has received delay notification. I'm still waiting to hear from others if they have received this information. Please let us hear from you.

And iChristopher, what is the point of throwing stones around in here. It doesn't get anyone any closer to getting their machines

crazyEric
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2003, 02:03 AM

Who came out with this info? I ordered my PB17 less than 2 hours after the keynote and I am still showing a 3.20.03 on or before date.

And why does this mysterious reader post that he was supposed to get his 17 on 2.20? Does he mean 3.20 like so many others that I know who ordered their 17 during/right after the keynote?

As Ted Bundy said "Just the facts, ma'am".

LosJackal
Forum Regular
Feb 21, 2003, 02:29 AM

I'm not sure which mysterious reader you are referring to. If me, then no, I do mean 2/20. I have PDF screenshots for the past two weeks to prove it. In fact, it still says it right now. On the MacRumors forums there are two other people I know of.

I ordered within the hour after the keynote ended, one of the first to get through the Apple Store. The store said 30 days, but my date has been 2/20 all along. Apple sent me an email by the end of the day saying 7-10 weeks, which technically isn't until at least next week.
www.canyouhearmenow.com

iChristopher
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 21, 2003, 03:11 AM

Originally posted by LosJackal:
I'm positive these things will materialize early to mid-March. Apple's quarterly results will be fine.
You mean you HOPE they will, as we all do. I don't think Apple knows when they are going to ship based on the various reports all over the Net.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 21, 2003, 03:41 AM

Originally posted by tgrundke:
My belief is that the 17" PowerBook is having technical/manufacturing issues and this has nothing to do with "incredible customer demand". While I'm sure there's a great amount of pent-up demand for the product, *nobody*, including Apple Stores, has received a regular production run unit.
The Palo Alto store supposedly has one.

tooki

cdrgonzo20
Feb 21, 2003, 05:26 AM

I'm sure their bottom line won't change much, they are usually (except winter 2000) very very close to analyst predictions. However, I wonder what this will do to the product cycles? If this is the year of the notebook, it's going to look a little poor if we're stuck at 1Ghz for a year.

This is probably entirely out of the question, but would it make some sense, given some original issues, to halt production entirely and pop in 1.2 ghz chips, coupled with a 15.4" Al w/ 1.2 ghz chips... As it is now, April would be about the time we would normally be expecting upgrades to that line. If they release the 17" with the 1ghz chip, then that means that we won't see upgrades until late this year. The desktops are looking pretty silly in terms of speed compared to PC's, and the laptops are looking even worse. I'm not one that believes in the speed issue's severity in the first place, but it is an interesting point to note when PC laptops are, by late this year, virtually all going to be hovering above 2ghz and breaking passed 3ghz.
There is no emoticon for what I am feeling!
-------------------------------------
My system specs:

2 furry caches
17" diaganol quad pumped weener
198 lb ham
44x36x57 CWR
overpriced, underperforming, but sleek nonetheless.

I also have a G4.

badnewsblair
Senior User
Feb 21, 2003, 05:52 AM

April!? Well, that sucks. But I originally wasn't supposed to get one until I graduated anyway (graduation present). So getting it in April is still before when I originally thought I would get.

Its not possible that the first run (those who ordered in the foloowing hours of Keynote) had defects and they are just pushing back those quick responding individuals to the back of the line as they say? That wouldn't be right.

I'm still keeping hope that Apple is just padding their dates to cover their butts and my 17" will show up between the last week in March and April.

Keep the hope alive!
[ 15 inch Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo ][ 20 inch Intel iMac 2 GB RAM / 256 MB ATI XT 1600 ][ iPhone OG (3GS on Reservation)][ White iPod 5th Gen. 60GB ]

badnewsblair
Senior User
Feb 21, 2003, 05:54 AM

I just checked my date and its April 30th! Arg!

I have to put up with my PEECEE for another 20 months!
[ 15 inch Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo ][ 20 inch Intel iMac 2 GB RAM / 256 MB ATI XT 1600 ][ iPhone OG (3GS on Reservation)][ White iPod 5th Gen. 60GB ]

maelstrom65
Forum Regular
Feb 21, 2003, 06:55 AM

My shipping date still says 03/11/2003

cwasko
Senior User
Feb 21, 2003, 08:30 AM

Sorry, it's just that this particular individual jumped me for innocently posting an opinion. I hope Apple comes out tomorrow and says the machines are shipping next week, that would be great!

I could have taken the high road, but my cyberego just couldn't handle it.
I posted a logical argument to your opinion and then you jumped and called me Geraldo. So, Jerry, if you don't like the heat... got off the 12" palm rest...

I'm hoping they ship soon as well, obviously - since I ordered one. My shipping date (on or before 3/21/2003) has not changed since the day I ordered - 1/9/2003. I have not received notification from Apple that the shipping date has changed. I imagine that if a delay is immanent for my order, they probably will notify me shortly before my 'on or before' date is about to expire.
( Last edited by cwasko; Feb 21, 2003 at 10:01 AM. )

cwasko
Senior User
Feb 21, 2003, 09:02 AM

I just went to the online store and pretended to order a 17". The shipping date range now specifies 4-6 weeks.

jsiburt
Feb 21, 2003, 10:44 AM

You know . . . the first person to receive their 17" "Austin" Powerbook could sell it for three times as much on ebay within the first few days.

To bad I cancelled mine several weeks ago.

Just think Tijay could have bought several 17" PB with his earnings!!!

tgrundke
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 21, 2003, 10:45 AM

Tooki:

They do, but the store has also stated that it is only a pre-production unit. As I stated in my post, "nobody has received a normal production unit."

Originally posted by tooki:
The Palo Alto store supposedly has one.

tooki
Travis L. Grundke
Sapere Aude

tgrundke
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 21, 2003, 10:48 AM

cdrgonzo20:

My thoughts exactly. Apple cannot seriously think they're going to keep the 17" at 1GHz for twelve more months. I'm of the opinion that Cupertino is moving to a more frequent product update cycle.

So assuming that most people get their PowerBooks by April, I would also suspect that processor upgrades must be in the works for June - August.

Originally posted by cdrgonzo20:
I'm sure their bottom line won't change much, they are usually (except winter 2000) very very close to analyst predictions. However, I wonder what this will do to the product cycles? If this is the year of the notebook, it's going to look a little poor if we're stuck at 1Ghz for a year.
Travis L. Grundke
Sapere Aude

tgrundke
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 21, 2003, 10:53 AM

According to the Macnn homepage article about the shipping delays, "According to the phone staffer I spoke with at Apple, the machines ordered the day of the announcement will now not be available any earlier than March 20th and as late as April 10th.

Which means to me that those who ordered *after* the keynote are looking at mid-April at the earliest.

Some serious bad karma going on here...
Travis L. Grundke
Sapere Aude

jsiburt
Feb 21, 2003, 10:54 AM

Since the 12" is "mini me" then I think the "Austin" Powerbook sounds plausible. You know because it has "mojo" inside baby!

Then again we call also just call it the "Yao-book"

cwasko
Senior User
Feb 21, 2003, 11:12 AM

Originally posted by tgrundke:
According to the Macnn homepage article about the shipping delays, "According to the phone staffer I spoke with at Apple, the machines ordered the day of the announcement will now not be available any earlier than March 20th and as late as April 10th.

Which means to me that those who ordered *after* the keynote are looking at mid-April at the earliest.
What I find very odd, is that yesterday the estimated shipping for the 17" was 5-7 weeks. Now they are saying 4-6 weeks. Mind you, this is for NEW orders. In 4 weeks that will be pushing my 'on or before' shipping date. In 6 weeks, it will be just before the date on MacNN's new page. So, if you assume that Apple's order system works by FIFO then, by definition, all orders placed before today will ship in under 4 weeks. This, of course, is assuming that the estimated shipping info that Apple just updated today is correct.

So, it seems as though there is some conflicting information everywhere. So the question is, which information is 'correct'?
( Last edited by cwasko; Feb 21, 2003 at 11:18 AM. )

exodar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2003, 11:27 AM

I just called MacMall and they said my ship date is still between Feb 25th and Feb 28th. He said that they have not heard of any other delays in shipping as of yet and they will know closer to those dates if things will be pushed back.

Of course, they could be leading people on so they won't cancel orders

maelstrom65
Forum Regular
Feb 21, 2003, 11:45 AM

I just called Apple and they are still adamant that my order has not been delayed. I have to admit this conflicting info crap blows. My own fault for reading these forums everyday I guess

For now, I'm sticking with Apple and going with the 03/11/2003 shipping date as detailed on the order status page.

On a sidenote; the Brenthaven shoulder bag is supposed to ship Feb 26th now (it was 03/11/2003 just like the Austin Powerbook) that's good news

Maelstrom

(PeeCee user but soon to be proud owner of a 17" 1Ghz G4 Powerbook)

Daniel Bayer
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 21, 2003, 12:14 PM

Well,

This makes me feel a bit better about the product release cycle of last note.

I had my ti-1GHZ for 2 weeks when the new books were announced. I would have gladly waited another month or 6 weeks....but not as long as you guys are having to wait...

Ahhh.....1ghz with no bugs.

It will be very interesting to see what bugs do come out of these new rigs.

I would love to have one down the road but The speed is is pretty much the same, DDR giving it a bit of a boost. Besides that....1GB memory chips are starting to appear...I'd cancel and wait guys...
"I'll take a extra layer of ram on that
gigaflop sandwich mister"

iChristopher
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 21, 2003, 01:18 PM

Prices will vary based on optional warped case, self-removing screws, and sticky trackpad buttons.

Originally posted by jsiburt:
You know . . . the first person to receive their 17" "Austin" Powerbook could sell it for three times as much on ebay within the first few days.

To bad I cancelled mine several weeks ago.

Just think Tijay could have bought several 17" PB with his earnings!!!

erichen
Forum Regular
Feb 23, 2003, 12:15 AM

Originally posted by cwasko:
I just went to the online store and pretended to order a 17". The shipping date range now specifies 4-6 weeks.
Nice Try! But it doesn't work~ I've tried that several times and it always showed "4-6 weeks" But when I finally placed my order, they sent me an e-mail confirmation, and guess what? The estimate shipping date is 10 weeks (I placed my order on Feb. 19th, and my est. date is on or before Apr. 30)

~Eric

iChristopher
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 23, 2003, 06:48 PM

Wow, that is just wrong.

Originally posted by erichen:
Nice Try! But it doesn't work~ I've tried that several times and it always showed "4-6 weeks" But when I finally placed my order, they sent me an e-mail confirmation, and guess what? The estimate shipping date is 10 weeks (I placed my order on Feb. 19th, and my est. date is on or before Apr. 30)

kuopio2002
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 24, 2003, 03:07 PM

Any information about the shipment date?

Here in Spain, a reseller said me that they will recive powerbooks 17" betwen frebrary 25th and march 7.

Forum Links
Forum Rules