Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12" PB Woes -- 5th one is the charm?!

12" PB Woes -- 5th one is the charm?!
snaab
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2003, 02:41 PM

I have owned a 12" PB now for about a month... and this is my story.

I bought one of the first ones to arrive at the store in Arlington, VA (Clarendon). Took it home, loaded it up, was off and running. About two weeks later, I took it on a business trip to Boston. Upon returning, I was pulled aside for additional searching at Logan airport. The TSA folks were foolin' around with the PB when I noticed a screw popped out of the screen.

I took it back to the store the following day, and they fixed it (it was in the bottom left hand corner of the screen, so I couldn't fix it myself). While they had it apart, they noticed that the other screw was loose and tightened it. They brought it back and set it at the Genius Bar, and I noticed that the thing wobbled. Not a slight wobble, but a pretty significant wobble. The case was warped. They offered to replace the PB right then and there.

I brought the box & all back the next day for a replacement. I upgraded to a SuperDrive (from a combo) and was on my way. Later that day, I opened it up and was testing it out. The trackpad button stuck! I would stick and then pop out about 3 seconds later. Needless to say, I went back to the Apple store.

Two more PBs later (the next one wouldn't boot and the 4th one had the same trackpad button issues) they had nothing else to offer me. The folks at the store were amazed. They had never seen such anything like this. I was very dissappointed and quite disgusted. I got a refund and left.

The next day, I decided to try out the Tyson's Corner store. To make a long story short, I walked out with my 5th PB. This one doesn't have any of the problems of the other 4. Since then, a friend of mine who also owns a PB has lost a screw on his. Are we the only ones with these problems?!?!

Should I write Apple about this? Your thoughts are appreciated.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 20, 2003, 03:07 PM

You should certainly write Apple so that they can be informed of the quality control problems.

I'm glad your 5th powerbook has been good so far, and hope that it continues to be reliable for the future.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

Rivak
Forum Regular
Feb 20, 2003, 03:16 PM

Sorry to hear about your trouble. My replacement is being shipped to me as we speak. I hope 2 is my lucky number.

I agree, you should call Apple and tell them about your situation, also let them know that you�re still loyal to them after all you�ve gone through (if you still are).

Hope everything works out with #5

lawgeek
Forum Regular
Feb 20, 2003, 04:25 PM

There are always going to be some small problems on the first version, but your problems don't sound all that minor. I'm just glad that my 12" that I picked up the first day they were available is still absolutely perfect...

ddma
Forum Regular
Feb 20, 2003, 07:23 PM

Oh dear, I experienced the same problem with you! I noticed that one screw of the screen was popped when I tried to close the screen but somehow I couoldn't close it. Luckily, I have the screw driver so that I could fix it by myself.

Mac Boy
Feb 20, 2003, 08:16 PM

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. Thought I'd chime in here with some positive news... just got my Powerbook yesterday. Perfect in every way. No bad pixels, nothing wrong.

It seems that whatever kinks the first batch had has been solved.

- Ross

finalfantasy
Forum Regular
Feb 20, 2003, 08:37 PM

How is the computer in general?

Im thinking of buying one for myself.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 20, 2003, 08:55 PM

I'd probably go crazy if that happened to me. Luckily my 12" doesn't seem to have any of those problems. It's a great machine -- I hope you got a perfect one this time!

real
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 20, 2003, 09:13 PM

I have the same track pad button problem, sending my PB back when I getthe return box from apple hopefully monday
With some loud music + a friend to chat nearby you can get alot done. - but jezz, I'd avoid it if I had the choice---- If only real people came with Alpha Channels.......:)
AIM:xflaer
deinterlaced.com

hall
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2003, 12:06 AM

i've got the same wobble. i've only had it a few days so no screws popping out yet.

anyone have a "wavey" keyboard? around the "7" and F7 buttons, it is higher. i can also see the case is bowed upwards when i lean down and look at it from table level.

anyone else seen this?

thanks

iChristopher
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 21, 2003, 05:13 AM

5 PowerBooks and there's a good chance the one you have now will end up going back to Apple for repair before the first year is up. How much money do you think they have lost on this one customer alone? They are going to get KILLED on this product launch, with all the returns, replacements, and repairs in Texas.

My wife has a first gen iBook (dual USB), and that thing has been perfect, no defects whatsoever. I know first run products are likely to have some defects, but it seems to me some of these are non-trivial and widespread.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm not impressed with the quality control on these 12" PowerBooks. I'm an early adopter all they way, but these issues make me wonder what kind of problems the 17" might present.
TiBook 667 DVI - 20" Cinema Display - 20GB iPod

Infinite Loop
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2003, 05:21 AM

hmm..

Sorry to hear about your problem. I just got mine from Apple Store and it's perfect so far. Hope you got the perfect one this time. You should definately write to Apple.

iChristopher
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 21, 2003, 05:21 AM

I'm not an Apple Certified Technician, but that sounds like a defect or two. Order your plain brown box and tell your PowerBook she's going on an all expense paid vacation to Texas.

Originally posted by hall:
i've got the same wobble. i've only had it a few days so no screws popping out yet.

anyone have a "wavey" keyboard? around the "7" and F7 buttons, it is higher. i can also see the case is bowed upwards when i lean down and look at it from table level.

anyone else seen this?

thanks
TiBook 667 DVI - 20" Cinema Display - 20GB iPod

Forum Links
Forum Rules