Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PB 17" design flaws...

PB 17" design flaws... (Page 2)
slffl
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 20, 2003, 02:39 PM

I've noticed quite a few people complaining about the resolution of apple displays compared to pc laptop displays. I for one HATE the resolution of PC displays. I can't even workk comfortably on a 21" CRT in 1600x1200 let alone on a 15" laptop display. I hope apple sticks with usable display resolutions instead of going for the marketing hype of an "Ultra XGA Ultra Sharp" resolution crap.

emumu  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2003, 02:57 PM

Originally posted by slffl:
I've noticed quite a few people complaining about the resolution of apple displays compared to pc laptop displays. I for one HATE the resolution of PC displays. I can't even workk comfortably on a 21" CRT in 1600x1200 let alone on a 15" laptop display. I hope apple sticks with usable display resolutions instead of going for the marketing hype of an "Ultra XGA Ultra Sharp" resolution crap.
I think all resolutions should be made available to various type of users. I for instance have to deal with multiple timeline/graphical based apps. Reading text is not much of the concern. The more real estate I can view the less need for me to scroll back and forth and flip between windows. For others who have single window operation and large font display, the current setting might be the ideal. One of my colleagues has a 20" monitor and he always use 1024x768 with 2.0 eyes. I think the technologies is out there, Apple just need to make them available for people to configure what's the best for us.

slffl
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 20, 2003, 05:37 PM

Originally posted by emumu:
I think all resolutions should be made available to various type of users. I for instance have to deal with multiple timeline/graphical based apps. Reading text is not much of the concern. The more real estate I can view the less need for me to scroll back and forth and flip between windows. For others who have single window operation and large font display, the current setting might be the ideal. One of my colleagues has a 20" monitor and he always use 1024x768 with 2.0 eyes. I think the technologies is out there, Apple just need to make them available for people to configure what's the best for us.
That's true, it would be nice if you could choose the res like you can with PC laptops. I guess I've already grown accutom to Apple's limited upgradeable options.

iChristopher
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 20, 2003, 09:01 PM

So what does it say now, cwasko?

Originally posted by cwasko:

I'll repeat this again. And it obviously will not be the last time.

When I ordered by 17", Apple's website said 7-10 weeks. 7 weeks from the time I orded will be the last week in Feb. 10 weeks from the time I ordered will be the 3rd week in March. Shortll after I ordered, Apple revised their website and now shows a 'on or before' date. My on or before date is 3/21/2003. So, yes, I guess it could ship as late as 3/21/2003. But, it could also ship before that.

Since February is not over yet, it is a little hard pressed to say that the shipping dates have been pushed back. Especially if the only reference data is the 'on or before' dates that everyone is posting. If we get past the end of February and no retailer or AppleStore customer has received one yet, then maybe then I'll give some credence to the original post.

If there are indeed problems, then obviously I hope they get them resolved before they ship it, and as far as I'm concerned, they can take all the time they want to resolve them. If they end up releasing something else that I like in that time frame, then I'll just cancel my order and get that instead. I'm not trying to underplay the situation here, but no one can tell me they absolutely need the 17" now... considering the substantial time period between announcement and the initial estimates on the shipping date; if you needed something *now* you would not have ordered the 17".
TiBook 667 DVI - 20" Cinema Display - 20GB iPod

capuchin
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 20, 2003, 09:08 PM

Yea, like, how anyone reads this as a credible source is beyond me.

I speak to people that ARE inside people at Apple almost once a week. Does this mean that we speak about the 17"? Does this mean they know jack-squat about the 17"? I'll belive there is a 'delay' when 1) nothing ships in February and/or 2) My order does not ship 'on or before' 3/21/2003.
How do you get inside people who are at Apple? Wait, nevermind...
All opinions are entirely those of my employer. It's not my fault.

cwasko
Senior User
Feb 20, 2003, 09:09 PM

Originally posted by iChristopher:
So what does it say now, cwasko?
It still say 3/21/2003, Jerry.

cwasko
Senior User
Feb 20, 2003, 09:11 PM

Originally posted by capuchin:
How do you get inside people who are at Apple? Wait, nevermind...
Easy, get on a few beta test programs. But, its all under NDA anyway. My point about it was just because you know someone at Apple does not mean they know jack squat about anything.

emumu  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2003, 03:20 AM

So the delay is true...

iChristopher
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 21, 2003, 05:04 AM

Yeah, good luck with that.
TiBook 667 DVI - 20" Cinema Display - 20GB iPod

cwasko
Senior User
Feb 21, 2003, 08:14 AM

Originally posted by emumu:
So the delay is true...
Its said that date since the day I ordered, January 9th. It marks the 10th week after I ordered. I was given 7-10 weeks as a shipping range.

Originally posted by iChristopher:
Yeah, good luck with that.
Gee... thanks

Untill I receive a letter from Apple or the date changes, or there is a flood of people saying the same thing, why should I expect any different? Just becasue you believe the date isn't true?

I read somewhere that we actualy didn't land on the moon and its all been a big hoax. These people backed everything up with valid technical arguments and had many people behind their movement. Does this means its true? You decide.
( Last edited by cwasko; Feb 21, 2003 at 09:59 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules